My 1st trip to the Land, what was it like for you?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Probot
Servant of the Land

My 1st trip to the Land, what was it like for you?

Post by Probot »

Hello Watchers,
Fairly new to the Watch and loving it... thank you all. Been reading a thread in which LFB is being discounted as rubbish, and it got my memory in motion.

The year was 2002. An old roomate of mine stored his bookcase in my room, filled with a literal hodgepodge. Fiction, Non, Religeous text, art books, everything. I had moved to a new area, and was plucking books from his shelf in no particular order... untill I read Lord Foul's Bane. Having no real attachment to fantasy fiction as a genre, I was blown away by the reaction it evoked in me.

There were many things about TC I didn't like, and these very things fueled what became a rampant readathon. I hadn't encountered an antihero with such a good reason to be so antiheroic, leprosy is an altogether singular condition... nothing so physically and emotionally traumatic as watching ones body fall apart. To live an accept such a thing... and then be granted limitless power, hellfire, that's good reading.

I simply could not get enough. Angry at the nights I'd finish and not have the next to move to immediatley. Once reading them through, reading them again, and again. These books effect me like few others, and none in fantasy fiction.

How did it start for you? I'm early mid life crisis-ing, and am trying to figure out why I love what I love. What is it that makes this series such a powerhouse? I feel like I'm at an AA meeting... "My name is Ryan, and I'm a Covaholic..." Just looking for others who can't live without the sweet taste of aliantha on their lips and their stories... thank you Watchers!

Also thinking about sealing the covenant, as it were, with a tatoo. Fan art or any other suggestions please!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king." -Tom Waits
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Re: My 1st trip to the Land, what was it like for you?

Post by Menolly »

Probot wrote:Hello Watchers,
Fairly new to the Watch and loving it... thank you all.
I think I have already extended Well Come to you up in The Summonsing, but if not...

Be Welcome to the Watch, Probot.
Be Well Come and True.
Probot wrote:Also thinking about sealing the covenant, as it were, with a tatoo. Fan art or any other suggestions please!
Well...

This is the tattoo, but it is a bit feminine...

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1479

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1255
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Fairly new to the Watch and loving it... thank you all. Been reading a thread in which LFB is being discounted as rubbish
That thread was trolled (if I'm thinking about the same thread).
It's horrible that that was your introduction to the Watch! :evil:
It's not indicative of 99.99% of the threads here.
LFB rocks!
It's why we're here.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
Fairly new to the Watch and loving it... thank you all. Been reading a thread in which LFB is being discounted as rubbish
That thread was trolled (if I'm thinking about the same thread).
It's horrible that that was your introduction to the Watch! :evil:
It's not indicative of 99.99% of the threads here.
LFB rocks!
It's why we're here.
Yeah. I'm waiting for said Troll to come back for Round 3...I will never understand people who get warned, then banned, and then come back to exhibit the same behavior that got them warned and banned in the first place. Maybe we should have just directed him to the Tank... ;)

Oh well...
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Probot
Servant of the Land

Post by Probot »

Done enough back reading to know this isn't a haters forum, Linden aside. Just floored at the bashing LFB/Chrons 1&2 were taking! I returned cans to purchase TPTP, and I consider the passion I've read on the Watch validation, though none is really required... nobody read these books to be cool, I'm sure. ;)

But this series is as much a part of my life, my everyday thought, as anything else I've ingested... it just feels odd to me because I don't pour over the genre like fantasy fic fans are thought to. In fact, I'm much more inclined toward other genres! Just trying to get to the core of what makes this so different, so impactful. I've read, seen, heard so much... why the wielder?

The joy is in the ears that hear, or in my case, the eyes that read... searching for that common thread that makes us all fans. Life is truly a joyous puzzle to construct!
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

I wish insect had not been banned. We need people like him, believe it or not. I hope he does come back. If he'd be less contemptuous of others he'd be a great asset around here. The guy is no dummy.

-----

I can't think of my specific feelings about my first time through the Chronicles, but I do know that I had never read anything quite like it before. It was genuine Adult Fantasy. There isn't much of that going around, even today. Those three (and eventually six) books blew me completely away.

I also remember being unable/unwilling to re-read The Lord of the Rings trilogy for a long time after reading the Chronicles of TC. Tolkien's books seemed so childish in comparison. Fortunately, I can now read both series for what they are and still get immense pleasure out of them.
Meets or Exceeds International Humane Kill Standards.

Perpetual Motion or Until the Rubber Band Wears Out Motion
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Demondim-spawn wrote:I wish insect had not been banned. We need people like him, believe it or not. I hope he does come back. If he'd be less contemptuous of others he'd be a great asset around here. The guy is no dummy.
I'm with you right up until he starts purposefully spoiling things and insulting the Mods. The people who help run this place do an outstanding job and should be respected, and he needs to at least attempt to respect others. Beyond that, I agree, we need as many diverse opinions as possible.

For me, I just re-read the First Chronicles this past week (I spent a few days traveling by plane) and I still get that sense of chills when Mhoram and Bannor enter the story. I always wanted to be one or the other of them and live in this wondrous world. I also remember to this day how indignant I was when I started the 2nd Chronicles as far as what had been done to the Land, and I shared TC's rage at what had happened. Very few books get me so involved in caring about the setting of the story, in addition to the characters.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Good post, probot.

I read LFB first time back in '81 or so. I was in college.

College has a lot of ways to be tough on freshmen. When I found the Chronicles, I found a story about perseverence and principals, about adversity and vindication. That really connected with me and the time I was in.

Of course, no I am older, and have a family. Now I see the Chronicles, especially the Second Chronicles, as a story about love and devotion, about sacrifice and salvation. Different times, different connectgion.
Probot
Servant of the Land

Post by Probot »

Stone and Sea, when the 2nd Chrons kick off... I had the same feeling. That's when I knew I was hooked, I cared so much! Oh the Land!
And I'm all for healthy debate... I even like to argue. Grendel exists so Beowulf can be heroic... but Grendel dies yeah? As Walter states in The Big Lebowski, "This is not Nam, there are rules..." Insect went over the line!
High Lord Tolkien

Spoiler
a troll is a troll is a troll. do not feed the trolls.

I think I remember buying LFB because of the cover.
It was the red "bridge" one .
I just thought it was cool.
It was the early 1980's and Tolkien rip-offs were all over the place.
But something about this read different as I read the description on the back.
But mainly I liked the cover.
And sorry everyone, I liked the title. I thought it was cool too.

So then the first chapter and my first introduction to leprosy......yeah that was fun and people wonder why this book is so difficult to start with. :lol:
But I got the whole numb concept and the juxtaposition with the vitality of the Land immediately.
Lena was no big deal to me, I thought the euphemisms SRD used minimized the graphic details but got the message through.
I was hooked by that point anyway, healing golden flakes in mud?
This teenage type1 diabetic was enthralled.
I think I was more bothered by the fact that the Lena incident took me away from how the heck Trell was able to do what he was doing.
Antarian bored the heck out of me.
I didn't understand the dead Wanyhim and had no interest in it.
I don't think I had any interest in that whole race of beings until Runes to be honest.
Foamfollower....a giant...riding in a boat?
A boat?
Does any else realize how odd that is?
It was to me.
I've never heard of something like that before.
Giants were always dumb monsters before LFB.
And then the Bloodguard using what I assumed was a type velcro.
And because they were described as having curly short cropped hair I always pictured them as being black.
I thought that was wild.
Revelstone didn't impress me until later, in LFB it was just a castle to me.
But then I read about friendly Lords using blue lords fire.
And only using 5 repetitive "magic" words and not some made up Dr Strange type spells.
So simple and elegant.
Add that to the dedication to the Land.
I was done.
Game over.
TC even stopped being a character.
My focus became the characters around him, not him.
It was only on my 6th or 7th read through when I knew the other characters so well that I started to focus on TC.

Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Probot wrote: But this series is as much a part of my life, my everyday thought, as anything else I've ingested... it just feels odd to me because I don't pour over the genre like fantasy fic fans are thought to. In fact, I'm much more inclined toward other genres! Just trying to get to the core of what makes this so different, so impactful. I've read, seen, heard so much... why the wielder?
Like you my attraction is for these books specifically. Although I do enjoy some other scifi, I lean toward other genres as well.

I first read these books in the 70's. It was a difficult time in my life and I was struggling with a lot of internal and external issues. Many of these things were pretty serious and led me to a world of despair and a whole lot of self loathing. The appearance of the first trilogy was a gift from above. I was able to see a man filled with horrible despair and self loathing survive and find meaning in his life. I hope you do not think I am being overly dramatic (which I have been accused of) when I say the books saved my life.

Over the years, when things get hard, when I feel I am losing my way again I return and begin a reread. I have done it many times over the years and each time I learn something new.

I have also been fortunate to find this site, where I am "allowed" to share these feelings without anyone judging me or ignoring me. I think you will find the people here very kind and welcoming.

Good luck here and welcome!
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Yeah Lorin, I can totally relate to that. Only with me it was in reverse. At the end of the 70's I was what you would describe as a 'happy-go-lucky' person - a little bit of a hippy. Then I met three lads who introduced me to the Chronicles. I must have been really green in those days because I began to believe that 'real magic' might possibly exist. Why would a seemingly intelligent grown man write convincing stories about magic? Unfortunately, my new friends were reluctant to talk openly about these books, as if it were a great secret: 'that's for us to know and you to find out' kind of thing.

[In hindsight, they were very much like Lal and Wayne].

Anyway, I soon found that I was in love with the Land. And because of all this, I was suddenly plunged into a world of self-loathing and despair. Like I wasn't fit to be part of something so good. Tongue-tied and twisted, I was horrified to find myself walking in Covenant's shoes (and they're not very comfortable to say the least!). But the strangest thing of all, was the realisation that there was only one way out. One way out of a swirling world of chaos!...Well, you know the story. We all do.

I guess it was just me coming out of my shell. It was my time to grow up. Stephen Donaldson is truly an amazing author!
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Krazy Kat wrote:Yeah Lorin, I can totally relate to that. Only with me it was in reverse. At the end of the 70's I was what you would describe as a 'happy-go-lucky' person - a little bit of a hippy. Then I met three lads who introduced me to the Chronicles. I must have been really green in those days because I began to believe that 'real magic' might possibly exist. Why would a seemingly intelligent grown man write convincing stories about magic? Unfortunately, my new friends were reluctant to talk openly about these books, as if it were a great secret: 'that's for us to know and you to find out' kind of thing.

[In hindsight, they were very much like Lal and Wayne].

Anyway, I soon found that I was in love with the Land. And because of all this, I was suddenly plunged into a world of self-loathing and despair. Like I wasn't fit to be part of something so good. Tongue-tied and twisted, I was horrified to find myself walking in Covenant's shoes (and they're not very comfortable to say the least!). But the strangest thing of all, was the realisation that there was only one way out. One way out of a swirling world of chaos!...Well, you know the story. We all do.

I guess it was just me coming out of my shell. It was my time to grow up. Stephen Donaldson is truly an amazing author!
As I am moving into a different stage in my life I find myself coming full circle (isnt that always the way) I spent the last gazillion years working in the social service field and these days I ask myself what for......... The hardest thing at this point is coming to terms with the fact that there is never going to be a place like that, a world of magic and light. I guess over the years I kept hoping I would discover something, anything magical. But all magic dwells in our imagination I guess. I guess that is why I enjoy the people at this site......I think they still believe in magic.

now i'm weepy.................yuck
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

lorin wrote:I guess that is why I enjoy the people at this site......I think they still believe in magic.
*raises hand*

...I do...
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Welcome Probot.. and be sure to trout slap HLT.. :roll:

(I heard he likes that.. Just don't do to the old phartes here... like me.. :P )
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
High Lord Tolkien

Ur Dead wrote:Welcome Probot.. and be sure to trout slap HLT.. :roll:

Huh? What did I do?
I gave Probot encouragement, you dumbass. :P
Ur Dead wrote:(I heard he likes that.. )

Who told you?!

:lol:

Image Image Image Image
Probot
Servant of the Land

Post by Probot »

I'll be doing no slapping, trout or otherwise.
Thanks everyone for sharing thusfar!
I am a burgeoning stand up comic, and do a bit about believing I had super powers when I was young. Getting to the conclusion that I did not makes for a pretty funny bit, but the actual disappointment was devastating. The punch line... I still try. At McDonalds drive thru, with a sweeping hand motion... "You will accidentally supersize me... AND PIE!" I would stop, it's crazy, I know that, but occasionally...
Black Asgard
Woodhelvennin

Post by Black Asgard »

I was in a bit of a trough after writing a long story, and my father gifted to me the entire First Chronicles. I read them voraciously, and then again. They've been lent out several times, and I'm making my way through their tattered, beaten, well-loved pages for a third time, intent on making it through to Fatal Revanant for the first time (I haven't read the second Chronicles--I just discovered them, let alone the Last).

I bought them all and they're sitting like an uncontrollable addiction on my dresser, apart from the rest of my overburdened bookshelves.

I can't wait, and I mean that, to get to the Second Chronicles. I'm into the last hundred pages of TPTP. Going to devour it tonight, probably.

I often, while reading them, pause for reflection and find myself wishing intensely to go stand beside Mhoram and overlook Satansfist's armies, to ride with Hile Troy, or even watch Trell fix that stoneware bowl--there is something precious in the Land that we don't have here, and it's like a massive tease on Donaldson's part to show us something so beautiful.

Alas.
hpty603
Woodhelvennin

Post by hpty603 »

Krazy Kat wrote:But the strangest thing of all, was the realisation that there was only one way out. One way out of a swirling world of chaos!...Well, you know the story. We all do.
Putting on a white gold ring and jumping into oncoming traffic?

Linden should have quailed. His certainty was as bitter as the touch of a Raver: it should have defeated her. But it did not. How often had she heard Lord Foul or his servants prophesy destruction, attempting to impose despair? And how often had Thomas Covenant shown her that it was possible to stand upright under the weight of utter hopelessness?
SecondGeneration
Servant of the Land

Chance Meeting in a Bookstore.

Post by SecondGeneration »

In true TC fashion, I ended up in the as the result of several accidental events.

My dad (as you can tell by me username) tried to get me to read the books when I was about 12. I tried it, couldn't get into it and gave up (good thing too!). For some reason, I remembered the books, though. I think it had something to do with my religious views (or rather, the change and definition of my religion/spirituality) at the time. The title "Unbeliever" was pretty cool, and it stuck.

Many a moon later, I was wandering my local bookstore waiting for a the Lenscrafters to open (a pad had fallen off my glasses). I went to find the final installations of the "Shadow" books by Orson Scott Card (which are fantastic and much better than the "Ender" sequence in my opinion). While reading the back of some of his other books, I saw a blurb which compared him to Stephen Donaldson and the Covenant books. I went down the row, picked up LFB and figured I could stand to spend a few bucks to give the series another chance.

Later that month, I had a babysitting job. I wanted something to do while the kids slept, so I threw LFB in my bag. After the kids were bedded down, I opened the book and began to read.

In the silence of that house, something about the words seemed magical. I was completely and utterly drawn in to the world of Thomas Covenant. Even before he made it to the Land, cared about what happened to him. In the back of my mind, something registered how utterly tragic his life was, and how it was overly dramatic... but the reality of TC and his struggles was what made the book work. The characters of the Land are extremely, even painfully, realistic. They make mistakes, the don't get away with things, they get hurt... their world may be fiction, but the reactions are real.

As I raced thorugh LFB, I could see the Land in my head. Mithil Stonedown, Kevin's Watch, Revelstone... through the words, even something like the alitantha seems like a real thing (I picture it as an overgrown blueberry). In my mind, the Land is a real place, just like Middle Earth and Luna City. And it may sound crazy, but if I ever see a beggar in an ochre robe, I'm looking around for Thomas.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”