The Seven Hells

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

peter wrote:
DukkhaWaynhim wrote: Regarding Sunbane fertility - take something good, break it horrifically, and give it back. That's the essence of Lord Foul, because it engenders despair. Uncontrolled growth/fertility is known to us on Earth as cancer.

dw
I get this DukkaWaynhim, but what I was refering to was 'fertility' in the original list as one of the Seven Hells. To me it just doesn't seem to square with the others on the list.
Fertility as a hell? I think anyone who has watched Jon & Kate plus Eight would get the idea. Or the OctoMom.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

wayfriend wrote:... indeed, if the Land had been destroyed, it would have been counter to Foul's plans. Foul needed the Land to be miserable, but not dead, in order to manipulate Covenant.
yes, something broken to give back to him. I agree, wayfriend.
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

SGuilfoyle1966 wrote:
peter wrote:
DukkhaWaynhim wrote: Regarding Sunbane fertility - take something good, break it horrifically, and give it back. That's the essence of Lord Foul, because it engenders despair. Uncontrolled growth/fertility is known to us on Earth as cancer.

dw
I get this DukkaWaynhim, but what I was refering to was 'fertility' in the original list as one of the Seven Hells. To me it just doesn't seem to square with the others on the list.
Fertility as a hell? I think anyone who has watched Jon & Kate plus Eight would get the idea. Or the OctoMom.
gives a new thought to being caught out in a sun of fertility without stone to stand on.... imagine a pregnancy taking place in a matter of minutes rather than 9 months... i would rather suffer Marids Fate.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Have you read the Gap? ;-)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

Fertility could be a hell, think for a moment as a Land-person.

Lack of fertile suns would result in starvation. Sure the shedding of several of your town mates may provide temporary relief but there is no way that several acres of crops/fodder would keep a village going without fertility to bolster your food supplies. (Further, not in Foul's plan though, what happens when LA melds the Sunbane into the 'normal' sun?)

Second to that is the factor of slowing fleeing villagers if they ever turned on the Clave.

However, I concur that the primary aim of the sun of fertility was to give back something broken to the land, as was the sun of rain.
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I think it was more than this Thor - without rain and fertility the continued existence of the people in the Land would be untenable. Donaldson HAD to introduce some way that the continued existance of the people would be believable, hence he gave rain and fertility - but in a distorted way that would conform to his nightmare vision of the sunbane.
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”