Questions and Suggestions

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

Sevothtarte
Giantfriend
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

Questions and Suggestions

Post by Sevothtarte »

Somehow I don't get it why some of you sometimes post as Guests because they've logged out or similar... Since registering here and activating the cookie, I never had to log in again.

Also, am I the only one for whom read threads don't stay marked? The header changes color to indicate it, but if I leave the site and come back later, it has the usual color again. Everything else, like if there are new posts in forums or threads, is displayed correctly.

As for the suggestion... why not make Current Affairs and Misc into one single forum and call it Off-Topic or similar (or keep Misc)? There doesn't seem to be much interest in Current Affairs, and I for one wouldn't know for example where a thread about politics should be in.

What might be good is a Fiction forum. Quite a few here seem to write (fan-)fiction, and I guess some do poetry, too, so a forum might be in order. Considering that some might be shy about showing others their writing, this might make it easier for them, too. :)

Just my two cents... :)
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

I donno. Every time I come here, I have to log in, heh. That's probably in Vain's area of knowledge.

As for the Misc./Current Affairs Forum, that sounds like a pretty good idea. What do you all think?

Again, a Fan Fiction Forum sounds good too. Any comments?

Good ideas. :D -jay
Vain
Nom

Re: Questions and Suggestions

Post by Vain »

Sevothtarte wrote:Somehow I don't get it why some of you sometimes post as Guests because they've logged out or similar... Since registering here and activating the cookie, I never had to log in again.
I know there's a check box that you select to keep you logged in. I think the problem is mainly with AOL users - but I stand under correction :) I think it would be great if all those with login problems would let me know so that we can work on it :)
Also, am I the only one for whom read threads don't stay marked? The header changes color to indicate it, but if I leave the site and come back later, it has the usual color again. Everything else, like if there are new posts in forums or threads, is displayed correctly.
You mean it says that the threads you HAVE read HAVEN'T been read? I know that if I pop in and don't read everything, and then leave and pop back in later, it thinks I have read the threads (which I haven't) - I find it annoying myself :(
As for the suggestion... why not make Current Affairs and Misc into one single forum and call it Off-Topic or similar (or keep Misc)? There doesn't seem to be much interest in Current Affairs, and I for one wouldn't know for example where a thread about politics should be in.
I agree with Jay here. Any suggestions for a more creative name for it besides Misc or General?
What might be good is a Fiction forum. Quite a few here seem to write (fan-)fiction, and I guess some do poetry, too, so a forum might be in order. Considering that some might be shy about showing others their writing, this might make it easier for them, too. :)
I think it's an excellent idea :) I think we need to find moderators for it though. Any takers? ;)
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Heh, I click that "stay logged on all the time" button every single time and it still makes me login all the time. It's probably just a problem with my computer, but I don't know what.-jay
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

I checked for some answers at the board support site and made a change to the settings. Let me know if it fixes things :)
Sevothtarte
Giantfriend
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

Re: Questions and Suggestions

Post by Sevothtarte »

Vain wrote:I know there's a check box that you select to keep you logged in. I think the problem is mainly with AOL users - but I stand under correction :)
Don't think so, I use AOL. But then, I only connect through AOL, I don't use the AOL browser, maybe that's the difference.

A reason might be the security settings (in any browser, not just AOL). Maybe some have set their browser to not accept cookies or to delete them after each online session?
You mean it says that the threads you HAVE read HAVEN'T been read?
Yes. The display of the little arrow button for those threads which have new postings since my last visit work correctly, though, so it's not much of a problem...
I agree with Jay here. Any suggestions for a more creative name for it besides Misc or General?
'General Discussion' might be good, but not very colorful... Something like 'Real world affairs'? ;)
I think it's an excellent idea :) I think we need to find moderators for it though. Any takers? ;)
Well, I have experience with the moderator job and I do drop in quite often every day, but I'm a newbie here...
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

The display of the little arrow button for those threads which have new postings since my last visit work correctly, though, so it's not much of a problem...
Now I've gone and learnt something new :)
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Misc. Forum Name!!!

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Name for a misc. forum--Multifarious Market! You can change Market....a while back I looked up Misc. in the thesaurous for a better name and got multifarious, you can change Market...
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

A test.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

There goes the theory that I had. :? I got kicked off one time when I previewed my message, and thought that that might have something to do with it. I have nothing to do with AOL so my problem wasn't that.

My understanding of these things is rather like the New Lords comprehension of Kevin's Wards - I can, somewhat, translate the language, but the sense of it eludes me.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

great analogy :)
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Staying Signed On

Post by duchess of malfi »

I had that same problem for a long time. I would be signed on, make sure of it, then when I would make a post all of a sudden I wouldn't be signed on. But Vain made a little "fixit" for me and I haven't had the problem since. Go down to the messsage started by Vain called "Missing Private Messages" and follow Vain's instructions for using the proxy server. When you are here with the server, save that on your favorites list, then make sure you come in via that favorite from now on, and you should stay signed in, at least I do...
Love as thou wilt.

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Thanks Dutchess. I remember that you had the same problem, and I was going to browse around to find Vain's fix, but it hasn't occured to me since maybe the second day that I joined. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. The only other thing different that I do now is I automatically log on. Now that I know where to find it; I will, when I get the chance, find those directions.
Vain
Nom

Re: Misc. Forum Name!!!

Post by Vain »

Lord Mhoram wrote:Name for a misc. forum--Multifarious Market! You can change Market....a while back I looked up Misc. in the thesaurous for a better name and got multifarious, you can change Market...
Multifarious Meanderings? Nefarious Views? ;)

Damelon - kevinswatch.ihugny.com/cgi-bin/nph-proxy.cgi/000000A/http/kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/

That's the proxy link that Duchess uses. See if it fixes things for you :)
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Take your pick Vain! Id like to see Multifarious though...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

wondering... what does ihugny mean? I hug New York?
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Vain - Thank you for your help.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Yes, Sylvanus it does. Its Vains site.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

aso desu ka?

cool.
-George Steiner
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

aso desu ka?
Now if I knew what that meant ;) Thanks LM

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”