Nekrimah...

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

soft one
Ramen

Nekrimah...

Post by soft one »

What was the designed use for 'Nekrimah'? If TC hadn't used it to get away from the Stonedown, and it had not been used by all the various ur-viles and Waynhim, what was 'Nekrimah' supposed to do?

"Nekrimah, Vain! Change into the Staff of Law, and take Findail with you!"?
Covenant turned in time to see a short figure detach itself from the burning mud, step queasily onto the hard ground.

The figure was scarcely taller than the skest, and shaped like them, a misborn child without eyes or any other features. But it was made of mud. Flames flickered over it as it climbed from the fire, then died away, leaving a dull brown creature like a sculpture poorly wrought in clay. Reddish pockets embedded in its form glowed dully.
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

I always thought it was a deal-sweetener for Covenant, so he would accept it as a gift from the dead Foamfollower. Without the one-time command, would Covenant have accepted Vain as the creepy, mute, inscrutable, non-interactive sidekick-with-a-hidden-purpose from Foamy? Maybe not... :wink:

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

I thought the Ur-viles had included it as a safety mechanism, an option of last resort to control the uncontrollable.
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
soft one
Ramen

Post by soft one »

Earthfriend wrote:I thought the Ur-viles had included it as a safety mechanism, an option of last resort to control the uncontrollable.
But he was just construct. Why would he need to be controlled?
Covenant turned in time to see a short figure detach itself from the burning mud, step queasily onto the hard ground.

The figure was scarcely taller than the skest, and shaped like them, a misborn child without eyes or any other features. But it was made of mud. Flames flickered over it as it climbed from the fire, then died away, leaving a dull brown creature like a sculpture poorly wrought in clay. Reddish pockets embedded in its form glowed dully.
tinhamodic
Servant of the Land

Post by tinhamodic »

Considering nothing was known about Vain or it's purpose (only hinted at in 2nd chronicles book 2) and the motives of the Ur-Viles are still mysterious who knows what will happen if you ordered it do depending on the order? But I bet it wouldn't do anything that will violate it's existence or purpose!
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

soft one wrote: But he was just construct. Why would he need to be controlled?
Exactly: he is a construct. He has no morals, no conscious, - perhaps even no consciousness - and only one 'desire' - to fulfill his purpose, potentially regardless of the cost. If ever there was a creation that needed a safety catch, Vain is it.
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I think the designed use of 'Nekrimah' was exactly as Covenant used it - and possibly the Ur-viles were aware of exactly when and where it would be used; who can say to what heights (or depths) of knowledge their roynish lore had taken them!
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”