Manga list from Otaku Encyclopedia

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Manga list from Otaku Encyclopedia

Post by taraswizard »

Group,
The following message concerns a list of 'manga you can't miss' as recommended by Patrick Galbraith

In August/October Patrick Galbraith, Ph.D. student at University of Tokyo, wrote The Otaku Encyclopedia: An Insider's guide to the Subculture of Cool Japan. As an appendix to the text, Patrick has added a list of "manga you can't miss". The list is: Akira, Berserk, Cyboorg 009, Dragon Ball, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, La Blue Girl, Lone Wolf and Cub, Maison Ikkoku, Monster, Phoenix, Sailor Moon, Slam Dunk, The Rose of Versailles, The Song of the Wind and the Tree's, Tomorrow's Joe. It's to bad but I wish that Galbraith had added reasons these manga would be considered can't miss, but the list is non-annotated.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I agree that reasons would have been helpful. For instance, I can't fathom La Blue Girl being on there, so I'd be interested in the thinking behind it. I've never heard of Slam Dunk, so I'd be even more interested in the reasons for that inclusion; from just a simple mention of the title I have no idea if I'd enjoy it.

Having said that, Monster is superbness given papery form. I hear the manga of Berserk is better than the anime, in which case it's probably very good.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I read Akira years ago, but I remember it being excellent.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”