Pandora.com and finding new music

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Pandora.com and finding new music

Post by deer of the dawn »

I just discovered this very simple music streaming site. You put in artists you like and they make a radio station that streams music of that genre and type of music. A commercial comes up every few songs. I'm not sure how they decide what to stream. I typed in Bob Dylan, Switchfoot, Peter Gabriel and Asa, and Van Morrison came up

I like it because I'm poor and can't afford tons of CDs. This gives me a way to listen for free and decide what to buy, or at least to covet. :) Plus to hear my old faves come up unexpectedly, or tracks I had forgotten about (Peter Gabriel's Digging in the Dirt came up. Cool!)

Anyway, I'm liking it, but I have always wondered how people like me who did NOT have a cool older brother or sister with unlimited income to buy music discover the new music they want to buy and keep?? How do you do it?
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Gil galad
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gil galad »

It seems to only be available if you're coming from inside the US :(
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I used to subscribe to CMJ magazine (College Music Journal). They had a CD with the magazine, and I'd toss the magazine and listen through the CD. I found quite a few bands that way. Now I've been picking up new music from strange sources, like Rock Band, and karaoke games. And the show Weeds seems to have a lot of great songs on it.

Thanks for starting this as you forced me to look up CMJ online. If you like "discovering" bands before they become big, here is a good place to do it. It looks like they have downloads and samples. I will probably be a frequent visitor from now on.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
psytech
Stonedownor

Post by psytech »

Wow.

Went to the site, typed in Hindemith, not really expecting much. However, it not only picked some Hindemith, but other composers with music of similiar styles, etc. Very interesting.

Thanks, DotD! :)
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Been using Pandora for a while and love it.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Used to listen to Pandora. Back when it didn't put ads between the songs, just limited how often you could skip tracks.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Pandora has ads now? Lame.

I used to listen to it a lot, but not recently. It was good fun, and I learned a bunch of new music that I like.-jay

Return to “General Discussion Forum”