Cool things you've seen in the sky

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

Saw a double rainbow a day or three ago. I was taking shelter from the rain along with a couple dozen others in a gazebo in the park.

I needed to split my attention betwixt the double-rainbow and the oohing and ahing of my fellows.

That was cool.
Meets or Exceeds International Humane Kill Standards.

Perpetual Motion or Until the Rubber Band Wears Out Motion
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Just seen an amazing shooting star. That's me happy for a week, at least!
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Stonemaybe wrote:Just seen an amazing shooting star. That's me happy for a week, at least!
I've never seen a shooting star. Is that strange?
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

CovenantJr wrote:
Stonemaybe wrote:Just seen an amazing shooting star. That's me happy for a week, at least!
Depends how often you look at the night sky I suppose! I do tend to spend clear evenings outdoors enraptured, and have been known to fall flat on my face after tripping on something. Also depends on light pollution where you are - I was so delighted last night because this was the first time I've seen one in town. Previously I've been in the countryside/on the coast.

If you're going to start looking for one, they seem to be more common in September iirc. Also, they are there for milliseconds (if you have time to look away and look back and still see it, that'll be space hardware, and making a wish on that may be wrong depending on whether you're a Billy Bragg fan or not)
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Stonemaybe wrote:
If you're going to start looking for one, they seem to be more common in September iirc. Also, they are there for milliseconds (if you have time to look away and look back and still see it, that'll be space hardware, and making a wish on that may be wrong depending on whether you're a Billy Bragg fan or not)
Or Kirsty MacColl fan, as her version was the first I heard. Later I heard Billy's version, and realized that Kirsty sang with him on an album as well.

Actually, thinking about it today, I have seen something cool and disturbing in the sky, but I'm still not entirely sure I saw it. I lived in Tucson at the time, and my first wife and I were returning from just visiting my friends in Colorado. My wife was asleep next to me, and I believe we were in Arizona, but just over the border. I saw the light of a plane up in the sky, and I was getting a little sleepy, but suddenly the light split into three and took off in three different directions very very quickly and disappeared. I freaked out and woke up the wife. I wasn't sleep driving at the time, but my eyes were pretty heavy, and that definitely woke me the hell up. But I do wonder if I had drifted off for a few seconds and just imagined I saw it. It seemed especially real though, and was exactly the traditional deserty no man's land at night setting that you hear about people seeing strange things in the sky.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
magickmaker17
The Gap Into Spam

Post by magickmaker17 »

Stonemaybe wrote:
CovenantJr wrote:
If you're going to start looking for one, they seem to be more common in September iirc.
I don't know, I saw three on the same night this past May. But it was Beltain, so that may have had something to do with it...
I live in my own little world...but its okay, they know me here!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”