Remember Your First Read? What surprised you the most?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The first time I read it, I didn't realize the full extent of what happened. My mind didn't really process it, because it wasn't expecting it. When my mind finally did process it, yeah, that kind of shocked me.

I always thought what was done to Pietten was worse, though. Of all the events that transpired, that was the most disturbing for me.

Finding out who Elena's father was ranks up there, too. One of those things that should've been obvious, but... Then her whole lust for TC. Kinda freaky.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Blue_Spawn
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Blue_Spawn »

The rape of course. Mainly because I didn't at all expect or have previously encountered a main character that could comitt such a crime in a such a random moment. To me the whole scene was a juxtaposition. Too unreal.

Another surprise is the immense toleration that some characters showed toward Covenant after his crimes. Some people like Mhoham, Lena, and her daughter seemed to be a little....TOO passife for somebody like Thomas.

Post by Guest »

Syl wrote:Finding out who Elena's father was ranks up there, too. One of those things that should've been obvious, but... Then her whole lust for TC. Kinda freaky.
Darth Vadar to Luke: I am your father.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

I have to agree with Kastenessen. When Elena summoned Kevin to battle Foul it was simply spectacular. To take a character that was just a part of the history and mythology of the land and then involve him in the story in that way was pure genius.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

[quote="SHATTERSTAR"]My first and most shocking suprise came very early in the first book.
Spoiler
Lena's rape

Yeah, that pretty much blew my mind too. It wasn't that I found it too gross or anything; it just struck me right there that the chronicles were way different than any other fantasy story I read.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I read The Illearth War first (someone gave me the book). The whole mission to Seareach stunned me -- here were the good guys -- and they failed. 8O And the bad guys committed genocide and cannabalism. 8O WHOA. 8O
Love as thou wilt.

Blue_Spawn
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Blue_Spawn »

I thought Flashharrower's defeat was stunning. So many times while reading the book was I absolutely sure that he would win.
Spoiler
It still amazes me how half a million demon beasts could have been instantaniously slaughtered by a forest.
It was so freakishly awsome.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Blue Spawn wrote:It was so freakishly awsome.
Wasn't it, though? The way he described the satisfied vengeance of that forest...
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Blue_Spawn
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Blue_Spawn »

Actually, I didn't much appreciate the vengance of Frostal. In fact, I almost felt sorry for the Raver (almost). But the harships and survival of Troy's army was quite stunning.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Frostal. I like it.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner

Post by Guest »

Bah! Stupid English teachers....

It's like having some savant-idiot walking around behind you pointing out your faults. Oops, you spelled forestal wrong. Oops, you didn't say that right.

You just know that these jerk offs are the kinds of people who will or do work in a business that requires ties but doesn't necessarily require good salaries. Meanwhile their boss will be looking over their shoulder, oops you didn't make that report out right, oops you were late by 2 minutes.

GROW UP! And stop pestering people for minor errors you arrogant %$&*!
Blue_Spawn
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Blue_Spawn »

Heheh, its okay. I knew that I mispelled the name as I wrote it, though I didn't really care. As long as you get what I'm talking about I have no reason to go back and correct it. That's the way I think about it.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Ahh, witness the righteous fury of the anonymous guest. That's a lot of inferences. Not that I feel any need to justify my comment, but I did think it was cool. Would you care to know why, ye master of assumptions? What most of those who have been here for a while and are a bit observant know is that my last name is Frost (hence the avatar), and I have a bit of fondness for the forestall. Happy?
Last edited by [Syl] on Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

For fun, though, allow me to point out your mistakes.
Anonymous wrote:Bah! Stupid English teachers....<<fragment>>

It's like having some savant-idiot << idiot savant >> walking around behind you pointing out your faults. Oops, you spelled forestal wrong. Oops, you didn't say that right.

You just know that these jerk offs are the kinds of people who will or do work <<awkward>> in a business that requires ties but doesn't necessarily require good salaries. Meanwhile <<comma>> their boss will be looking over their shoulder, <<run-on>> oops you didn't make that report out right, <<run-on again>> oops you were late by 2 minutes.

GROW UP! And stop pestering people for minor errors you arrogant %$&*!
Man, I get a kick out of that.
Blue_Spawn
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Blue_Spawn »

Hehe, common Syl, give him a brake. Its not that hard to understand him. I for one, am also annoyed when people nit-pick my spelling errors and such (not that I'm indicating you did).

Like I said, I write and make sure that people understand me.

As long as
ppl g3t wut i'm sayin i doncare how many errors i make :D
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I agree. I make plenty of mistakes. Hell, most of the time I don't even use complete sentences. Just giving the guest a hard time.
-George Steiner
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

guest should apologize.

imo
Blue_Spawn
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Blue_Spawn »

Misunderstandings are normal.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

i was surprised i actually liked it i didnt expect to
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

Thomas surprised me. when we wasn't whining about his impotence, he was raping. he had all of this power and refused to use it. he was among all of this wonder and failed to believe. he didn't act or even react. he allowed things to happen all around him.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”