The Photography thread - with pictures.

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Dig this, sucka.

Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

:lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Oh yeah!!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

That should've been the poster for Ghost Rider. (The movie would likely still have sucked, but...)
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Ire-Land

Post by bossk »

There were a couple of moments I had on a recent trip to Ireland (my first overseas trip ever) that made me think of Covenant moments, which I thought was a testament to SRD's writing. Especially because it had been some time since I had read any of his work when my wife and I took the trip.

www.flickr.com/photos/10337956@N06/4070483664/

These prehistoric beehive huts on the Dingle Peninsula made me think of Stonedowns, even though this isn't the way I pictured them in my mind. Just being surrounded by so much stone made me feel the way I felt when I read about Stonedownors.

I also had the perfect moment of vertigo at Dun Aengus on Inis Mor. It's a stone fortress with one end open to the cliffs overlooking the sea. While it didn't resemble Kevin's Watch in any detail, the feeling that one false move would put me over the edge (no fences, y'all) was overpowering.
Misanthropes of the world, unite!
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

JazFusion wrote:Newest batch. Just some flowers I picked up at the grocery store. Taken with the digital on full manual mode and very little (if any) touch ups in photoshop. (I still haven't gotten my film developed)

you are really doing some spectacular work with this camera. you have a real grasp of color and form. I like your work a great deal
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Vader wrote:Dig this, sucka.
Pwnd. Awesome. You so win. :D
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Ire-Land

Post by Cagliostro »

bossk wrote:There were a couple of moments I had on a recent trip to Ireland (my first overseas trip ever) that made me think of Covenant moments, which I thought was a testament to SRD's writing. Especially because it had been some time since I had read any of his work when my wife and I took the trip.
Ahh....you gotta know how jealous I am. I'm very happy you had an opportunity to go, but....I wanna too!!!!

And it just figures you'd go to a place called Dingle Peninsula.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

If you are a New Yorker I know you can appreciate this. In the city you are inundated with menu's. This was a guy from the Greenwich Village Halloween Parade.

The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

Cagliostro wrote:
bossk wrote:There were a couple of moments I had on a recent trip to Ireland (my first overseas trip ever) that made me think of Covenant moments, which I thought was a testament to SRD's writing. Especially because it had been some time since I had read any of his work when my wife and I took the trip.
Ahh....you gotta know how jealous I am. I'm very happy you had an opportunity to go, but....I wanna too!!!!

Well, you have to know that there's nobody I'd rather drink a pint or seven with on a rainy day. I'd like to show you more pictures of my Dingle Penisnula if you find the time, too. (Dang typos).
Misanthropes of the world, unite!
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

bossk wrote:
Cagliostro wrote:

Well, you have to know that there's nobody I'd rather drink a pint or seven with on a rainy day. I'd like to show you more pictures of my Dingle Penisnula if you find the time, too. (Dang typos).
Only if I can touch. But yes, I'd love it, and send me an email with all the details of your trip.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Post by Iryssa »

I've just started a photography class! I'm pretty excited that I'm finally learning to use my Canon EOS 30D properly (I'm SO not worthy of it!)

Anyway, this is the first photo I'm submitting (Monday) for class.
"A choice made freely is stronger than one compelled"
- Stephen R. Donaldson's The Wounded Land

https://www.xanga.com/Iryssa
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Hey, Iryssa, welcome back! Nighttime shots are always challenging but fun, what with all the saturated colors. I've thought on and off about photography class, too...but I dunno...it's expensive - especially for a full diploma - so I've been spending my money instead on photographic equipment, and just going out there and practice, practice, practice. Anyway, wish you success in your class!

Congrats on acquiring a Canon EOS 30D! I've never handled it, but have read reviews of it and seen sample shots, so I have some sense of its capabilities. Hope it provides you immense rewards as you grow in your photographic skill. (My own camera has been a Pentax since last year.)

Took this pic back in August:
Gave the owl a subtle glow in Photoshop

Hummingbird:
It took a lot of patience (and luck) to get a decent shot!

No autumn pictures this year. It was cold, wet, and windy - the crappiest October ever. Hope everyone else had a better fall season.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Excellent, Iryssa! :D What kind of lighting was that?

MM, were those, at least the owl, in a zoo?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Post by Iryssa »

Yeah, MM...I've been lucky in that my parents are paying for this class as a birthday present to me. I might just ask for the level 2 course for Christmas ;) I'm not in a full program at this point, but I might move into one eventually and just transfer in the classes I've already taken. I'm not exactly the most disciplined person in the world, so I'm worried that without the class I might just give it up as a lost cause.

It's just a small street lamp, Fist, set on the park path below the tree. I wish I'd taken my time a little more with that shot, but I'd already been trying for quite a while (without much success) to get some nice shots of the city, since the park where that tree is has some good lookout spots. Anyway, I was giving up and on my way home when I saw that tree lit up by the lamp. I was freezing my butt off so I just grabbed a few shots and left, but I might go back and try to do it better at some point.
"A choice made freely is stronger than one compelled"
- Stephen R. Donaldson's The Wounded Land

https://www.xanga.com/Iryssa
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Iryssa wrote:Yeah, MM...I've been lucky in that my parents are paying for this class as a birthday present to me. I might just ask for the level 2 course for Christmas ;) I'm not in a full program at this point, but I might move into one eventually and just transfer in the classes I've already taken. I'm not exactly the most disciplined person in the world, so I'm worried that without the class I might just give it up as a lost cause.
What a nice birthday present! The internet and the library has been my photography school, but like you say, the systematic classroom approach could provide the necessary discipline and motivation. And if you're serious about a career in the field then obviously it's an advantage to have a degree on your resume.
Fist and Faith wrote:MM, were those, at least the owl, in a zoo?
Yes, the owl was in the zoo. The hummingbird was in the English garden.
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

Argh. I've been having trouble loading film into my Minolta. I may need to have her serviced when I get the money. :( Here's my latest digital batch:

And the latest from the Minolta. I have some more I need to scan in, but I've been lazy.

"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut
Chrysalis
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Chrysalis »

matrixman-loved the bird pictures! Especially the humming bird. Patience for that was definitely worth it!
"-People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes."
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

Oh, man. That hummingbird shot is genius, MM! This is why I take pictures of flowers. I don't have the patience for moving subjects. :lol:
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Thanks, Chrys and Jaz!
JazFusion wrote:Argh. I've been having trouble loading film into my Minolta.
I had some minor frustration when I bought an Olympus Stylus compact automatic a few years ago - couldn't get the camera to grab onto the film roll's guide holes. Eventually I got the hang of it. Hope the problem with Athena isn't too serious.

What lens is that, by the way? You may have mentioned it before, but I forgot. I like the colors you got with Athena; what film did you use? I mainly used film that my specialty photo store sold under its name (which I later learned was Fujifilm stock).

Return to “General Discussion Forum”