2 Books to go. What back story do you want explained?

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Ok, 2 more books to go.
Before the final Harry Potter I would have said that there's no way SRD can answer all my questions with just 2 more books. Now I know it can be done.

There are other "prediction" threads and "final answer to the puzzle" threads already made.
This one here should be about the non essentials story lines we'd like to see expanded upon or answered.

What I'd like to see is the Haruchai homeland.
The women and children and their way of life.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I would love to read a chapter from Foul's POV. Just one chapter would be enough for me.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I can't wait to read the final chapter from Covenant's, Berek Halfhand & Lord Foul's shifting POVs as all three parts of the same personality are shouting at each other before they are finally re-merged by a sudden flood of wild magic into one being who in the end turns out to be author Stephen R. Donaldson.
It ends with SRD sitting by himself at a table at a book signing quietly shaking 2 aspirin into his unsteady hand and groaning.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Yes. I would love to hear Lord Foul's point of view, too.

I would like to see the Haruchai finally figure out whom to serve.

I would like to have someone finally explain those @!&# Elohim.

I would like to see what happens to samadhi/Nom.

I would like to know what's got Longwrath's panties in a twist.

Ditto Esmer's panties.

I would like to know what happened when the Theomach met the Elohim Guardian of the One Tree, and how he won.

I would like to know what happened to Jeremiah.

I would like to know if Linden lives.

I would like to know if Covenant lives.

I would like to know how the Land will come to an end in a way that leaves me satisfied and happy.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I'd like to know how incorpearl beings like the Viles could ever be considered slain (I'm looking at you, Harrow, to explain it!).
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

I want an ending where the Land is preserved or remade in some way, with the Ranhyn spared desecration.. Anyone who was shot / already dead in the 'real world' cannot have a miraculous recovery.. that would be devastating.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Ramen have now ridden . Im interested to see what effect this has on their overall way of life.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

wayfriend wrote:Yes. I would love to hear Lord Foul's point of view, too.

I would like to see the Haruchai finally figure out whom to serve.

I would like to have someone finally explain those @!&# Elohim.

I would like to see what happens to samadhi/Nom.

I would like to know what's got Longwrath's panties in a twist.

Ditto Esmer's panties.

I would like to know what happened when the Theomach met the Elohim Guardian of the One Tree, and how he won.

I would like to know what happened to Jeremiah.

I would like to know if Linden lives.

I would like to know if Covenant lives.

I would like to know how the Land will come to an end in a way that leaves me satisfied and happy.
Ditto on all of these, although I can give basic replies to two of these

1) The Elohim are basically inexplicable as we have no basis for comparison. They are (in some way) tied to the heath of the world. So we need a total explanation of life. I would love this explination but I doubt that it will be forthcoming.

2) Esmer was divided by his basic nature, half haruchi half mere-wives. That's enough to twist anybodies panties.
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

* I wanna know what the ur-viles have been trying to express to Linden this whole time ! *and* what/who those shackles are for...

* I wanna read how SRD approaches writing the character of Kastenessen after two books of Kassy hovering on the periphery of events

* I wanna know what's up with the 'real' Jeremiah

* I wanna see what role the Insequent will play in upcoming events

but most importantly I wanna know if we're gonna see any of TC's pov in the series !!
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

I want to see the Giants coming home to stay...and that'd do me!

Oh and,
maybe see the Mahdoubt return and
do stand-up comedy
in the roofless amphitheatre 8) 8)
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Re: 2 Books to go. What back story do you want explained?

Post by Cagliostro »

SleeplessOne wrote: but most importantly I wanna know if we're gonna see any of TC's pov in the series !!
Hells, yeah!
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
alanm
Ramen

Post by alanm »

this will be controversial

why did book 7 even get written when book 6 was a complete ending to the story.

infact books 7 and 8 are so bad that I have only read them once, I find it very difficult to actually see any continuation from book 6 into book 7 and beyond. But that is me being cynical I guess.

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

That is somewhat controversial... :P but I like to think of it like this: why was book 4 written when book 3 was a capped ending to the series? We know the ideas for the second and last chronicles came (possibly years) after the first.

Another way to look at it is that the ending to book 6 and 3 aren't as airtight as one might hope them to be. Lord Foul could still come back and continue his efforts of destroying hope and time... to tell you the truth, that was the one problem I had with the ending of White Gold Wielder, the victory against Foul, like in The Power That Preserves, was just a temporary victory.

So that's what another thing I'm looking forward to in this series, some closure on this conflict.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Y'know, as much as I loved the Second Chronicles, they didn't win my heart until much nearer the end on the first read through. I liked Vain, but it took me until towards the end to really get into the books. So I'm trying to keep that in mind and see where the new books are going. So far, I'm a tad let down, but SRD is always good at wrapping things up, so I'll hold off judgment until all is said and done.
I hate to say this, but DAMN the first two books were slow reads for me. Then again, I've been kinda slowing down on reading anyway lately. Too much else going on.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

alanm wrote:this will be controversial
No, lots of people, including me, would agree.
SRD had it all wrapped up for me. Answered all my questions. Foul was defeated and unlike before due to the existence of the new almost self aware Staff of Law, couldn't use Earthpower to renew* himself ( * that in itself is a huge flaw in the story to me). I pictured Foul to be like Sauron when his Ring was destroyed: only a shadow and unable to reform)

It was all done.
No need to expand. I was happy. Now it's a clusterf#ck with the way he writes it like a mystery.
But I like it. :lol:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
hpty603
Woodhelvennin

Post by hpty603 »

I want to know how the Worm of the World's End is dealt with first and foremost. I would assume that the Theomach plays a large part given his name meaning battle against the gods but the gods could just as easily be the Elohim. Speaking of Elohim, what are they going to do about it too? Will they straight out fight it? Trying to kill it before it destroys the Earth? Or fall into despair in their plight? Ah, too many questions with too many possibilities...

Linden should have quailed. His certainty was as bitter as the touch of a Raver: it should have defeated her. But it did not. How often had she heard Lord Foul or his servants prophesy destruction, attempting to impose despair? And how often had Thomas Covenant shown her that it was possible to stand upright under the weight of utter hopelessness?
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

There needs to be more sandgorgon action - preferably Nom.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
alanm
Ramen

Post by alanm »

I would like to know how Lord Foul was resurected after WGW.

Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

alanm wrote:I would like to know how Lord Foul was resurected after WGW.
He never really died, and the only things he seems to be doing right now are "whispering a word of counsel here and there, and awaiting events" (or however he says it). Maybe the reason why he's only whispering and waiting is precisely because more direct physical intervention is impossible for him.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Stonemaybe wrote:There needs to be more sandgorgon action - preferably Nom.
I submitted a sandgorgon question [something I noticed in 2nd chrons, popped up in third, some speculation..] to the G.I. Got a private response [because of other stuff in it] that was basically "what you speculated from 2nd that happened in 3rd shows
what I wrote made you think about things I wanted you to think about, but the rest is RAFO." An answer without an answer. Teased and made me laugh, but I bet it means you'll see some sandgorgon action. [speculation: probably not Nom, unless another time thing takes them there...immortal, or even millenial lifespan sandgorgons scare me].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”