Who are your favorite "bit part" chars and why?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

1- Nom
2- Jheherin
3- Amok
4- Mahdoubt (I know wrong forum, so what, she's awesome)
5- Hamako
6- The Door

(I wouldn't say Vain or Quaan played bit parts as they affect the outcome in their respective trilogies, and are there throughout- I would call them secondary characters...who ain't got no bubble-gum!)
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
The Eighth Ward
Servant of the Land

Post by The Eighth Ward »

The Lurker of the Sarangrave is one of my favorites. The whole Sarangrave Flat concept is one of my favorites in all the literature I have read.

Ditto to the Unfettered. Each one we meet has a compelling uniqueness focused to a specific need.
I used to be The Seventh Ward - Those who knew me had no need of my name.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

My god, you guys have good memories. Let me try to flex mine . . .

. . . that ranyhyn in The Power that Preserves with the ribs showing, which illustrated the unintentional consequences of Covenant's bargain at the end of Lord Foul's Bane.

Wasn't there also an Unfettered in TPTP who could read rocks (before Anele), who then got possessed by a Raver? He was cool, too.

I was going to say Lord Foul, but Matrix beat me to that joke.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Hamako would be my favourite bit-part character..

Though 8th Ward reminded me of the Lurker, which is also awesome, but then I remembered the Jeherrin and Sub-Jeherrin (or whatever) who I thought were sensational bit parts.

Ultimately though, Hamako's story and struggles is one which moves me the most, and has more relevance and pertinence to the overall story.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

The jeherrin (sp?) in TPTP, to me are classic examples of unnecesary characters that nonetheless really add to the over-all feel of the series.

And Amok.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Sometimes I got images of the Disney 'Pinnochio' when reading the chapters about Amok. In that way the character was lessened for me. Anyone else get that?
Forgive my death.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

ninjaboy wrote:Sometimes I got images of the Disney 'Pinnochio' when reading the chapters about Amok. In that way the character was lessened for me. Anyone else get that?
Yeah, somewhat...he seemed too light-hearted at first, which worked really well when he had to go...but yeah, Pinoch-like...
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
transient
Stonedownor

Post by transient »

I always held an image of Amok as more like Hermes, or at least the manner in which Kingsley depicted him oh so may years ago. For any Aussies, I reckon the nearest I liken him to is Graham Kennedy in his early IMT days.
wandering through the landscape,,never the same view or is it rooted to the spot I am and thus, deceived by a passing parade?
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Who are your favorite "bit part" chars and why?

Post by SleeplessOne »

Lord Hyrim !!
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Nah.. For me Amok is like a young boy / youth who looks more like he's made of wood than a proper.. person. Even Graham Kennedy!
Forgive my death.
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Hi Lina H,

Ahanna every time. I've forever wondered about 'Lord Mhoram's Victory'.

From now on, I'll see it as a watercolor.

Ta -
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Krazy Kat wrote:Hi Lina H,

Ahanna every time. I've forever wondered about 'Lord Mhoram's Victory'.

From now on, I'll see it as a watercolor.

Ta -
Krazy Kat, that's cool. I never would've thought to pick her! ...The prophecy thing was intriguing... neat.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
soft one
Ramen

Post by soft one »

From TOT: ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol / The Guardian. We hear about him, but nothing FROM him.
Spoiler
And yes, I know he's not a bit player later on.
Covenant turned in time to see a short figure detach itself from the burning mud, step queasily onto the hard ground.

The figure was scarcely taller than the skest, and shaped like them, a misborn child without eyes or any other features. But it was made of mud. Flames flickered over it as it climbed from the fire, then died away, leaving a dull brown creature like a sculpture poorly wrought in clay. Reddish pockets embedded in its form glowed dully.
Coldbeer Pintswallower
Servant of the Land

Post by Coldbeer Pintswallower »

:beer:

I think the best incidental character(s) were Hamako's Waynhim who shared their power with TC so that he could do his Usain Bolt impersonation and sprint to Revelstone. Brilliant bit of writing for those couple of pages.
For those wishing to recreate this experience, simply drink 8 bottles of strong Polish lager.....
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Hi Lina

I seem to have a bad habit of not following up on conversations.

Anyway, when I read your initial post about the Unfettered Healer in Morrinmoss with the jug of water and some sort of tool it occured to me that a painter in the Land might possible use Earthpower and a paint medium that's differant from the 'real world'. We're never told about this. I suppose that's how an author allows us to use our imagination to fill in the blanks.

Ahanna is only mentioned twice that I recall: High Lord Elena of course; and when High Lord Mhoram asked her about Elena's sculpture of Thomas Covenant. Like I said, she has always fascinated me and I wish there were more about her.

What I liked about this train of thought was a childhood memory of those picture books that were full of blank pages, and when brushed with water a coloured picture would magically appear. So perhaps water from Glimmermere was used to mix the (?)paint(?) with, and Lomillialor and sable hair was the brush! But who knows, I'm just thinking out loud!
Percipience
Servant of the Land

Post by Percipience »

I really liked that Unfettered rock student. I think we encounter him somewhere in the 2nd chronicles, but I can't remember where. I believe he took Covenant and company in from a storm and into a cave. His whole lifework really blew me away.
Kaos Arcanna
Ramen

Post by Kaos Arcanna »

For me, I like the unnamed Woodhelvinin who took it upon herself to look after Covenant during Lord Foul's Bane. She died defending him during the battle of Soaring Woodhelvin.
Wheelwash Whitecap
Stonedownor

Post by Wheelwash Whitecap »

I think Nom is the answer.
Life is just a candle
And a dream must give it flame.
Fountain Of Lamneth
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

#3 Nom - Would have been higher but his role was not so much as an individual so much as a representative Sandgorgon.

#2 Amok - The mystery surrounding him, the subsequent revelation of his identity and his final speech were great.

#1 Hamako - His dedication, his cause and his sacrifice were all top shelf. The image of him melting while shaking what remained of his arms to the sky gives me chills every time I read about it.
... nobody I know.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”