How did you find Kevin's Watch?

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

aliantha wrote:Lordy, SD, having nothing to add never stops *me* from commenting! :lol:
Hear hear.

(See? ;) )

--A
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Sure, I have a comment: how could Francis 7 be mistaken for Carl Sagan???

Ah, I see the connection: Sagan has contemplated billions and billions of stars, while Francis 7 has executed billions and billions of Runners (all right, maybe a slight exaggeration).
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I can't speak for Lucimay, but I was not familiar with Logan's Run (haven't seen it in many years and recall little of the characters, etc.) and spaced on the fact that Lore had changed avatars recently.

Now I know why his current avatar looks like Sagan to me...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Sorry, SD, my bad for not making clear I was kidding around.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Came in via a link on the Stephen R donaldson page on Wikipedia. Very happy to be here. Still have a lot of work to do to suss out how it all works but am having a lot of fun at the moment just exploring and seeing whats going. I never realised there were people just as Covenant obsessed as me in the world and it is nice to know I am not the only one!
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Found the site via a link from the SRD entry on Wikipedia and really happy that I did! Still a real 'newbie' and having lots of fun just exploring the site and seeing whats here to do. I am so pleased that there are people just as crazy about the Land as I am! After half a life searching I never expected to find 1000 plus soulmates in one day!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

matrixman wrote:Sure, I have a comment: how could Francis 7 be mistaken for Carl Sagan???

Ah, I see the connection: Sagan has contemplated billions and billions of stars, while Francis 7 has executed billions and billions of Runners (all right, maybe a slight exaggeration).
:lol:

Well, you could also reason that both died before their time.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Loremaster wrote:
matrixman wrote:Sure, I have a comment: how could Francis 7 be mistaken for Carl Sagan???

:lol:

Well, you could also reason that both died before their time.
True. Francis was a wonderfully tragic character, if I can put it like that.

And Sagan...I thought of him during the spectacularly successful mission of the twin Mars rovers. How delighted he would have been...
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Francis 7 is really the best character in Logan's Run. There's something about his death; you realise that he was only doing what he was trained to do, and it befell Logan 5 to solve the situation without violence. However, his death has such pathos.

God, I love that movie.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Loremaster wrote:Francis 7 is really the best character in Logan's Run. There's something about his death; you realise that he was only doing what he was trained to do, and it befell Logan 5 to solve the situation without violence. However, his death has such pathos.

God, I love that movie.
hear hear.

My 16-year old self developed such a crush on both Michael York and Richard Jordon. And the idea of Carousel floored me. Too bad the t.v. series that followed practically ruined that setting for me.

Enjoyed the book though. The change in the age one is exterminated made even more sense for the lifestyle these youths lived. And the different ending surprised me. I have yet to read the two novels that came after.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I think that Logan's Run is the single greatest influence on my life, besides the works of H.G.Wells. Yet, I have yet to read the novel!

I have not seen the television series, nor do I want to.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Loremaster wrote:I think that Logan's Run is the single greatest influence on my life, besides the works of H.G.Wells. Yet, I have yet to read the novel!
Did you ever see Logan's Run in the theater, Lore?
Oh gosh, as I said, in 1976 the Carousel effect was stunning.
At least to me.

The novel the movie is based on is different in a few fundamental ways. Yet I still enjoyed it. I searched it out after I saw the movie. My understanding is that the two novels after attempt to take the different vision of the movie and first book, and even some aspects of the t.v. series, and bring them all together. My guess is they don't work very well...
Loremaster wrote:I have not seen the television series, nor do I want to.
Hold tight to that determination.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I saw it on big screen last year with Forbidden Planet. What a great night.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Loremaster wrote:I saw it on big screen last year with Forbidden Planet. What a great night.
I bet. Fascinating combo!!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

The Logan's Run TV series would have been a trip down memory lane - that is, if I had remembered any of it! My sister had a thing for Gregory Harrison, who played Logan. But I guess that show went nowhere fast. It proceeds from a false position, doesn't it? I mean, did the show's writers pretend that the movie didn't exist so that they could have Logan just be a "good cop" character having adventures every week? Or does Logan discover the truth about his society in, say, the pilot episode, and then spends the rest of the season running in search of Sanctuary...even though we know he already "found" it in the movie?

I probably did read, or try to read, the novel when I was small. Totally forgot everything about it. Might see if the library has a copy.
FireCat
Servant of the Land

How I found the site

Post by FireCat »

Hello Friends, I went to Stephen R. Donaldson's site and then proceeded on from there. I started reading his books when they came out( yes I am that old) lol . I now am introducing my son to the books. I am missing some from the series, and few of my books have received water damage in storage. I also had no idea he had started a last and final Thomas series. "very happy to note" So I have been going on E bay to get a good deal :)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, FireCat.
Be Well Come and True.

Terrific username and avatar! :thumbsup:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Welcome to the Watch. :D Beware of spoilers for the new series though. We do our best to keep them in the Last Chrons forums, but the occasional one slips by.

Join in anywhere else too.

--A
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

I came here because Cag told me to. Then I hung around a lot, then disappeared, then came back.
Misanthropes of the world, unite!
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

:D On the dedication page of FR, funnily enough :lol:
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.

Return to “The Summonsing”