Liand

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

After the climatiic events of the rest of the Chronicles, (assuming Liand has some climatic events of his own) I expect Liand and Pahni to be the parents of a new generation of Land-loving folks.. Providing that the Land itself survives, and that Pahni and Liand also survive. Neither of which I am convinced of happening.

I do believe he'll have to decide between his own future and Linden, and he is quite familiar for Linden's capacity of Evil.. Perhaps TC will talk some sense into him.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

Vain wrote:Yes. Maybe he is just a blundering idiot but I still think that Lord Foul controls him when he needs to and will make him mess things up. I'm not going to miss him - he grates me :)
I'm not going to miss Liand either. He's the most one dimensional character I've ever encountered in a SRD book.

Seems lifted straight out of some Anne McCaffrey dreck. Pretty sad.

The sooner Liand goes away the better. Preferably violently.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

In the first book, Liand was relegated as a sidekick to Linden and Stave. Since he has the orcrest, his status has jumped to a supporting character.
He may develop into a Sunder like character by the end of the fourth book.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I like Liand! Thought he was a puppy in the first book, but learned to love him in the second!
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

Ur Dead wrote:He [Liand] may develop into a Sunder like character by the end of the fourth book.
Maybe Linden will do something to get his Ramen girlfriend killed and he'll skip right over Sunder-istic and go straight to Trell-ishness.
Wheelwash Whitecap
Stonedownor

Possible Liand Future

Post by Wheelwash Whitecap »

I think Liand is the future of the land like Sunder. He will guide the lands inhabitants in pursuit of earthpower and lore.

I did not get anywhere that he will be evil. I saw his transformation from a naive stonedowner to user of the orecrest kindalike the way Berek started with earthpower. Maybe he has a starring role in restoring health sense, since he has already done that several times, as well as the use of Earthpower to all the inhabitants of the land.
Life is just a candle
And a dream must give it flame.
Fountain Of Lamneth
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

My problem with Liand is explained in a few words.

When he found the orcrest in Revelstone it was said it was new to him. Reading this I thought "wait a minute, didn't he held a piece of orcrest back in Mithil Stonedown and when Linden touched it and thus triggered white magic it showed him she was true?" But then I remembered that this was Sunder from TC2 .

To cut it short, Liand is like a weak copy of Sunder, a Sunder sans couilles (pardon me French). He is not original enough and lacks the deep sorrow and self doubt that made Sunder a character. He is the Sam Gamgee of the Land. A loyal but naive sidekick needed to make the hero look brighter than he or she actually is.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

JD wrote:Also Linded should have been able to detect if he were controlled by Lord Foul once the Staff of Law was back in her possession.
Ummm. Did not Kevin HAVE the Staff of Law at all times and yet was unable to discern Foul himself, until it was too late?
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

SGuilfoyle1966 wrote:
JD wrote:Also Linded should have been able to detect if he were controlled by Lord Foul once the Staff of Law was back in her possession.
Ummm. Did not Kevin HAVE the Staff of Law at all times and yet was unable to discern Foul himself, until it was too late?
Well yes, but that was Foul, with his mastery of Subterfuge. Liand is not Foul, if he was a servant of Foul, he wouldn't be able to use Hurtloam, Eat Tressure Berries, HOLD the staff of law on more than one occation, and use the Orcrest.

When TC speaks through Anele at the Upland Plateau, he tells Liand, that he wishes he could be spare him, and tells him (in not so many words) to get the Orcrest.

Liand, is certainly the Land as far as I'm concerned. No doubt, Foul or a Raver may try to possess him, but as for right now, I doubt it. There were too many beings that are too wise to be fooled.
At the very least, the Mahdoubt would have known if he was a bad guy. She was the only one who knew the truth about Roger and the croyel, (other than Esmer)
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

If the people of the Land are not what they were under Kevin's Dirt, what is to say the prohibitions against eating aliantha, etc, are in full force?
But that is digression. My point was about Linden.
Why should she automatically be able to detect a Foul-servant or Foul himself once she gets hold of the staff, when Kevin, the master of Lore, couldn't detect Foul.
The point is about HER abilities.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Good point about Linden. She couldn't discern Roger, could she? How could we possibly assume she could discern Foul!

I bet you this becomes a factor in the story. I don't think Liand is Foul, not by a long shot. (In fact, Foul has spoken through Anele to Linden while Liand was present, has he not?) But I do think someone else will be Foul. Someone who did not enter the story until the last chapter of FR. Nudge nudge.

The whole experience with Roger in the first half of FR could be a mere prelude to other experiences, a prelude which establishes in all out minds the possibility of these experiences occurring.
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

wayfriend wrote:But I do think someone else will be Foul. Someone who did not enter the story until the last chapter of FR. Nudge nudge.
That would make sense, considering some of SRD's responses in the GI. The implications of Foul being that particular person would be quite interesting. But I bet it will not be that simple. I think Foul will be that person in a much more metaphysical sense, rather than simply possession (or whatever you want to call it).
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Auleliel wrote:
wayfriend wrote:But I do think someone else will be Foul. Someone who did not enter the story until the last chapter of FR. Nudge nudge.
That would make sense, considering some of SRD's responses in the GI. The implications of Foul being that particular person would be quite interesting. But I bet it will not be that simple. I think Foul will be that person in a much more metaphysical sense, rather than simply possession (or whatever you want to call it).
It don't think it will be that simple, either.

But let's talk about Liand. Remember Liand? This is a topic about Liand.
sherifffruitfly2
Servant of the Land

Post by sherifffruitfly2 »

I agree, but think his downfall will be somewhat slower than you appear to think. At the moment, I think he's just a bit too keen for power. At some point later on, I think it'll be his Achilles' Heel.

I don't necessarily think his downfall will be something so sexy as going to work for LF or anything. It might just be as prosaic as becoming so disgusted with himself that he becomes another Anele (or another not-a-Bloodguard-anymore, for an earlier metaphor).

Return to “Fatal Revenant”