Foamfollower

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Did FF look any different by PtP? It would be 46 years later, I think.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
hue of fuzzpaws
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by hue of fuzzpaws »

Plenty of scars I think, however, forty plus years would not make that much difference to a Giant as far as the aging process goes (FF is already 1000 years old when he first meets TC)
"Let's not fight. I don't like fighting" Frostheart Grueburn
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Ur Dead wrote:
Always though Foamfollower would be a thinner build but with rock hard muscles. Like in the cover of TPTP. (the one where elena is trying to make him into a thin version of the Hulk)
hmmm.... i read the spoiler when I quoted this... good thing im listening to Lord Fouls bane on my way to FR..... I see Foamfollower like he is on TPTP also... I rechecked the cover and I would make him a tiny bit different and I like the rendering of Foamfollower from Hue of Bone...but...LMAO>.. hahaha the first image he posted of the burger king almost made me fall off my seat... it reminded me of Lord Hyrim sort of.. personality you see in the Burger King Foamfollowers face is exactly how i pictured lord Hyrim......
hue of bone wrote:Plenty of scars I think, however, forty plus years would not make that much difference to a Giant as far as the aging process goes (FF is already 1000 years old when he first meets TC)
Yep.

I pictured Foamfollower as a Huge Good natured Biker tall (of Course) but not over bulky in ratio to his height ... ..im almost to the point where TC and Atiaran are reaching Soaring Woodhelvin. :D I will have better descriptions of FF soon..
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Foamfollower is huge of stature as well as height, he has small deepset eyes that twinkle with perpetual good humour. His face is homely rather than good looking, heavy browed and bearded, curley haired (reddish) and heavy set in his features. His hands are large - even for a giant and calloused from years of handling rope and stone. His voice is deep and 'bubbling' - as if it were always about to break into laughter. In terms of age he would appear to us to be in his early forties, despite his great age. He is a bit like a giant David Bellamy (if anyone remembers David Bellamy now).
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Vader wrote:Shorter hair, brighter shoulders and way more muscles. The face needs to be more rough and male and and like that of a male stripper.

In fact Foamfollower for me is the boday of Schwarzenegger (Conan) with the head of Ron Perlman.

I like the Ron Perlman idea for Foamfollower
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Blackhawk wrote:
Oddly enough this would ok with me.
:D
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
krillarbran
Stonedownor

Post by krillarbran »

I always pictured him as a person with an extremely tall figure with the shape of a "fat" wrestler with very broad shoulders but the "fat" is actually all muscle.

Imagine this guy with a more broader figure and nearly twice his height.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ropped.jpg
hue of fuzzpaws
<i>Haruchai</i>

without the beard
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

I see SF something like this...

Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

hue of bone wrote:Plenty of scars I think, however, forty plus years would not make that much difference to a Giant as far as the aging process goes (FF is already 1000 years old when he first meets TC)
I thought he was nearer 3500. In LFB he claims to have been born during the exile of the unhomed after the ritual of dessication.
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Hue: A giant can't not have a beard.

Thor: In LFB the RD was about 1000 years prior.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Maybe it's because I'd seen the cover of TPTP (the green one... is that Darrell Sweet?), but that image of FF looked like I always pictured him.

Otherwise, I saw him looking like Wilt Chamberlain (of course wearing something a bit more appropriate for the Land than a basketball jersey)

Notice Covenant standing behind him... 8)

"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Here's a picture of FF showing off his whiskers.

hue of fuzzpaws
<i>Haruchai</i>

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Stone and Sea!

Just for fun, can you make his beard lean more towards a mediterranean (for lack of a better word) appearance? Fuller on the chin, lower down on the cheaks, a hint of a fork? (See Shazam above, but not quite that extreme.) Like in this pic.

hue of fuzzpaws
<i>Haruchai</i>

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Saltheart Chamberlain...heh
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Foamfollower's age at the time of The First Chronicles (roughly 1000 years) has already been covered by other commenters.
Spoiler
We learn in Fatal Revenant that The First had her third son "later in life", that Galewrath was in turn the third son of his parents, and it can be presumed that Galewrath, having been a trainee Swordmainnir before his accident, is young by Giant standards (equivalent to 20-30 of our years). These aren't really exact clues, but they suggest a life expectancy for Giants of somewhere between 2000 and 3000 years, and that Foamfollower would be roughly the equivalent of a 30-something year old human

The other thing I've learned from re-reading The First Chronicles (I'm currently up to 'Lord Mhoram's Victory') is that SRD lets in a few discrepancies and inconsistencies in terms of characters' ages and relative ages (e.g. Mhoram was 70 in TIW and 90 in TPTP despite only 7 years elapsing in The Land) so I'd be content with very approximate estimates when it comes to Giants' ages and comparisons with human ages.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

DrPaul wrote:e.g. Mhoram was 70 in TIW and 90 in TPTP despite only 7 years elapsing in The Land
Very observant reading! Wish I could be that perceptive in my own reading process - It makes me wonder how much I might be missing in the books and how much richer the stories might be if I had the acute level of perceptivity shown by Dr Paul!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
jackgiantkiller
<i>Elohim</i>

giant age

Post by jackgiantkiller »

What I could never work out is how the three giant ravers reached adulthood so quickly, they were only born prior to LFB but by IEW they are adults?

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”