How was it for you.....

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

peter
The Gap Into Spam

How was it for you.....

Post by peter »

I bet this is a pretty hackneyed theme but which one of us does not go all warm and gooey when we think of how we found our first Covenant book (hopefully LFB) and what it was like when we opened the very first page for the very first time. Here's my story.
I was 19y.o.when I found Lord Fouls Bane in a Plymouth (UK) book store when it was first published. I bought it on spec - something in the blurb caught me, (the words 'Cursed by a terrible disease...' ring a bell) and I started to read it on the train on the way home. By the end of the second or third page I was aware that I had chanced upon something that was seriously going to do it for me and by the time I arrived at my home I was fully hooked. I read the book pretty much at one sitting, ran down to my local bookstore the following morning and bought TIW and TPTP. These I read equally avidly untill I had completed them. Then I read them all again. For ten days my friends did not see me, my parents did not hear from me and my college studies went to pieces. My life returned to normal and carried on in its usuall vein untill one day I was waking through town and happened to glance into a bookshop window. A book on a stand seemed to have a vaguely familiar cover picture and it was called 'The Wounded.......... :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!:
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I was reading some fantasy novel before early morning seminary (probably Jordan or Goodkind) when my seminary teacher inquired if I liked reading fantasy. I responded affirmatively to which she inquired if I had read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever. When she found not I had not, she encouraged me to read them, and I bought the trilogy a couple weeks later. I admit, I wasn't initially impressed with Lord Foul's Bane, but once I got into The Illearth War, I was on the ride of my life, and by mid-book, I was hooked. I asked for and received the Second Chronicles for Christmas and devoured those. I've re-read them many times since. As a show of gratitude to my seminary teacher, I've bought her a copy of each of the Last Chronicles as they've come out (in the case of Runes of the Earth, that was in 2006 :) )
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
tinhamodic
Servant of the Land

Post by tinhamodic »

I first picked up LFB from the Science Fiction Book Club as a recommended pick. I was leery of the title and I admit the 1st chapter was like "What the hell is this?" But the story got interesting when he meets LF and gets transported to the Land. Needless to say, upon finishing the book I was craving for more.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”