Haruchai questions

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Haruchai questions

Post by peter »

Odd sort of question really, but I can't help wondering how different people visualise 'The Haruchai' in thier minds eye as they are reading. I know Donaldson describes them as sort of flat faced, impassive,expressionless and dark skinned, but this really tells us very little. Are they essentially human in appearence (perhaps oriental in thier inscrutability), or, as I see them, sort of half way between human and (dare I say it) ape - somewhere between the gorrilas of planet of the apes and humans in appearence.
The Haruchai are way in front my favorite charachters of the books and remain as always (even in, I think, the poorer third series) true to themselves - somehat similar to Rorsarch in The Watchmen graphic novel - living life without compromise if not without regret.
Also - does anyone know for definate (as in how Donaldson would say it) how 'Haruchai' is supposed to be pronounced - I've always wondered? {Also Ranyhyn - you know, the great horses in case I've spelt it wrong.}
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Put me down for thinking of them as brown skinned African.

flat nose, brown skin, short cropped curly hair....
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Put me down for thinking of them as brown skinned African.

flat nose, brown skin, short cropped curly hair....
Agreed.

(I say Ha-roo-chai and Ran-ee-hine)
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Morinmoss
Stonedownor

Post by Morinmoss »

I get a mental image of a people resembling native Americans.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

For definitive pronunciations, I recommend the works of Scott Brick, who has created the audiobook versions of three volumes of the 1st Chronicles and of Fatal Revenant (with more planned for the future).

Brick has interviewed SRD and compliled an audio dictionary he uses as a reference to assure consistent pronunciation in his audiobook products.

A link to his website is at the bottom of the main KW Forums page.

Here's a link to one of Brick's blog entries where he discusses his work on Donaldson vocabulary, including links to audio of his reading of that blog -- a great introduction to many pronunciations!
Scott Brick on Reading Donaldson
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

The closest comparison I've always had was to Vulcans. Dispassionate, atonal speech, etc.....
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

I have a copy of Gilden-fire that includes illustrations, so my 'minds-eye' of the Haruchai has always been coloured by that. Solid, stocky folk that look like they could quite calmly walk through a brick wall. Think WWF without the hyperbole.
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
krejaton
Servant of the Land

Post by krejaton »

I have always visualized them more towards the Asian personification...stoic, eschewing weapons for martial arts...
When I am reading or telling stories to my daughters, I am known as Eldad Legendweaver.
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

This might be shallow, but for some reason the Bloodguard, et. al. have often struck me as... really hot guys. Like really effing hot. I'm not even kidding.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Mighara Sovmadhi wrote:This might be shallow, but for some reason the Bloodguard, et. al. have often struck me as... really hot guys. Like really effing hot. I'm not even kidding.
After seeing Blackhawk's First of the Search, I'd say many inhabitants of the land are pretty damn hot!
Kaydene
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kaydene »

I always pictured them as having strong elven features. Specifically, from the Wood Elves card in Magic: the Gathering.

Heh. My nerdiness is showing. :)

"This is the room where Jezebel frescoed her eyelids with history's tragic glitter." ~Tom Robbins

tinhamodic
Servant of the Land

Post by tinhamodic »

I originally pictured them as stocky polynesians/Hawaiians.
Durris
Giantfriend

Post by Durris »

On the analogy of habitats I usually imagine Haruchai as dark/reddish high-altitude Asians--looking rather like Tibetans or other Himalayan peoples, though with curlier hair.

However, the most Haruchai-looking young man I ever saw in person was from Malaysia: compact build for height, teak-toned skin, hair in black ringlets so dark their highlights were bluish.
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy is increased.
--Spider Robinson
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

Given Durris's description
However, the most Haruchai-looking young man I ever saw in person was from Malaysia: compact build for height, teak-toned skin, hair in black ringlets so dark their highlights were bluish.
My mind pictures the Haruchi likethis person
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

theland.antgear.com/artwork.html

There are a few pictures here of haruchi as bloodgaurd. They are nice pictures, but all make the haruchi seem to tall and lean, well muscled but lean.
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
krillarbran
Stonedownor

Post by krillarbran »

I always saw them like African tribes people with the voice and attitude of a Vulcan.... :-D
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

That's funny, because in the audiobooks, Scott Brick sounds like he reads their characters as if they're Vulcans.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Morinmoss wrote:I get a mental image of a people resembling native Americans.
Thats what I got too.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Also - does anyone know for definate (as in how Donaldson would say it) how 'Haruchai' is supposed to be pronounced - I've always wondered?
iirc from an SRD talk about 3 years ago, ha-roo-chee with a slight emphasis on the oo.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
hpty603
Woodhelvennin

Post by hpty603 »

Hm, I've always pronounced it har(soft h, more like 'ar')-EW-chai (rhymes with rye)

Linden should have quailed. His certainty was as bitter as the touch of a Raver: it should have defeated her. But it did not. How often had she heard Lord Foul or his servants prophesy destruction, attempting to impose despair? And how often had Thomas Covenant shown her that it was possible to stand upright under the weight of utter hopelessness?

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”