What are you listening to?

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Mountain Goats are cool :D

I've been listening to Them Crooked Vultures album. Although it starts well (after the 1st song I thought "this is gonna be great!"), the more I listen to it, the less I'm into it.

It's a shame really, but the songs are a bit ho-hum. There are some good moments, interesting guitar riffs, but didn't do much for me in the end... maybe I'll change my mind in a few more listens...

Anyway, their opening track is great!!

Make sure you listen past 2:40 - it gets awesome after that!

No-one loves me and neither do I
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Kaydene
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kaydene »

StevieG wrote:Mountain Goats are cool :D

I've been listening to Them Crooked Vultures album. Although it starts well (after the 1st song I thought "this is gonna be great!"), the more I listen to it, the less I'm into it.

It's a shame really, but the songs are a bit ho-hum. There are some good moments, interesting guitar riffs, but didn't do much for me in the end... maybe I'll change my mind in a few more listens...

Anyway, their opening track is great!!

Make sure you listen past 2:40 - it gets awesome after that!

No-one loves me and neither do I
Whew! It was good, then at 2:40, I was hooked. :) Really cool! Thanks for sharing.
"This is the room where Jezebel frescoed her eyelids with history's tragic glitter." ~Tom Robbins

Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

Keep adding new songs but going back to Diane Birch - Bible Belt
Especially
Mirror Mirror
Rewind
Fire Escape
Rise Up

And her new live cover of
What Is Love
~I was born to rock the boat. Some will sink but we will float. Grab your coat. Let's get out of here. You're my witness. I'm your Mutineer~ - Warren Zevon
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

Downloaded the Hope for Haiti Now concert CD.

Played them back to back a few times and noticed how much more energetic A Message 2010 is to the X&Y album version. It's not often I like a live version better than a studio version, but the X&Y version almost puts me to sleep. The Haiti concert version is great.

Other good songs on the album
Jennifer Hudson's Let It Be cover
Justin Timberlake surprised me with his Hallelujah cover
Dave Matthews' and Neil Young's Alone and Forsaken
Lift Me Up by Christina Aguilera
~I was born to rock the boat. Some will sink but we will float. Grab your coat. Let's get out of here. You're my witness. I'm your Mutineer~ - Warren Zevon
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Been listening to lots of Husky Rescue this week in anticipation of a gig next month. Can't wait!

Diamonds in the Sky

Without doubt, my favourite Finnish band :lol:
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Today I've been nostalging over what I'd forgotten is one of my favourite albums ever, Dinosaur Jr's "Bug"

Rubbish quality, but in a way it enhances the mayhem! (this video was my first ever xp of them :D )
Freakscene

Let It Ride

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

lots of Betles lately...

Hey Bulldog, I'm So Tired, I Me Mine, Long Long Long, Cry Baby Cry, Helter Skelter...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

Made a female bluesy singers CD for my lil sis and have been listening to that playlist.

Chivas - Kelly Clarkston
Rewind - Diane Birch
Rise Up - Diane Birch
Mirror, Mirror - Diane Birch
What is Love - Diane Birch
Arms of My Baby - Joss Stone
Bruised But Not Broken - Joss Stone
Rockferry - Duffy
Stepping Stone - Duffy
Rain on Your Parade - Duffy
Woman Left Lonely - Cat Power
Ramblin' Wo(Man) - Cat Power
Don't Explain - Cat Power
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

today I've been mainly listening to a 'learn Korean' language pack. It is driving me NUTS!

But I have to stick with it and least try to understand, even if I can't pronounce half the sounds!

Agapé
Ramen
Location: I'm so lovable, the doctors gave me a special white jacket so I can hug myself!

Post by Agapé »

Stonemaybe wrote:today I've been mainly listening to a 'learn Korean' language pack. It is driving me NUTS!

But I have to stick with it and least try to understand, even if I can't pronounce half the sounds!
:hearts:

The things we do for Love...
May your lady appreciate your efforts. :grinlove:
Light of the world, shine on me
Love is the answer
Shine on us all, set us free
Love is the answer

And when you feel afraid, love one another
When you've lost your way, love one another
When you're all alone, love one another
When you're far from home, love one another
When you're down and out, love one another
All your hopes run out, love one another
When you need a friend, love one another
When you're near the end, love one another
We got to love one another
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

spiral jacobs wrote: Too bad the rest of the CD is so boring,
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, I haven't listened to the CD-one other KoL song has been played to death an alt rock stations. I had a feeling they might go the route of Los Lonely Boys with How Far is Heaven with maybe one or two listenable songs, pity. Didn't KoL just win a Grammy? If so it must have been for Sex on Fire...who knows...like the Pro Bowl never watch it.
fall far and well Pilots!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I bought OK Go's new album recently, Of The Blue Colour Of The Sky - to be honest I'm not really getting into it, it's a pretty big departure from their usual stuff, and I can't decide if I like it.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I was driving to work this morning and on came Jeff Buckley's version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. My word! Goose bumps! Nearly 7 minutes of pure emotion...

Hallelujah
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

For the past couple of months, while stuck at long hours at my job involving my company's big move to a new location, I've been listening to all the movie soundtracks I have - just for the heck of it. But mainly, I've been repeatedly listening to the Star Wars soundtracks, for the original trilogy. Don't really care about the prequel music.

Anyway, it's the 2-CD remastered editions I've been putting on. It may seem odd, but in a way, I feel more emotionally connected to the Star Wars films through the music than in watching them. Reliving them through John Williams's scores is wonderful. Even as mp3's, the music is a great delight to listen to. (I ripped them at the highest VBR setting.)

STAR WARS: the warm, dense, "analogy" sound of the 1977 soundtrack is a lovely thing to lose myself in. It may be the oldest of the three, but it retains the most sonic impact. Vivid presence. Bursting with some of the best and most memorable movie music ever made. The Battle of Yavin extravaganza made my heart thump, like I was a kid again. I actually broke up in tears as that great moment arrived in the soaring violins - the moment when Ben's voice tells Luke to use the Force, to trust his feelings. And the Throne Room/End Title...still as powerful and stirring as ever. Music to lift an audience off to its feet, feeling good about everything.

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK: The scary part - I like this even more than the SW score. ESB may very well be my most favorite movie soundtrack ever. I've listened to the music possibly even more times than I've seen the movie. Yet it never gets old. The Battle of Hoth music is every bit as exciting as the Battle of Yavin, while also being more inventive. The Yavin music whacks you over the head - though in a good way. Whereas in the Hoth battle, John Williams introduces more varied and subtler sounds. It is really a marvel of orchestration. And then the sequence starting with Carbon Freeze/Vader's Trap/Departure of Boba Fett and ending with Hyperspace gives me all the poignant drama and heartache I could ever hope for in a movie soundtrack.

RETURN OF THE JEDI: This actually was a revelation to my ears more than the others, as I had never really sat down and listened to the whole double CD until now - naturally because Jedi had never been a favorite SW movie. But it turns out that the music, if not the movie itself, is pretty darn good. The most striking feature is the amount of dissonance I hear in the music, even more so than in Empire. Indeed, there are some seriously modernistic-sounding sections of Jedi's score that would fool you, at least momentarily, into thinking this music can't be from a Star Wars movie. So it's a bit ironic that while Jedi is the safest (read: least interesting) of the original SW movies, its music turns out to be the most daring of the bunch. That's not to say I think it's better than the other two soundtracks. But it complements the other two nicely, while having its own distinct musical identity. In my opinion, the biggest stroke of brilliance by Williams on Jedi was his re-scoring of the finale for the Special Edition: his new "Victory Celebration" music is far more emotionally satisfying than the monumentally annoying Ewok song & dance number that assaulted my ears in the original ending.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The Raconteurs, Consolers of the Lonely. Forgot how much I like these songs.

Well, okay, Rich Kid Blues isn't great. I bet Jack White wrote it.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Here's a late "hippie generation" song by Kapt. Kopter an the Twirly Birds led by former Spirit guitarist, Randy California-Things Yet to Come as part of generation U (unknown-just missed the Vietnam draft by months, post hippie--slammed in the head by Watergate) this kind of stuff gave us hope while we were abandoned...
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Listened to the 3CD expanded Fellowship of the Ring soundtrack. (I wish I owned the set; nope, it was just an mp3 download.)
I was already a fan of Howard Shore's fantastic score, but hearing it without the "distraction" of the movie really drives home how good this music is.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Talked about this song on page three of this thread-now here it is in livid color Hit Between the Eyes-Scorpions.
Last edited by danlo on Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

danlo wrote:Here's a late "hippie generation" song by Kapt. Kopter an the Twirly Birds led by former Spirit guitarist, Randy California-Things Yet to Come as part of generation U (unknown-just missed the Vietnam draft by months, post hippie--slammed in the head by Watergate) this kind of stuff gave us hope while we were abandoned...
This one didn't grab me, but you did remind me of Spirit so went and grabbed a couple of their songs, I Got A Line On You and Nature's Way.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I Got a Line is one of the greatest songs ever-very compact with very intense meaning, but as Christopher Walken so astutely says (applicable to many other bands at that time): MORE COWBELL!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I absolutely love Stonemaybe's The Horslips vid... turned on to them about the same time as Lindesfarne (1978) Run for Home is one of the most emotional and magical songs I've yet to hear!!!!

Return to “Vespers”