New Dr Who

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Oh...that is wonderful! :lol:

Can anyone name them all...in order?
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Thanks, vasko. Delightful illustration! Perpugilliam "Peri" Brown was the first companion I got to know, as Peter Davison's turn as the Doctor was when I began watching the series regularly (sort of). So naturally, I'm fond of Peri. I was distressed by her character's fate, and I also did not like how abusive Colin Baker's Doctor was towards her (or so it seemed to me). That's one reason why I never much cared for Baker's turn, though he has his fans. (Yes, I know, one of whom is SRD. Each to their own.)

Speaking of Peter Davison, his real life daughter Georgia Moffett appeared in last week's episode The Doctor's Daughter (on CBC) as...you guessed it, the daughter of David Tennant's Doctor. How cool is that?
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

matrixman wrote:Thanks, vasko. Delightful illustration! Perpugilliam "Peri" Brown was the first companion I got to know, as Peter Davison's turn as the Doctor was when I began watching the series regularly (sort of). So naturally, I'm fond of Peri. I was distressed by her character's fate, and I also did not like how abusive Colin Baker's Doctor was towards her (or so it seemed to me). That's one reason why I never much cared for Baker's turn, though he has his fans. (Yes, I know, one of whom is SRD. Each to their own.)

Speaking of Peter Davison, his real life daughter Georgia Moffett appeared in last week's episode The Doctor's Daughter (on CBC) as...you guessed it, the daughter of David Tennant's Doctor. How cool is that?
You were distressed by Peri
Spoiler
getting married to the Warrior played by Brian Blessed? (The Dr was told later in Trial of the Time Lord that what he saw of her death was not true)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I just finished watching the Christmas special, The Next Doctor. My respect for David Tennant has increased since his second season, and his last season - barring the weak Dalek ending - was superb. However, the Next Doctor was largely disappointing. The ending with the Cyberking was just awful and ranks as possibly the worst finale in Doctor Who history. I hate what they have done to the Cybermen in this story.
Spoiler
Finally, what was with having children operate the cybermachinery? Just to get an emotional reaction out of the audience? How much more melodramatic can RTD get?
vasko
Woodhelvennin

Post by vasko »

It was the weakest christmas special so far.
The true next doctor is being anounced later today...
"There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken." - Thomas Covenant
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Yes, I read that too. I await the announcement.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

sindatur wrote: You were distressed by Peri
Spoiler
getting married to the Warrior played by Brian Blessed? (The Dr was told later in Trial of the Time Lord that what he saw of her death was not true)
I don't remember the details of that story, only that I didn't like how Peri was seemingly left behind to fend for herself. But maybe that happened to many of his companions on earlier shows, for all I know.

Once again, I haven't been keeping up with the new series. But sorry to hear that the Christmas special was a disappointment.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I am very excited about the 11th Doctor. His new costume is fabulous:

www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/t ... 3&nSlide=1
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Ah, at last! It's about time the Doctor started looking eccentric again.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

it's all happening 8O
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

What? What? What's all happening???

...frigging waiting to see British imports...
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

it's ALL happening!

I said that, didn't I?

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

:hithead:

...grumble...
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

8O :(

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Stonemaybe wrote:8O :(
Can't wait. Watched Part 1 last week, it was a fantastic start, Pt 2 is on BBCA here tomorrow.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*wishing I had cable...
...no, make that any television...
...at this point*
vasko
Woodhelvennin

Post by vasko »

Was dissapointed by part one, part two more than made up for it.
"There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken." - Thomas Covenant
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

I might have gotten a tear near the end.
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Some thoughts...
Spoiler
Loved, loved, loved the interaction between the Doctor and the Master--and that the latter remembered at the end who had been his friend. Plus isn't it cool that the Master took out none other than Rassilon himself!?!?

From the comments by those involved, it seems clear the mysterious woman in white was in fact the Doctor's mother--resurrected for the Time War. Methinks her appearance was a kind of "echo" akin to that between the fourth and fifth Doctors way-back-when.

Gotta wonder who the other dissenting Time Lord might have been. I like to think it was Borusa, that he learned in the end to be yet again the wise old patrician he had been. And the Time Lady killed by Rassilon--Romana?

Methinks it was appropriate that the Doctor in the end died not to save the universe or an entire world, but simply a nice old man. Yet he barely hesitated. Bitter, afraid, yet in a way at peace--perhaps he found some peace in revisiting that terrible decision to end the Time War by wiping out both sides? Having his mother's blessing, and seeing his old friend again be his friend (and the final straw--it was Rassilon who deformed the Master, drove him mad--but underestimated his victim as the last words the Lord President heard were "YOU did this to me! My whole life! MY WHOLE LIFE!")

Mickey and Martha together. I liked that. The Doctor saying goodbye to Mary Jane, to Captain Jack, to the grandchild of the woman he had loved as another man, etc.

The trailer for the new series shows what look like a Dalek, vampires in a Renaissance setting, Dr. River Song (!) and none other than the Weeping Angels. Wow.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

Tonight at dinner my 7 year old son said to my 9 year old son "Daniel, you are eating like The Master ate that turkey". Before our daughter was born we decided that we would let the boys name her (within reason) and after Lily was settled on as a first name Daniel said "can we name her Rose too after Rose on Dr. Who?". Lily Rose is asleep downstairs as I type this. David Tennants years as Dr Who have given my family memories that the kids will take with them forever and hours of quality family time watching something that entire family thoroughly enjoyed. (and helped name my daughter).

Return to “TV Shows”