Coverart for TWL error?Does SRD approve all art work?spoiler

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

DavidDel
Servant of the Land

Coverart for TWL error?Does SRD approve all art work?spoiler

Post by DavidDel »

Maybe this has been brought up before, but on the cover of TWL (purple edition), TC is walking towards the KRILL on the lake, behind him, on the shore is Brinn (the only person with him at the time) - but Brinn has a sword across his back. I am assuming the Haruchai continuing not to use weapons.

This got me wondering how much SRD had a hand in the cover art for the books or if it was something left to the editor or publisher. I like Darrel K Sweets art a lot, but the 'confusion' between the text and image make me wonder who was in charge of the final image.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Ask Wayfriend to show you his old avatar pic...
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I believe it says somewhere in the GI that SRD has no control over cover art...?
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

A bit of a digression from your question, but I have seen lots of different cover artworks for the books over the years and the ones that always do it for me best are still the original UK paperback covers. TC ic never depicted on them and the circular inset pictures always seem to get 'the feel' of the particular book just right. Also the work is vague enough that no 'spoilers' as such can really ever be drawn from the artwork. (Sorry guys - back to the main thread.)
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Is it possible Brinn isn't carrying a sword, but something of Covenant's?
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

-> Coverart for TWL error?Does SRD approve all art work?s

Post by SleeplessOne »

peter wrote:A bit of a digression from your question, but I have seen lots of different cover artworks for the books over the years and the ones that always do it for me best are still the original UK paperback covers. TC ic never depicted on them and the circular inset pictures always seem to get 'the feel' of the particular book just right. Also the work is vague enough that no 'spoilers' as such can really ever be drawn from the artwork. (Sorry guys - back to the main thread.)
agree Peter, best TC covers I've seen
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

If you have the recent reprints of the First Chrons, you will be so mortified over them, you will forget all about these. They all three depict a yellow gold ring. YELLOW. I think I threw up a little in my mouth standing in Barnes and Noble looking at them........
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
tinhamodic
Servant of the Land

Post by tinhamodic »

Could it have been Sunder or one of the freed prisoners instead of the Haruchai? Because the person in the background seemed to be in awe and shock which of course a Haruchai would not display. Also the cover done by Darrel K Sweet has done a great number of great cover art for Sci-fi and fantasy.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Rocksister wrote:They all three depict a yellow gold ring. YELLOW. I think I threw up a little in my mouth standing in Barnes and Noble looking at them........
I think SRD did as well. He said, "I think those covers are cheap--and deliberately misleading." Not to mention, "The fact that the ring depicted is *yellow* gold is a shameless attempt to cash in on "The Lord of the Rings" somehow." [GI]
soft one
Ramen

Post by soft one »

tinhamodic wrote:Could it have been Sunder or one of the freed prisoners instead of the Haruchai? Because the person in the background seemed to be in awe and shock which of course a Haruchai would not display.
I've always assumed it was Sunder for that very reason.
Covenant turned in time to see a short figure detach itself from the burning mud, step queasily onto the hard ground.

The figure was scarcely taller than the skest, and shaped like them, a misborn child without eyes or any other features. But it was made of mud. Flames flickered over it as it climbed from the fire, then died away, leaving a dull brown creature like a sculpture poorly wrought in clay. Reddish pockets embedded in its form glowed dully.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Well, I looked at the book cover closely, and there's no doubt it's a sword.

I can't think of anyone who had a sword.

And only Brinn followed Covenant to the tarn. Sunder wasn't there.

And Brinn wouldn't let his jaw hang so low, I don't think.

I think we have to declare this one an art/story screwup.
soft one
Ramen

Post by soft one »

Could it be a bo staff instead of a sword? I mean, metal wasn't very common in the Land.

I do think you are right though... it's probably artistic license.
Covenant turned in time to see a short figure detach itself from the burning mud, step queasily onto the hard ground.

The figure was scarcely taller than the skest, and shaped like them, a misborn child without eyes or any other features. But it was made of mud. Flames flickered over it as it climbed from the fire, then died away, leaving a dull brown creature like a sculpture poorly wrought in clay. Reddish pockets embedded in its form glowed dully.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I could not find a pic on line that shows enough detail. But inspection of an actual book makes it clear it cannot be anything but a sword.

Or a sword-shaped beacon. :wink:
The Troubadour
Servant of the Land

Post by The Troubadour »

Gotta be artistic license. Even though I favor Sweet's covers, I don't think any of them present an accurate representation of the respective scenes.
"We call him 'Walking Eagle.' You know why? Because this bird is so full of **** he can't fly!"
Morinmoss
Stonedownor

Post by Morinmoss »

That cover really does Brinn injustice (if that really is Brinn). First, no self-respecting Haruchai would never be crouching in that position with an open-mouthed expression. Brinn would be standing with the usual dispassionate look on his face. Secondly, the Haruchai never felt the need for weapons. As they say, "we suffice".

I love the Haruchai - they are truly badass mofo's!
stuartfanning
Stonedownor

Post by stuartfanning »

wayfriend wrote:I could not find a pic on line that shows enough detail. But inspection of an actual book makes it clear it cannot be anything but a sword.

Or a sword-shaped beacon. :wink:

Looks like a sword strapped on his back to me!
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Morinmoss wrote:That cover really does Brinn injustice (if that really is Brinn). First, no self-respecting Haruchai would never be crouching in that position with an open-mouthed expression. Brinn would be standing with the usual dispassionate look on his face. Secondly, the Haruchai never felt the need for weapons. As they say, "we suffice".

I love the Haruchai - they are truly badass mofo's!
Could not agree more Morinmoss - this figure if it were meant to represent Brinn would not be artistic licence, it would be culpable misrepresentation! And to Brinn of all the Haruchai, who had to be the coolest of the cool. (Remember how his hand came out and gripped Covenants wrist and his flat expressionless face appeared through the cell door in the na-Morhams goal beneath Revelstone.)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Hell, all this time I thought it was Linden.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

wayfriend wrote:Or a sword-shaped beacon. :wink:
:LOLS: :haha:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I quite like the representation of Covenant (especially hi grubby white T shirt below the robe) :banana: , but does anyone else feel that the picture has a sort of almost 'biblical' feel to it, what with the robe and the light and the cross shaped sword and all......

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”