The Haruchai.

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

peter
The Gap Into Spam

The Haruchai.

Post by peter »

It is fairly clear that the Haruchai feature highly as one of the major 'creations' of Donaldson in making the Land what it is and what we love. But answer me this - Do all the Haruchai, including the Bloodguard, have just one personallity. Is Bannor the same individual as Brin or even Stave, in the way they are portrayed - and indeed is this part of the reason we love them. Is it that thier badass coolness is just replicated from individual to individual throughout the books, absolutely reliable and predictable just like the Haruchai themselves. :?: :?: :?:
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
soft one
Ramen

Post by soft one »

I think so. However, once Brinn and Cail fell victims to the merewives, I believe their personalities were changed. The other Haruchai maintained their fundamental personalities though.
Covenant turned in time to see a short figure detach itself from the burning mud, step queasily onto the hard ground.

The figure was scarcely taller than the skest, and shaped like them, a misborn child without eyes or any other features. But it was made of mud. Flames flickered over it as it climbed from the fire, then died away, leaving a dull brown creature like a sculpture poorly wrought in clay. Reddish pockets embedded in its form glowed dully.
Kaydene
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kaydene »

They are connected in their minds. They share thoughts and can speak to each other this way. I think it lends to the idea that they're all connected. Maybe as one organism.

There are theories that we are all connected as one organism...all on the same "blanket" if you've ever seen "I [heart] Huckabees". :-)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZnEa23MFOg
"This is the room where Jezebel frescoed her eyelids with history's tragic glitter." ~Tom Robbins

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I don't see them as being One, in the Borg sense. But they all insist on absolutes to every situation. This means they all find the same answer to every question. The same view of each situation.

Also, as Keydene points out (I also [heart] Huckabees, btw :D), they have some serious telepathy among themselves. This can only make them even more similar, eh?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

In the First Chrons, the Bloodguard *do* have distinct personalities.
In TIW; when Runnick told his tale, he was glossing over details too much so that everyone had to ask him questions to get the whole story...

..But when Tull told his tale, he told it in great detail. *And* when he was faltering over the story, one of the other Blodguard had to slap him back to his senses.

In the 2nd Chrons...well Cail got the sh*t beat out of himself, for falling for the Merewives, because the rest of the Haruchai figured he was unworthy.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Kaydene
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kaydene »

Remember, thought, it wasn't so much a punishment as it was testing to see where his strengths and weaknesses were. He later passed that lesson on to the rest of the Haruchai when they fell under the sway of the Clave momentarily.
"This is the room where Jezebel frescoed her eyelids with history's tragic glitter." ~Tom Robbins

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

True...but they judged him.
The haruchai constantly judge themselves; I guess that's why they all *seem* to have the same personality; but underneath, they all have their own.
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
Kaydene
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kaydene »

They definitely are the Objectivists of the group. Nothing is gray to them. It's black or white.

I know I struggle with this.

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

What yourself, or reading about the Haruchai?
=)
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
Kaydene
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kaydene »

Both I guess. haha. I meant myself. I tend to see things in black and white unless I catch myself.

Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Kaydene, catch yourself
Buying a color TV
For broader spectrum
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
Kaydene
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kaydene »

haha. Nice. It's not that bad, though. :p I believe in objective principles, but I also believe there are many shades of gray. Sometimes, I just accidentally revert to thinking there is only good and bad, or right and wrong.

Balance has got to be key, right? ;) Otherwise, we'd all be Haruchai; never sleeping, eating, or having sex. heh.

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Kaydene wrote: Otherwise, we'd all be Haruchai; never sleeping, eating, or having sex. heh.
After they finally broke their vow; I wonder if Bannor tried to hook up with any of those cute Ramen girls?

btw Kay...for someone that sees things in mostly black and white ...or different shades of grey; your avatar sure has a lot of colour.

Back on topic; I like it when we do get to see Haruchai use a little bit of colour...think before they act.

This happens a fair bit throughout TIW (which I am currently reading)
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
Kaydene
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kaydene »

The Illearth War was my fave so far anyway. :) It's my first time reading all of the books. I'm on White Gold Wielder. :)

Bannor probably did hook up with those girls.
Spoiler
We saw Cail go back to the Merewives, afterall ;)

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Eagerly awaiting the conclusion of "It cannot now be set aside, nor passed on", Fist and Faith's fanfiction version of the fate of Korik's mission after the events in Seareach.

If you have not read parts 1 and 2, you are in for a treat! Find them in the Hall of Gifts.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Kaydene wrote:The Illearth War was my fave so far anyway. :) It's my first time reading all of the books. I'm on White Gold Wielder. :)

Bannor probably did hook up with those girls.
Spoiler
We saw Cail go back to the Merewives, afterall ;)
No - I don't believe Bannors Haruchai nature would ever let his fidelity to his first, albeit long dead, wife be broken. A Haruchai's commitment is, in the words of Shakespear, '..an ever fixed mark that looks on tempests and is never shaken'. Commitment in the Haruchai world is not so flimsy a thing as to be touched by such trivialities as time and death.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Savor Dam wrote:Eagerly awaiting the conclusion of "It cannot now be set aside, nor passed on", Fist and Faith's fanfiction version of the fate of Korik's mission after the events in Seareach.

If you have not read parts 1 and 2, you are in for a treat! Find them in the Hall of Gifts.
I'm probaly being a dork Savor Dam, but I can't find the Hall of Gifts you refer to. Can you give me directions :?: :?: :?:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Savor Dam, much as I'd like to take credit, that story was written by iQuestor.

peter, toward the bottom of the main page is the Scatterlings forum. The first sub-forum there is The Hegemony. The first sub-sub-forum of The Hegemony is The Hall of Gifts. Or, click this:
kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=19
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

I think the Haruchai do have differences of both personality and opinion.

They seem to settle such differences through physical conflict; measuring the strength and fidelity of an individual's person or argument through that person's combat prowess. Once a resolution is reached, however, they act in complete acceptance of the outcome, without dissent or reluctance, to the best of their ability.

Maybe this is where the feeling that all Haruchai share one personality stems from; as they normally go to lengths to have their 'discussions' in private, and we get used to seeing them behave as a singular entity.
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Fist and Faith wrote:Savor Dam, much as I'd like to take credit, that story was written by iQuestor.
Quite right. I stand corrected. :oops:

My apologies to iQuestor...and a nudge to reinforce our collective anticipation of the third installment.

In case Peter (or anyone else) would like a direct link to the two existing parts of this story:

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”