District 9

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I saw it for the second time this weekend, and liked it even better than the first :)
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

I watched it tonight on dvd for the first time.
Thought it was a great film, with a racial undertone that could only be achieved in South Africa.

I was in Cape Town in October and we were talking about district 6 when it suddenly hit me that District 9 was based on this .....DOH.

Bloody hell, this sounds as though it should be in "the tank".

As a film, I probably won't watch this again, although I thought the young alien was quite well done, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I got the feeling that he was originally a human child infected with "the liquid" who wanted to see his home planet.

Having read no previews or had any real insight into the film prior to watching it, it didn't pan out as I had expected it to.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

Holy smokes, was this ever a great flick! Just saw it last night. Without thinking too hard about what could or could not have been done by the writers or the humans in the story re plausablility, I was throughly entertained at many levels and consider it one of the best scifi movies I have seen in at least a couple years.
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
Kalkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Kalkin »

Phantasm wrote:As a film, I probably won't watch this again, although I thought the young alien was quite well done, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I got the feeling that he was originally a human child infected with "the liquid" who wanted to see his home planet.
I understood the child to be an actual Prawn child, one who escaped the "abortions."

Great film, and it could not have been based anywhere else.

Kil, the cowboy in your quote is Turkey Creek Jack Johnson. indicted in Frank Stilwell's murder and participant in Wyatt Earp's vendetta.
"How do you say 'we're screwed' in your native tongue?" ~ John Crichton

And on the Eighth Day God created Whiskey so that the Irish would not rule the Earth
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

Kalkin wrote:Kil, the cowboy in your quote is Turkey Creek Jack Johnson. indicted in Frank Stilwell's murder and participant in Wyatt Earp's vendetta.
Yes, I know, but that was too long a name for a simple quote where it was more important to focus on Doc's response than some fellers long jawin name. ;)
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
Kalkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Kalkin »

:biggrin: I'm a history geek, no choice but to show off! The other Jack, Texas Jack Vermillion, got the better name anyway.
"How do you say 'we're screwed' in your native tongue?" ~ John Crichton

And on the Eighth Day God created Whiskey so that the Irish would not rule the Earth
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Watched this at the weekend - what a great film!

Am looking forward to reading all 6 pages of this thread...!
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Saw in the last week or so

Post by taraswizard »

Group,
This movie covers so many topics, right's and abuses of oppressed peoples, multinational corps, biotechnology abuses, and it is similar to Alien Nation. I'm not sure I'd consider it a great movie, but it's a very good movie. Prior to my seeing it I did not know it was done in a semi-documentary format.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I loved this movie, and can't wait for the 3 years later sequel. It's my opinion that the gentleman from Kentucky over-analyzes things WAY too much and that his review is looney-tunes...
fall far and well Pilots!

Return to “Flicks”