Darkwood--Darkness Rising

Moderator: Seven Words

Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

[ooc]I can't see the map, so I can't say for sure about my movements, but...[/ooc]

If there is any nearby cover that looks better than where Vynarkus currently is, he heads for it, then he blasts Marrowrime again.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Skyseeker waits until Marrowrime moves, to avoid placing herself in a bad position....

Barak casts another Scorching Ray...but this time he fails to pierce the dragon's Spell Resistance.

Led also awaits the foul wyrm's move....

With a fierce warcry, Sven charges Marrowrime! As he closes, the drake seizes the opportunity, and bites him! (16 points! Sven's Greatsword whirls and descends in a powerful arc from over his head...but the tough hide deflects the blow!

Vynarkus moves to better cover, and sends another blast into the dragon! Again, the warlock manages to burn through the Spell Resistance! (CRITICAL BLAST!! 18 points)

Laurel moves, and kneels, quickly enchanting her arrows.

Marrowrime scurries along, heading squarely for the puny human who dared to bring fire---FIRE-- against him. As he moves, Led seizes the opportunity to slash once again..but again, the beast's armor proves impenetrable. Sven tries to land a blow as well, but overbalances and is stepped upon! ( CRITICAL FUMBLE!!! 12 points) Sven's body lies lifeless in the dragon's wake. Skyseeker now moves, stepping quickly across the cavern floor, launching a flaming javelin into the unsuspecting hindquarters of Marrowrime ( 21 points) Led now moves as wel, charging in pursuit, claws ripping again and again, only one striking to any effect ( 11 points) Marrowrime's dreadful fanged maw descends upon Barak, blood flying from the horrific attack! (15 points!)

Marrik cries out as he sees Sven's death, before stepping closer and slamming his enchanted axe into the drake's flank. (9 points)

Sigrid casts her spell...to no avail, Sven's body crushed beyond her ability to aid.

Finally, Jurgi uses his mobility advantage and charges halfway across the cave, battle-axe whistling through the air...but again the dragonhide proves doughtier than the weapons wielded against it.
Sigrid
Giantfriend

Post by Sigrid »

I look down in horror at Sven's lifeless corpse. "Many years hence, when your children join you in the halls of the dead, they will have heard the story of their father's fight against the Wyrm."

I move southwest 4 squares.
I cast "Create Water" on the dragon's face.
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

[ooc]...I honestly don't know if I took one, but...[/ooc]

Vynarkus pulls out the javelin he borrowed from Skyseeker to test if he could channel magic through his blast, and sends a blast coated in flame at the dragon.

[ooc]...I didn't take one, so...[/ooc]

He just blasts the dragon.
Last edited by Vynarkus on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Still singing, Laurel takes what cover she can from the rubble strewn round her. Raising her head in quick darts, she eventually rises enough to draw the magic arrow back on her bow, aim towards Marrowrime, and lets the arrow fly. Then the bard reaches in to her quiver for yet another arrow, nocking it and taking aim again.

[ooc]remain kneeling and shoot one magic (+1 to damage and +1 to hit) arrow enhanced by Sonic Weapon towards Marrowrime

reload[/ooc]
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led backs up 10', then screaming his rage once more, runs at the dragon again.

Third turn shifted
Move 2 squares east.
Charge 2 squares west.
Claw / claw / charge
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Skyseeker runs around the ice formation again, passing behind Vynarkus before flinging her second javelin. This one flies wide of the mark, however.

Led backs off and charges again. The dragon appears to be ignoring him, not attacking in the opportunity presents as Led backs away. The beast's disdain is apparently merited, as once again his claws fail to penetrate Marrowrime's scaly hide.

Eyes wide in panic, Barak realizes he can't escape the dragon's reach....placing his hope in the Wild Bitch's favor to preserve him, he tries to cast Scorching Ray once more. Marrowrime clearly perceives the threat he poses, and as he is vulnerable in his spellcasting, the dragon's blood-spattered jaws tear into him once more! (16 points) The shaman's ravaged body falls to the gore-bedecked ice.

Vynarkus unleashes another blast at the near-impossible to miss target. This blast does get through to sear the arctic flesh of the foe. ( 8 points)

Laurel's arrow skitters off the doughty hide of Marrowrime.

Marrorimw explodes into a frenzy of savage attacks in all directions! First, he bites at Jurgi, mauling him as well! 15 points) Jurgi collapses, blood pouring from the horrific rents left by the fangs carving through his still-icy body. Then, one claw lashes out at Barak's still form, seeing to ensure the demise of this most painful attacker (7 points) The other claw gouges at Marrik, his armor unequal to this mighty strike, able to absorb a mere third of its power. (7 points). One wing whips out, slamming into Led! (8 points). Lastly, the undulating tail flails at Led also! (18 points)

Screaming in rage over his fallen comrades, Marrik calls upon Missaryi to bless his attack as he tries to smite Marrowrime! But once again, the scales withstand the attack!

Olaf manages to penetrate the beasts defenses with a mighty spear thrust, but the dread beast's toughness ablates half the damage! (4 points)

Sigrid casts Create Water at the drake...but it's Spell Resistancefizzles her spell!
Sigrid
Giantfriend

Post by Sigrid »

I glance at Jurgi, from my own clan, companion these many years. "Rrzknth, please protect him just a little while longer." I cast Magic Missile at the dragon.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led screams in rage, at missing the dragon. Then he screams in pain, as the dragon fails to miss him.

He takes a cautious step away from the dragon, then quaffs a potion of healing.

Fourth turn shifted
5' step to the Northwest
Activate magic item (potion of CMW)
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus curses as yet another of his precious allies goes down, and hopes that Barak is still alive. He blasts Marrowrime again, aiming for an eye if possible without a large chance of missing.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The bard's voice momentarily hitches as she watches the sorcerer fall. But she had heard him call upon their shared deity, and firming her tone as she sings modulates her song to request Cerana's aid as well, hoping to continue to Inspire her comrades as she does so.

Steadying her arms as she continues to kneel behind the rubble, she draws back the nocked spell-enhanced magic arrow, takes aim again at Marrowrime, and lets fly. Then again reaches back in to her quiver and draws out a third spell-enhanced magic arrow, nocking it at the ready to fire again.

[ooc]perform check to call upon Luck's aid
continue to sing Inspire Courage
remain kneeling and shoot one magic (+1 to damage and +1 to hit) arrow enhanced by Sonic Weapon towards Marrowrime, drawing upon the flanking of the beast with the positioning of Vynarkus to assist her
reload[/ooc]
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Skyseeker doubles back, behind Vynarkus and around the ice barrier again before hurling her last javelin....which somehow manages to NOT hit the massive reptile despite being only fifteen feet away.

Led see the dragon's muscles bunching to run, and waits for it to move so he knows which way safety lies...

Vynarkus' mystical bolts continue to crater the dragon's body, again overcoming its resistance! (9 points)

The Wild Bitch's Kiss is upon Laurel! With a magic booming, her arrow sinks fletching-deep into Marrowrime! (8 points)

Marrowrime starts to whistle a discordant, a jarring series of notes utterly lacking in harmony! He moves quickly, getting between Sigrid and Laurel to unleash his chilling breath...but Led, Olaf, and Marrik all get a chance to strike! Led's quick claw is once again defeated by the scales...Olaf's spear sinks in but a fraction of an inch, defeated by the incredible toughness! Marrik's axe also fails to penetrate! Now the dragon's icy breath reaches out!

Sigrid is unhurt between quick reflexes and her protective spell!
Olaf is unable to dodge! (20 points) His body topples, frozen solid!
Marrik is unable to dodge! (20 points)
Skyseeker is unable to dodge! (20 points)
Vynarkus is protected by the rock formation!

Marrik charges Marrowrime, calling upon Missaryi once again to smite the evil dragon! (15 points). Even as he charges, the dragon's long neck enables it to seize the opportunity on his approach, biting savagely. His armor only slightly attenuates the brutal attack! ( 9 points)

Sigrid desperately casts Magic Missile at the fierce wyrm right next to her! The three projectile lance into the still-open maw, gouging deep into Marrowrime's skull! ( 10 points) the great beast shudders and collapses, finally dead.
Sigrid
Giantfriend

Post by Sigrid »

I check the fallen to see if they're still viable. Heals on those who need them.
Last edited by Sigrid on Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Her tune of Inspiration still in her throat, the bard sees the cleric assessing the injured and fallen. Modulating her singing once again, her song takes on the tone of a hymn and and fills the cavern with words of healing as the cleric readies her spells.

As Laurel sings, she wanders the cave, investigating their new location.

[ooc]Start singing a Healing Hymn prior to Sigrid casting any Cure spells.
Spot, Search, Listen, Appraise (if useful. Marrowrime was a dragon), Spellcraft (if such can be used to spot traps, etc.), and whatever other checks may come in useful in this situation, please[/ooc]
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus sighs heavily in relief at the end of the battle, then sighs again as he looks around at his frineds and wishes he was actually capable of doing something to help them. Then he resolves to make himself as useful as possible, and looks over the room with Detect Magic. While doing this, he also collects all of the party's scrolls that contain healing spells, for, under the influence of the Hymn, they would be more useful than the potions.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led looks around the room, not quite able to accept that the dragon is dead. Slowly, the red haze recedes, and he registers what's around him.

"Oh no. Barak..."

He walks slowly to the mangled meat in what must have been Barak's robes. Slowly, because he doesn't want to accept the truth. Not yet.

After agonizing step after step, his eyes start to pick up details... That might be Barak's hand. Over there a whole eye with Barak's piercing stare. And then the pieces fall into place.

Led falls to his knees, tears welling in his eyes. Reaching for somebody to blame, with the beast's frozen corpse already there, he notices Skyseeker stannding there. Her eyes are on him, because she's never heard him make this noise before.

In the elven tongue, "I wish you hadn't taught me to track, or that my master had never shown me how to see details. Then I wouldn't be able to see Barak out of this pile of meat. Forever will I remember my countryman in this final form."

He looks back down at the old man's pieces and stares until the pain starts to ebb. Then he begins to prepare the body for a proper Heshic funeral.

"We'll need to take him outside. He'll want to be burned under the open sky, so his spirit may roam free."
Geek the mage, first.
Sigrid
Giantfriend

Post by Sigrid »

I activate Sacred Healing, while standing within 60' of everybody in the party.

Sacred Healing: grants Fast Healing 3 to all those within 60' of me, for 5 rounds. Everybody heals 15hp.
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus goes around and collects all 21 of the magic items he spotted, trying very hard to stay in range of Sacred healing, also collecting anything that looks valuable that is nearby. Then he begins trying to identify them all.

[ooc]Spellcraft checks please, Seven.[/ooc]
Sigrid
Giantfriend

Post by Sigrid »

I notice the stranger moving through the items. I approach, and say in Fruspak, "I am Sigrid, follower of the Unknown Path. May I assist? I. I can't bring myself to tend to my friend's bodies now." I'm almost crying.

(ooc - What items need to be identified?)
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

[ooc]I've identified many of them, I'll show you the ones that I haven't, and discuss the ones I have in my next post.[/ooc]

"Well, although I can understand you not wanting to deal with the dead people, I think your time would be better spent adding more healing on top of what you have already done, because that probably won't be enough, especially since people seem to be moving out of range. [ooc]I'm looking at magic, so I know what the range is.[/ooc]
"These are the items I still don't fully understand."
1 wand-- nothing known
a red rock--transmutation, moderate---some kind of buffing effect
a book--transmutation, strong
a ring--faint abjur--protection of some kind
a Dire Flail--many elaborate carvings/etchings/inlays on it--strong abjur,
mod evoc, strong trans--this thing is complex, does a couple fo thigns ina ddition to having bonus to hit and damage "...I'd be careful with this..."
a Rod-- faint trans--affects spells cast somehow

"I don't want to go through everything all the rest of this stack can do more than once, so I'll wait until the rest of the party gather."

He then calls them over.

Return to “D&D-Darkwood”