Mythological Beast

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Ermingard
<i>Elohim</i>

Mythological Beast

Post by Ermingard »

Mythological Beast was the first short story by SRD that I read, it was some years ago, and I was absolutely fascinated by it. I picked it up again the other day and it still is truly fascinating and one of my favorites.
Norman was a perfectly safe, perfectly sane man. He lived with his wife and son, who were both perfectly safe, perfectly sane, in a world that was perfectly sane, perfectly safe.
The phrase "perfectly safe, perfectly sane" that runs like a mantra through the whole story sends shivers down my spine when it is contrasted against what is really happening to Norman... The total sameness of his life before the story begins and the total unpredictability of his life later in the story... I think it is extremely skillfully written.

The idea of the too safe, too sane society that has eliminated all choice for the sake of safety is one of the most frightening and disturbing ideas about the future that I have ever read.

It may be that it is so frightening because safety and saneness are concepts that generally are thought of as good, and in this story they repesent the enemy...

Anyway, Mythological Beast is one of my absolute favorite short stories, what do you think?
"It is impossible for human nature to believe that money is not there. It seems so much more likely that the money is there and only needs bawling for."
--Dorothy Sayers, Busman's Honeymoon
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I think of it as one he wrote very young. The theme is one most SRD fans will recognize from our youth: resentment against "normal" people who are enemies of those who are different and better. (Meaning us, of course. <g>)

But yes, it is well written and easy to identify with. I still laugh at the memory of the "kind yellow light" (or whatever color is in charge at the moment) which condescendingly guides the lives of every citizen. SRD gave it such a strong personality.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

I like it too. Especially the mental change that takes place at the same time as his physical and Norman think of it as absolutely normal...

kasten
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

The first time I read Mythological Beast was with my first exposure to Daughter of Regals. My first impression of the story was "What a cool Twilight Zone episode this would make." Beast was a great example of individuality vs. the dull gray monolithic future society that is depicted in many sci fi classics.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I read this for the first time today and was totally captivated by it. The scene with Dr. Brent was absolutely hilarious!
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

This would be such a kewl short-film. It was just so...weirdly interesting. Does anyone know why SRD choose a unicorn though?

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I think the unicorn symbolizes fantasy perfection. Beauty, strength and purity.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Ok. How does that relate to surpressing fear then? And the search for perfect safety and perfect sanity?

Sum sui generis
Vs

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

My answer to that would be, There is no need for fear when one is a unicorn, a perfect being. Safety and sanity are non-issues.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Thanks Joy. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

all I know is that after reading that story so many years ago, I began to wonder if the rather large and noticeable 'bump' in the middle of my forehead would ever grow in to a horn ... (sadly, it's just a reminder of the nasty head-first tumble I had when I was 11...)
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Eeek, unicorns are taking over the world.

Really, that reality was horrible. I'd change into a unicorn, if the world was like that. The last Encyclopedia was from the 70's, for Foul's sake! I liked the clothes logic.

Eurke... "Perfectly safe, perfectly sane..." :hairs:
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

SRD wrote in the DoR introduction: "Behind its simpleminded telling, 'Mythological Beast' is a quasi-sf story with a theme I happen to feel strongly about."

Considering this story comes from an author known for using enough obscure words that an unabridged dictionary needs to be kept close by for full understanding, "simpleminded telling" is surely the truth.

The similarity of the name "Norman" to the word, "normal", is probably not an accident. He fit in well with his hyper-managed society before the atavism took place.

I think the theme SRD refers to is that if we don't take chances and go outside our comfort zones and embrace new perspectives, we will miss out on some of the most beautiful experiences we can ever have in life. The adventurous unicorn was to me a majestic symbol of that.
Spoiler
Norman flashed through the doors and galloped into the road with the General Hospital raging behind him like a furnace.
He breathed the night air deep into his chest and skittered to a stop on the far side of the road to shake the sparks out of his mane. Then he turned to watch the Hospital burn.

At first he was alone in the road. The people who lived nearby did not come to watch the blaze. They were afraid of it. They did not try to help the people who escaped the flames. But then he saw a young woman come out from between the houses. She went into the road to look at the fire.

Norman pranced over to her. He reared in front of her.
She did not run away.
She had a lump on her forehead like the base of a horn or the nub of a new antler. There was a smile on her lips, as if she were looking at something beautiful.

And there was no fear in her eyes at all.
Great theme, skillfully applied!
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

What I liked best about the Norman character in this story is that he knew it was important to be a guide to others about to undergo this astonishing transformation; that he made sure he would be there for them to assure them this new growth they were to experience was worthwhile and liberating. There's a message for the reader somewhere in that, but probably I'm not clever enough to divine it.
Yet he did not leave the city. He did not leave the people who were afraid of him, though their fear gave him pangs of a loneliness he had never felt before. He was waiting for something. There was something in him that was not complete.
At first, he believed that he was simply waiting for the end of his transformation. But gradually he came to understand that his waiting was a kind of search. He was alone---and unicorns were not meant to be alone, not like this. He was searching the city to see if he could find other people like him, people who were changing.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

What I love about this story is that it has such a modest nature about it, as its style is as far as a writer can get from being pretentious--yet a reader can sense that there's an important theme underneath it all.

Also, SRD's gift for writing gripping action scenes is on disply once again, as in the following passage.
Red rage filled his heart. He charged on through the halls.

Then suddenly he came to the great room where the medicomputers lived.

Rank upon rank, they stood before him. Their displays glared evilly at him, and their voices shouted. He heard several of them shout together, "Absolute emergency! Atmospheric control, activate all nerve gas! Saturation gassing, all floors!"

They were trying to kill him. They were going to kill everybody in the Hospital.

The medicomputers were made of magnacite and plasmium. Their circuits were fireproof. But they were not proof against the power of his horn. When he attacked them, they began to burn in white fire, as incandescent as the sun.

He could hear gas hissing into the air. He took a deep breath and ran. The gas was hissing into all the corridors of the Hospital. Patients began to die. Men and women in white coats began to die. Norman began to think that he would not be able to get out of the Hospital before he had to breathe.

A moment later, the fire in the medicomputers ignited the gas. The gas burned. Oxygen tanks began to explode. Dispensaries went up into flames. The fire extinguishers could not stop the intense heat of burning magnacite and plasmium. When the cylinders of nerve gas burst, they had enough force to shatter the floors and walls.

Norman flashed through the doors and galloped into the road with the General Hospital raging behind him like a furnace.

He breathed the night air deep into his chest and skittered to a stop on the far side of the road to shake the sparks out of his mane. Then he turned to watch the Hospital burn.

At first he was alone in the road. The people who lived nearby did not come to watch the blaze. They were afraid of it. They did not try to help the people who escaped the flames.
The deep fear of anything different from the routine of their lives keeps all the neighbors by the hospital from having the simple compassion of coming out and seeing what is wrong and if anyone needs help. Quite unlike the personality that Norman has become.

That's one thing about our world today that I find heartening: no matter what traumatic event you see on the news, you will always see people risking their own lives to help others get out of harm's way.

I hope that's a part of our humanity that we never surrender for the lure of the false safety that can be found in managed conformity.

I have no idea if that's the point SRD intended to make with this charming short story, but that's what I have gotten out of it on this recent re-read.

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”