AFL: a non-contact sport.

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I'm not saying anything until after the dogs v pies. :biggrin:

~EDIT~ Oh, bugger! Well, the Pies now have an easy task, the fading Saints!
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

Okay.

So, no one picked Adelaide, did they? Seriously, they just embarrassed Essendon. (Hmmm...Buddy gets rubbed out, and Hawks lose...Lloyd out, Essendon lose...hmm, it IS an AFL conspiracy! Right, time for my medicine.)

I must admit though, this final series is more interesting than last years - even for me. It's like anybody could win.
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

Adelaide looked ominous Friday night ...

Geelong had a very solid victory over the Doggies today, they were pushed but always seemed to have the answers when it counted. Enright and Scarlett are guns.

Brissy and Carlton playing out a tight one early at the Gabba ...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

And the Lions in a thriller! Did anyone watch this - the crowd were LOUD!!

Looking forward to tomorrow's game too, it should be a good one.
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

I managed to catch bits of it during work. It looked like a ripper of a match! So, that ends Carlton's run, right?

Cats looked a bit ragged to me, but they did enough. The Bulldogs were always going to be tough, for anyone.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

> AFL: a non-contact sport. Post a reply

Post by SleeplessOne »

yeah Stevie G, todays game should be a ripper.

Carlton and Essendon have finished up for the year, both teams would be gutted for different reasons; Essendon barely fired a shot and fell in a heap against a red-hot Crows, while Carlton let a 5 goal lead slip away.
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

Condolences, StevieG.

Well, the first half was good, but the intensity just seemed to drop off as the game progressed. Collingwood did realise that was a final, right? It was almost as if they decided early to conserve their energy for Adelaide next week...perhaps I'm being a tad harsh, from the comfort of my easy-chair.

And it seems the Ladder was spot on the money this year, at least so far. Good news for Saints supporters...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

You've got that right, Earthfriend. I almost couldn't watch the second half as the pies seemed to ease off, and play like crap really. Don't know what was going on there.

The really unfortunate thing is my wife goes for the Saints...
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

Ouch! Still it could be worse. Imagine the trouble you'd be in if Collingwood had won...heh.

My boss barracks for Collingwood, and he put $100 on for the win today, and even he didn't expect the Pies to win. According to him, they were stuffed the moment Rocca was selected. (Not sure if he was joking or not.)

So, Pies v Crows. Geez, StevieG, if your boys play like they did today, they're gone. There's gotta be more up Malthouse's sleeve, yes?
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Well, I'm glad Rocca looks like he's injured and hopefully won't play next week. I mean, he didn't do that badly, but hasn't played since round 7 - then gets a run in a final??

Pies v Saints should have been the game of the round, but second half was a fizzer really. Saints probably should have won by a lot more. They've got a lot of height in their team.

SleeplessOne, I reckon Carlton will be gutted for months, letting such a lead slip away. And Essendon just didn't perform. Crows look damn hot, and based on the last game, I reckon you're right Earthfriend - it could be a demolition! But, it's finals - anything could happen.

You've been keeping quiet, SleeplessOne - go on, who do you support? It's not Adelaide by any chance??
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

Well, I'm glad Rocca looks like he's injured and hopefully won't play next week. I mean, he didn't do that badly, but hasn't played since round 7 - then gets a run in a final??

Pies v Saints should have been the game of the round, but second half was a fizzer really. Saints probably should have won by a lot more. They've got a lot of height in their team.

SleeplessOne, I reckon Carlton will be gutted for months, letting such a lead slip away. And Essendon just didn't perform. Crows look damn hot, and based on the last game, I reckon you're right Earthfriend - it could be a demolition! But, it's finals - anything could happen.

You've been keeping quiet, SleeplessOne - go on, who do you support? It's not Adelaide by any chance??
Stevie G, I reckon the Pies can bounce back against Adelaide - Crows are in good form, but they didnt beat anyone above them all year during the H&A season (*and* the Pies knocked Adelaide off over at AAMI didnt they?).

If there's anything the Finals have shown us so far this year it is that the pecking order established during the H&A season has been a pretty fair indicator of quality - I reckon the Pies will regroup; they are a proud group, and Malthouse will have them revved up to swamp the Crows.

BTW, despite a pretty ordinary performance from Collingwood on Sunday I thought Daisy Thomas (who a lot of neutral supporters can take or leave) and Nick Maxwell can hold their heads up after strong 2nd half performaces (I didnt see the first half, was at the movies ..)

I barrack for the Cats.
- It's a love-hate thing, they have shattered me over the years, 2007 was little compensation for all the angst they've given me, so I'm not particularly parochial when it comes to them.
They did ok on the weekend, Scarlett and Enright were phenomenal and Ablett was back to some of his better form (first time he would've had more kicks than handballs for quite a while too I'd say ..).
Sadly for Cats fans, I reckon we might be in for more pain this year; will possibly be good/lucky enough to get to the GF, only to go down to a red-hot Saints/whoever ... as a Collingwood fan you're probably best-placed to have an inkling of that pain, the Pies have obviously lost a few GF's over the journey - but the Cats have perfected the 'art' over the past couple of decades with no less than 5 Grand Final losses :(
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Collingwood beat Adelaide at AAMI, but lost to them at the MCG. Oh yeah, I have felt the pain of finals' losses! You're right though, Malthouse will make sure they're fired up for the clash. Should be interesting...

So, anyone care to predict? Pies v Crows? I'm gonna go Pies, because I have to!

Doggies v Lions. I'm going to say the Doggies.

Are these the only 2 games next week?
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

So a Pies supporter, a Cats-man and a Hawker walk into a bar...

I can understand you being cautious, SleeplessOne, especially after last years GF debacle. (I had no finger nails by the final siren - I spent most of the match waiting for the Cats to kick it up a notch and overrun us. But the spirit of '89 must have been with the Hawks on the day. That, and the Cats kicked terribly. But, as usual, I digress...)

I still feel Cats are in the prime position. Collingwood are going to find it difficult now, without the week's rest. That's assuming they beat Adelaide, which is no mean feat. And the Saints have turned choking into an art-form, whereas Geelong will have the spectre of last year, spurring them on.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

yep I'll stick with the top 4 teams; Pies and Dogs for mine ...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

It's a great finals series, really, because no-one is the absolute favourite.

(Oh, and just in brackets, last year's final was a great game, but the Cats gave it away early with poor finishing - they threatened to run all over the Hawks and just couldn't get away. Then the Hawks seemed to change from "hanging in there" to "believing in themselves". I was happy for the Hawks, but now I know Earthfriend goes for them, I dunno .... ;). Nah, actually I'm still happy for the Hawks! )

If I wasn't a pies fan, I'd love to see a St Kilda v Western Bulldogs final - neither of them have been in one for a long time, I don't think. And obviously, to keep the peace in the house, I'd be barracking for the Saints!
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

spot-on with your assessment of last years GF Stevie G, Cats made a real meal of it, and Hawks played some very clean, direct football and were the better team on the day. Earthfriend would have many fond memories of successful Hawthorn teams over the years no doubt !

I still think the Saints look the goods this year, but every team still in the running would still have a genuine belief that they can bring home the flag this year, as you said, makes for a great finals series ..
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Re: AFL: a non-contact sport.

Post by Earthfriend »

SleeplessOne wrote: Earthfriend would have many fond memories of successful Hawthorn teams over the years no doubt !
Ah, memories, they light the corners of my mind. Not so sure what to make of my team's efforts this year, though. I'd have to say disappointed. We either had the biggest Grand Final hangover I can remember, or last year was mostly by fluke. (Not that I mind - a win is a win is a win.) Hopefully we can have a good pre-season and work our 'issues'.
StevieG wrote:So, anyone care to predict? Pies v Crows? I'm gonna go Pies, because I have to!

Doggies v Lions. I'm going to say the Doggies.
Check and check. (Though Collingwood better turn up to play.)

You know, we wouldn't go too well on Footy Classified. I mean, we're all in consensus.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

You know, we wouldn't go too well on Footy Classified. I mean, we're all in consensus.
haha, sometimes I think those 4 clowns just argue for the sake of it ...

EF, great minds think alike, fools rarely differ, take yer pick ;)
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Well, the Doggies smashed the Lions, so I'm thinking great minds....

Hopefully the expert panel have predicted tomorrow's game correctly. :biggrin:
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

I'm actually looking forward to watching the Pies play tomorrow. Though I could never barrack for them, (sorry StevieG, but I know you understand,) I hope they make a real fight of it.

Return to “Sports”