Board Games

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

wish i had that as a kid
Last edited by sgt.null on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I will be likely purchasing Paths of Glory by the end of the month . . . to feed my WWI passion and love of board games. I just wish I had a group serious enough for it. At least Montresor and I will play it.

Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

sgt.null wrote:Image

strato-matic!!!!!!!!!!!
Ah.. Strato-matic. For a couple of years, I helped run a strat-o-matic tournament at Gen Con.
magickmaker17
The Gap Into Spam

Post by magickmaker17 »

Settlers of Catan is one of my favorite board games.
I live in my own little world...but its okay, they know me here!
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Yes, Settlers of Catan is quite an engaging game. It is a favorite of mine at our group's monthly game nights.

Magickmaker (and other Settlers players), since we are not likely to face each other in this game, what are your preferred strategies? Obviously, one wants to establish settlements adjacent to numbers that will be rolled more often, as well as where multiple resources can be earned, but do you prefer the 2:1 resource-specific ports or the 3:1 open ports? I tend to aim for the open ports. Do you try to gather development cards or concentrate your resources on building? How do you approach trading? Other thoughts on the game?
magickmaker17
The Gap Into Spam

Post by magickmaker17 »

Which port I go for is often dependent on the lay of the land. I'm not gonna sit on the wood port if I'm not going to be bringing in any wood. I'd like to say that I go more for the 2:1 ports(more bang for your buck), but often I find it's not worth it, or I have an abundance of something else. Overall, I think the 3:1 ports are a better deal, and I'll often go for those.
I totally concentrate on building. I am quite likely to be the one to get the 2 points for the longest road. I might get a couple development cards, if I'm waiting for wood or brick, but overall I ignore them.
Trading is usually 1:1. If you have something I need and you're reluctant to give it to me, we can talk 2:1. If you have a 2:1 port(or possibly even a 3:1 port if I don't have one) and I'm interested in using it, you get something for letting me use the port. But only if you're smart enough to not let me use the port for free. ;)

I once played with the Seafarers expansion pack, and that was a lot of fun. Also interesting. It was somewhat different. The strategy changed a little bit. It might be fun to try some of the other expansions, to see what those are like.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I bet *no*body had this game but me:

It came with a ridiculous little plastic guitar. I recall that part of the directions involved strumming the guitar and singing the show's theme song while someone else moved around the board. It was a really lame game.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

ooo...

I've never seen that one, ali. It sounds like it played up the campiness of the series perfectly.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I'm a board game geek too! I love Carcasonne and all the lovely little expansions, and Sequence is another favorite of mine. I like Scrabble, but am not as good at it as I ought to be. I recently played Ticket to Ride (not to be confused with Tikka to Ride!) and enjoyed it a lot. One of my favorite games from childhood was Clue, and I am surprized that no one has mentioned it yet. Another childhood favorite was Battleship. My brother and I played endless hours trying to destroy one another.

Apples to Apples is also a fun little game, as is Blockus. When my fiance and I did our wedding registry we registered for several board games that we are missing from our vast collection. And my fiance plans to have an Axis and Allies night for his bachelor party. :biggrin:

magickmaker17
The Gap Into Spam

Post by magickmaker17 »

Apples to Apples FTW! That's a favorite among my friends!

A couple of my friends are getting ready to take the GRE and they decided to take their flash cards and play Apples to Apples with them. I haven't played it with them yet, but I'm pretty excited about it. What a great way to study! :lol:
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Another frequent player of Apples to Apples here; sometimes in a competitive spirit, more often just for the wacky juxtapositions and the joy of trying to use my knowledge of other player's thought processes to "play to the judge" -- whether to get my card chosen or to draw the biggest guffaw.

Speaking of card (rather than strictly board) games, any players of Fluxx out there?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I wanted to play Man O'War but, as with so many games (or game types), I never knew anyone else who was interested.
Last edited by CovenantJr on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Savor Dam wrote: Speaking of card (rather than strictly board) games, any players of Fluxx out there?
Though it is not the base game, I am a player of Zombie Fluxx. It's fun, haveing the rules and objectives of the game change on you all the time. I can only play it with a few of my friends though, since others over-analyze the rules of EVERYTHING :roll: I just know Fluxx would drive them insane, since they would be forced to play with a short term strategy in mind.

I feel your pain, Cov. Jr., no one, and I mean no one ever wants to play Beowulf, Axis & Allies, or Risk with me. They're just collecting dust waiting for better days.... I just have to take comfort that at least my friends will play Carcassone (and a few will and have played Arkham Horror with me after I bought it :biggrin: ).

Funny thing about Settlers of Catan, it's allegedly everyone's favorite game around here, but I've only played it twice in the past couple of years. W...T...F...

WW, I love Ticket to Ride! (Europe Map version, of course!) I'm trying to introduce it to some friends but they'd much rather just play Apples to Apples (fun game, but a nemesis in my quest to expand the board game horizons of my friends). Anywhos, congrats on your engagment!

I think I just about covered everything there, more as the story unfolds :P
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
magickmaker17
The Gap Into Spam

Post by magickmaker17 »

Savor Dam wrote:Speaking of card (rather than strictly board) games, any players of Fluxx out there?
Very much so, yes! I love fluxx! The fact that the rules constantly change is one of my favorite things about it!

I've only ever played the original version, but I've been very interested in some of the alternate versions, including the zombie one.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

So anyhow, I may be purchasing another boardgame soon (then again, I may not). And here are my options (at least the ones I'm interested in)

First, there's Pandemic, a cooperative game where players try to stop a world wide pandemic. I like the premise, and as a cooperative game, I think it will appeal more to my friends.

Second, there's Stone Age. This seems to be a game of balancing resources for your tribe to make the most points. Once again, the concept intrigues me, and it seems as if it would be relatively easy for people to pick up on the rules.

Third, Agricola, which seems to be, at least in theme, similar to Stone Age except it involves farmers instead of cavemen (boring :P ). I'm under the impression that it is a heavier game rule wise, but it also is ranked #1 at boardgamegeek.com.

Those are pretty much my choices, I was wondering if anyone here has played any of these games and has an opinion on them.
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I want to play Pandemic, and I plan to avoid Agricola.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

I've played Agricola a number of times with friends. It's one of those, 'an hour to learn, a lifetime to master' kind of games. There isn't much luck involved, and the game has enough depth that if one strategy isn't working, a player can change tacks mid-game and still have a shot at winning. It's also relatively short - from memory the game only goes for 20 turns.

On the other hand, the game is not particularly intuitive, so if you are not a master strategist capable of planning several moves ahead, be prepared to lose. Often. (Yeah, I'm yet to win a game of Agricola, and yeah, I'm a little bitter about it. lol.)

Overall, I'd rate it somewhere ahead of Tigris and Euphrates, but below Carcasonne. (Just my opinion, mind).

I haven't played the other two games you're considering, Orlion, but I hope this helps somewhat.
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Rest assured, Earthfriend, that helped me out quite a bit. Argicola out of all the three was the one I knew least about, and your review was concise and informative.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley

Return to “General Discussion Forum”