What are you listening to?

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

[Syl]
Unfettered One

What are you listening to?

Post by [Syl] »

What's out there these days that you recommend? Right now I'd have to say give a listen to Queens of the Stoneage, Songs for the Deaf. No One Knows is probably the best track, but there's a lot of good music on that disc. Gonna Leave You, First It Giveth, and Hanging Tree are all good tracks. If you like 70s rock, but want something modern, this is what you're looking for.
Last edited by [Syl] on Wed May 26, 2004 2:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Well, right now with it being nearly Christmas, I've been listening to a lot of the TransSiberian Orchestra. :)
But otherwise, for rock I've been listening to some new bands like the French Kicks that prolly no one else has heard of, for jazz my three year love affair with Ella Fitzgerald's voice continues unabated, for country I've been listening to a lot of more obscure bluegrass bands like Dry Branch Fire Squad, and with rap I'm listening to Eminem's soundtrack from his movie Eight Mile Road. I'll listen to a lot of different sorts of things, depends on my mood. :D
Love as thou wilt.

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

*places French Kicks on his mp3 list*
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

duchess,

Ever heard of Nickel Creek? I just got their self-titled cd, because I saw a video of theirs on CMT a few times. (Not particularly a country music fan myself, but a woman at work is, so it's on sometimes.) They have definite bluegrass roots, even produced by Allison Kraus. One track is called "In the House of Tom Bombadil", and is purely instrumental. I can just see Tom dancing around his house to the tune :) One guy plays the mandolin, the other plays the guitar, and the woman plays the violin. The tracks that are vocal are excellent. One is a setting of "Sweet Afton", a poem by Robert Burns (also the author of the lyrics to Auld Lang Syne).
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I've picked up The Toadies first CD, Rubberneck (I've been digging around for early 90s grunge lately). I was trying to find their newer CD, Heaven Above/Stars Below, at a used CD store, but somebody had switched the disk with a demo CD (one track).

Anyway, pretty good stuff. The band's from Austin, TX, I believe. I recognized one track, Marsupial Stomp, from the radio ("...behind the boathouse, I'll show you my dark secret), which surprised me because I thought that song was done by Seven Mary 3.

If I had to describe it I'd put it somewhere between Alice in Chains and The Dead Kennedies with a little bit of CCR thrown in for flavor.

I recommend at least checking for some MP3s.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Lately I've been listening 2 alot of Ottmar Liebert (instrumental fusion flamenco), Lee Ritenour's zippy jazz guitar and Neil Young. Last night, somehow, on a "shuffle play" Richard Marx's " Big Boy Now" (words and music [and back-ups] by Fee Waybill (aka Quay Lude), leader of the now-defunct Tubes) popped up out of nowhere and rocked my houz down!
Last edited by danlo on Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Danlo, Since I read your post on listening to Godsmack last night I can't get "Voodoo" out of my head! :-)
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Sylvanus wrote:*places French Kicks on his mp3 list*
My one major regret - not taking advantage of the Napster era :(

It would be great to know what the best services are out there nowadays though.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I never got to use Napster, either. :(
What services ARE out there these days??

Fist and Faith, yes, I've heard of the band Nickel Creek. They're pretty good, but last summer we went down to the back of beyond, sort of where Virginia, Kentucky, and West Virginia all come together to do some family history research, and I picked up a bunch of CD's from some really raw bluegrass stuff, straight from the source. WOW! 8O

I also listen to Nickel Back. :wink:

But my all time favorite song in any form of music would have to be Beethoven's Ninth. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Love as thou wilt.

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

But my all time favorite song in any form of music would have to be Beethoven's Ninth.
I agree. An, as yet unfinished goal of mine, is to attend a live perfomance of the Ninth. Hopefully, since I'm now working in downtown Chicago, the CSO will perform it next season. :D :D
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Boy duchess u really slammed me w/some juxatposition there, kinda like what Vain quoted from me in the other music thread: "I never thought I would ever use Prince and Zappa in same sentence in this lifetime..." :D **now wandering around, shaking head, with visions of Flatt & Scruggs doing Radiohead covers..."** Well, Soundgarden did Johnny Cash (or vice versa...), so I guess anything's possible. Syl: I listened 2 Queens at a Xmas party--they kick, man!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Hey Damelon!! Whenever I listen 2 Voodoo I c TC looking straight in2 Marid's eyes saying:

I'm not the one who's so far away
when I feel the snake-bite
enter my viens

Never did I want to be here again
and I can't remember
why I came...

( :wink: xcerpt printed 4 those u have not heard Voodoo, or made the TC connection, but how can u not, once u've heard it? 8O)
Last edited by danlo on Sat Dec 28, 2002 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I didn't make the connection immediately. I should have. :oops: I reread the whole chapter with the song in my head. The beat of that song kicks A..! 8) :-) I'm going to have to get that cd. I did get a Borders gift certificate the other day. Umm....
[Syl]
Unfettered One

mp3's

Post by [Syl] »

the mp3 client i'm using now is kazaa... www.kazaa.com
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

my brother-in-law gave me a burnt disk of the band Breaking Benjamin. i've been listening to it in the car the last couple of days (down in Georgia visiting the wife's fam).

they've got a very eclectic sound, but i can't say if that's good or bad. sometimes they sound like Alice in Chains, sometimes like Bush, and sometimes stray toward the heavier end of the spectrum like Pantera. i can't really identify what their sound is, though.

musically, they're pretty good. has a clean, almost polished feel to it. the more i listen to it, the more they start to grow on me.

the jury's still out on this one, but i'd definately say it's worth a listen.
-George Steiner
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

This is for Danlo!
Sometimes at work I get locked into a little room two stories underground with these huge laminar flow hoods blowing in my face, and get virtually no human contact for hours at a time. Music saves my sanity, and I have a bunch of different CD wallets I grab and take in with me at random. This week's wallet:
Limp Biskit
Led Zeppelin-- Latter Days Best of Led Zep vol. 2
Patty Loveless -- Mountain Soul
Reggae Sunsplash Live
Tina Turner -- Simply the Best
Billy Idol -- Greatest Hits
REO Speedwagon -- Hi Infidelity
Madonna -- Immaculate Collection
Now 7
Coyote Ugly soundtrack
a weird thing of Latin dance music
Singles - movie soundtrack
Bobby Lyle -- Secret Island
Traveling Willburys-- vol. 3
Fleetwood Mac -- greatest hits
Pink Floyd -- Echos (2 discs)
Dido -- No Angel
Staind -- Dysfunction
Destiny's Child -- Survivor
Train
Dry Branch Fire Squad -- Hand Hewn
Blue Ribbon Bluegrass (compilation album)
Paul Horn & R. Carlos Nakai -- Inside Canyon de Chelly (Native American flute duets)

Other wallets lean more to jazz or classical or 80's music or whatever. this one was a miscellaneous one... :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Dutchess,

Your music list reminds me that I was unsuccessful in looking for the Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 recently. An unscratched itch. :)
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

You know something odd? The minute Vain comes in, the song Mr.Vain by Culture Beat(my favorite singers of all time) comes on the radio. Weird huh?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Duchess! I love R. Carlos Nakai! U must find some Robert Mirabal immediately! Or listen 2 the album: Spirit: A celebration in dance and drum. Also check out a group called Sunrise, I have a CD called Thai Chi by them and the flutes and samazins r awesome!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

heh. i'm still waiting for Vain to acknowledge my Carly Simon reference... bad as it was.
-George Steiner

Return to “Vespers”