Greatest NFL Quarterback of all time.

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

I'd have to say Montana is probably the 'Best' QB to ever play - the one I'd go with starting a team.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

tom brady hands down
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

-Montana
-Stabler
-Unitas
-Elway
-Marino

Honorable mention to Jim McMahon.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Stabler was an offensive monster...but he was also the Favre of his generation.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Stabler was a monster who's completion percentage was untouched until very recently. Going over the games, the man's got more memorable comebacks and plays (The Ghost to the Post anyone?) than just about anyone, and he did it without all the namby-pamby quarterback protection rules they have now. Oh, and he did it while smoking like a stack and drinking like a fish.

Give Big Ben a carton of Marlboros and a case of Iron City, then let's see how well he plays.

Favre is a good quarterback, but not nearly in Stabler's league. Brady had a couple of great seasons, but with the supporting cast he had, I could put up some decent numbers. Of the two of them, Favre is the better QB.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Well...Stabler's TD% and Y/A are much better, but Brent's Completion % is better, along with TDs per season, adjusted for games, and even for a guestimate "amped" modern passing game, and Brent's Int% is far better.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote: 2. Elway - five super bowl appearances, one man show
with the first three
I don't think the Broncos had Elway when they lost to the Giants.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

I am somewhat surprised that no one mentioned Dallas' Roger Staubach (unless I missed it due to reading too quickly.) Despite being a Pittsburgh Steeler fan since the later 60's I would take him on my team anytime.
... nobody I know.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Your right, dAN, 'bout that first one in the late 70s, but Elway took 'em to three out of four in the early eightees.

I'd rank Staubach either between 8th and 11th...I'd have to take a closer look at him, Anderson, Layne, Griese and Tittle.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Elway lost SB XXI to the Giants... it was Dallas that beat them in the '70s
Unfettered One
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Unfettered One »

I think after watching Monday Night's game last week, we're looking at Brees emerging into this conversation. Not enough from him yet to be considered an all-time great, but I think he's knocking on the door.
Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience. - Albert Einstein

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

I hear him knocking...
Still peeking from behind the curtain...

Brees as a great? not even. Not yet. What?

I mean, the guy has been really good the last few years... he'll need a couple rings and a few more off the chart stat years... he doesn't belong yet.

(This from a 'I like the guy' post) just my opinion!
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Well Derek Anderson is ....ooops! sorry wrong list.
Wide Eyed Stupid
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Mr. Broken wrote:Well Derek Anderson is ....ooops! sorry wrong list.
lol....well, the best Anderson would be Ken Anderson...I'd put him about 20th all time.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

With that horrible pick six yesterday, I'd say Peyton's stock dropped a bit. His post season career is really not that stellar. And that's how I, personally, judge greatness.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Dromond wrote:With that horrible pick six yesterday, I'd say Peyton's stock dropped a bit. His post season career is really not that stellar. And that's how I, personally, judge greatness.
For me, the regular season and post season are equal. Guys like Jurgensen never made the playoffs. Despite Brady's greatness, without that defense, he might not have gotten to the SB that many times. It is a team game, but the QB is THE most important position.

And, Peyton played great other than that one play.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

I'm with Dromond, that pick, and the game as a whole, hurt his stock. Calling passing plays when Addai running well, and scoring 17 pts against average Saints D?

BTW, jacob you asked about Warner, I'm reading some highlights on wikipedia, only QB never to be shutout in his career. Wow. And 2nd Highest career passer rating, Playoffs - 102.8 (Bart Starr is first). Its to bad he didn't win a 2nd, he'd be up there easy in top 10.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

only QB never to be shutout in his career
That IS amazing.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I think Manning deserves his share of the blame, but why on Earth do the Colts insist on lying down at the end of the regular season? It doesn't work (well, it worked once).

Bad coaching/owner decisions.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I didn't know that about Warner, either...that is really impressive.

I think it will be very interesting to watch Sanchez develop...be back in 10 or so years to analyze how it's working out. :lol:

I think both Mannings work better when they're the deciders; the coaches don't turn them loose enough.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Return to “Sports”