I cried...

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

I cried...

Post by Usivius »

It finally happned. I knew it would one day of reading SRD's works, and I have come close in many instances (being the emotional, un-macho dude I am), but I have now officially cried reading SRD.
Not a full wailing, mind you, but tears none the less.

"The Stuff of Legends"

The build-up, tension and payoff all did me in. Great chapter.

And I came close again in "From the Depths" ... the conversations Linden had with the Mahdoubt and the Forestall ... so visceral in its pain and emotion...

god, I love this....

Linden is my hero.
And SRD makes her and all he writes about come alive.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Rishi Meme
Servant of the Land

Post by Rishi Meme »

Yeah, I cried at several parts in the story... in that way, TLC has the emotional immediacy and rawness of the Gap series.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

WHAT?!!!? That's the first time you cry? Sheesh. I sob like a baby during the whole chapter that deals with the final fate of the Tor. SOB. I have to take an hour break to get my emotions back under control after reading that. Seriously. IMHO that is one of the most moving moments in literature.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
lakespringer
Servant of the Land

Final fate of the tor?

Post by lakespringer »

Cameraman Jenn, you lost me. What is the final fate of the tor?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Re: Final fate of the tor?

Post by dlbpharmd »

lakespringer wrote:Cameraman Jenn, you lost me. What is the final fate of the tor?
It's a "Mordant's Need" reference. CJ gets confused in all of these forums. ;)
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Sorry, I was just shocked because I know Usivius is a big fan of Mordant's Need. As for you Lakespringer, if you didn't get that reference then you haven't read the books so you best be adding "The Mirror of Her Dreams" and "A Man Rides Through" to the very top of your reading list. I mean...

Lakespringer, If you do not read Mordant's Need in seven times seven weeks then I will be forced to possess you like a raver. If you do not add Mordant's Need to your reading list in seven times one days I will haunt you dauntlessly for seven times seven months. Think on that and be dismayed.

:biggrin: ;)

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

:lol:
True, Jenn, the chapter about the Tor is deeply moving, but it was inevitable. You felt it was 'right'.
It's also about reading something at a particular point in your life... the same chapter may affect me differently depending at what point in your life (and the events you have wexperieinced) shape you.

For instance, I no longer feel the deep attachment to TC's suffering and self-induced cocooning now as I did when I was a teenager and young adult. Now I am totally sympathetic and emotionally attached to Linden.

:)

Ah, but you know me too well, I fear...
;)
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

True Usivius. But.... but.... the TOR.... I get all weepy just thinking about it. I just want to yell NO RIBULD NO!!!! And then the sobbing starts and I read that whole chapter through my tears.

lakespringer
Servant of the Land

Post by lakespringer »

Ah, Mordant's Need. Don't fret CJ I've read it, MANY years back. I recall there were things I liked, things I didn't with the series. Possibly time for a re-read.

But I'm afraid I'm much too focused on the Land at present. FR went by in haze of 3-4 days. THAT deserves a re-read.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Well, re-read FR and then come join us in the informal group read thread for MN. You don't have to post or dissect or anything but at least give it a read and maybe be inspired. :biggrin:

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Nothing in Runes moved me too much.

In FR, I was a little choked up over blind Mahrtiir's insistence that Bhapa become the new Manethrall.

And also when the wraiths chased Longwrath away.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I'm usually able to keep my composure while I read, however I just about nearly lost it (or maybe I did, I don't remember) with the ending the the GAP Sequence. I stayed in the basement for a couple hours to make sure I was composed.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:Lakespringer, If you do not read Mordant's Need in seven times seven weeks then I will be forced to possess you like a raver. If you do not add Mordant's Need to your reading list in seven times one days I will haunt you dauntlessly for seven times seven months. Think on that and be dismayed.
You're not even addressing me and I'm groveling!

Fortunately for me, I've read both volumes of Mordant's Need. :|V:
Meets or Exceeds International Humane Kill Standards.

Perpetual Motion or Until the Rubber Band Wears Out Motion
M5Dad
Servant of the Land

Final Book of Series 1 did it for me

Post by M5Dad »

My wife calls me an unfeeling bastard sometimes, but I did loose some tears at the end of the first series. I have some pretty giagantic friends of my owne (I'm 5'5 and a couple are 6'6"). Somehow, I connected with Foamfollower, and when he went, well.... it was almost as bad as losing Spock.

Have'nt shed a tear since.
If you can't find your answers at the beach, you're not asking the right questions.
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

I initially read FR on a weekend get-away, having found it at the airport book store a week early. I had to quit reading after the Mahdoubt's passing, since the scene left me morose and I was concerned worse was coming, and didn't want to be a downer when getting together with old friends later that day.
Probot
Servant of the Land

Post by Probot »

FR stands for Fluid Replenishment in my book! The Mahdoubt's exit was written so that I felt myself fading, and affected me unlike prior deaths in the series. (Never to discount some of them, Foamfollower certainly among the most poignant.) There was a loveliness to her character, (shivers), I can see the patchwork now...
And the manethrall promotion was equally as crushing. I am also a Linden fan, to be sure, and I find the emotional pitch of the 3rd chrons to be different in a sensational way. SRD has got some serious chops, and I am so thankful to humbly reap the benefits.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king." -Tom Waits
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I had my share of teary-eyed moments in FR, all of them involving Linden (naturally).

Fluid Refreshment? Nice, Probot. :)
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

wayfriend wrote:And also when the wraiths chased Longwrath away.
I just knew that the Wraiths could kick butt if required. They aren't just Andelain arm candy!!!
... nobody I know.
hpty603
Woodhelvennin

Post by hpty603 »

The final scene with all of the dead and the aftermath of TC shook me up pretty bad. I finished it last night around 12 and I couldn't go to sleep until about 1:30 because I was thinking of all of the implications

Linden should have quailed. His certainty was as bitter as the touch of a Raver: it should have defeated her. But it did not. How often had she heard Lord Foul or his servants prophesy destruction, attempting to impose despair? And how often had Thomas Covenant shown her that it was possible to stand upright under the weight of utter hopelessness?
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

hpty603 wrote:The final scene with all of the dead and the aftermath of TC shook me up pretty bad. I finished it last night around 12 and I couldn't go to sleep until about 1:30 because I was thinking of all of the implications
Me too. I bought FR when it came out and I was in a daze after reading it. The end of FR left me with the giddy feeling that things could go in any direction now. I got my seat buckled for the ride. Immense G-forces ahead.
AjK wrote:
wayfriend wrote:And also when the wraiths chased Longwrath away.
I just knew that the Wraiths could kick butt if required. They aren't just Andelain arm candy!!!
Yes...but how do we reconcile this version of the Wraiths with the version we saw in LFB, who were powerless to prevent ur-viles from devouring them?

It could be a simple answer, but do please enlighten me.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”