Foamfollower

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Black Asgard
Woodhelvennin

Post by Black Asgard »

I always pictured him as looking like Abraham Lincoln, except much taller, broader and muscular. Face is almost the same, though.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

mmm ... I see FF somewhat like Hagrid - tall and chunky :D
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I always pictured him just like this one:

The hair's all wrong here:
Last edited by Fist and Faith on Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Palm Lake Mustachio
Stonedownor

Post by Palm Lake Mustachio »

I was swung far to much by the fact he had a boat to the extent he resembled a younger version of this bloke . . .

:lol:
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Spoiler
We learn in Fatal Revenant that The First had her third son "later in life", that Galewrath was in turn the third son of his parents, and it can be presumed that Galewrath, having been a trainee Swordmainnir before his accident, is young by Giant standards (equivalent to 20-30 of our years). These aren't really exact clues, but they suggest a life expectancy for Giants of somewhere between 2000 and 3000 years, and that Foamfollower would be roughly the equivalent of a 30-something year old human.
Spoiler
"Galewrath" should be "Longwrath". My bad.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

(Moderator here. Let's keep spoilers for the Final Chronicles inside spoiler tags, or better yet, inside the Final Chronicles forum.)
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

wayfriend wrote:(Moderator here. Let's keep spoilers for the Final Chronicles inside spoiler tags, or better yet, inside the Final Chronicles forum.)
yes i agree.. i just found out something that i havent gotten to yet. but its my own fault for click dragging the spoiler even very slowly as to not give away anything too fast but BLAM!!!! it was right there :D
Fist and Faith wrote:I always pictured him just like this one:
The hair's all wrong here:
me too, but much less Green and the beard more like a fist than a point. :D

.. Fabio Foamfollower isnt how i pictured him either.

WOW>. i never noticed that they were supposed to be at Fouls Creche in the Fabio Foamfollower cover.. I never noticed the Towers and the entrance in the distance.. plus TC never wore Armor or a crown of any type. and he didnt have a sword either other than the Krill..and that wasnt until later.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Blackhawk wrote:but its my own fault for click dragging the spoiler even very slowly as to not give away anything too fast but BLAM!!!! it was right there :D
Ok, gosh, if you go unspoilering the spoilers you're on your own! :)
Blackhawk wrote:WOW>. i never noticed that they were supposed to be at Fouls Creche in the Fabio Foamfollower cover.. I never noticed the Towers and the entrance in the distance.. plus TC never wore Armor or a crown of any type. and he didnt have a sword either other than the Krill..and that wasnt until later.
Then there's the snow. And the horse. And wasn't FF nekkid at this point, as he lost all his garments in the Slay? And weren't they sneaking up to the Creche, rather than just standing there out in the open? And wasn't Covenant seperated from FF, thinking FF had died, until he was right below the towers? And wasn't the ocean behind the Creche, as it was at the end of a promontory? Etc. etc.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

wayfriend wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:but its my own fault for click dragging the spoiler even very slowly as to not give away anything too fast but BLAM!!!! it was right there :D
Ok, gosh, if you go unspoilering the spoilers you're on your own! :)
Blackhawk wrote:WOW>. i never noticed that they were supposed to be at Fouls Creche in the Fabio Foamfollower cover.. I never noticed the Towers and the entrance in the distance.. plus TC never wore Armor or a crown of any type. and he didnt have a sword either other than the Krill..and that wasnt until later.
Then there's the snow. And the horse. And wasn't FF nekkid at this point, as he lost all his garments in the Slay? And weren't they sneaking up to the Creche, rather than just standing there out in the open? And wasn't Covenant seperated from FF, thinking FF had died, until he was right below the towers? And wasn't the ocean behind the Creche, as it was at the end of a promontory? Etc. etc.
yep...about the only thing right in this picture is the size of FF compared to TC and the entrance to Fouls Domain itself with the towers on either side. Great Artwork, but still seems to be from a vague description rather than someone who read the actual book. It does look like there is smoke rising from where Hotash slay might be.. Not even Arguleh snow would survive that close to the Hotash Slay. I have never thoroughly examined all the covers,..well outside the ones sweet did anyway.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Replying out of general interest...

Many of the pictures refuse to load, but my first impression (before seeing Sweet's Radioactive Foamy™ or the cover where TC's clad in Prince Valiant armor) was an older, bearded version of vägimees (lit. hero-giant) Soini Kalevipoeg from Finnic mythology. His story is particularly tragic, so it's scarcely a wonder why I drew such a strong parallel between these two. Haven't hitherto harnessed a different mental image, so excuses if there'll be a blonde, very Finnish-looking Foamy sitting in the 1&2 chrons gallery at some point. :biggrin:

Is there a line somewhere in LFB/TPTP that actually specifies his hair color, omitting the gray streaks?
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Fist's pictures in this thread are causing my browser to ask for a virginia tech login...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Mine are causing the problem? Just had that happen to me, too.

Edit: Fixed mine. But Blackhawk quoted me.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Zorm wrote:but my first impression was an older, bearded version of vägimees (lit. hero-giant) Soini Kalevipoeg from Finnic mythology.
Spammity, but this remains on-topic. Dug out a roughlined sketch from beyond some months and began cleaning it up. That Kalevipoeg look is quite much branded into my imagination, impossible to remove. :lol: Needs a lot more work, but gives a basic idea nonetheless.

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

There's a part of me that's a little dubious of the helmet, chiefly because I don't remember it, but that's an absolutely excellent picture, and feels a lot like what I'd expect. Good one!
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

That's really nice, Zorm. :D
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

That's quite good, Zorm. I really like Foamfollower expression and that engraving on his pouch is all for the win. Covenant seems wrong, though. A bit too chiseled and well groomed for our Covenant.
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Thanks! :D
Holsety wrote:There's a part of me that's a little dubious of the helmet, chiefly because I don't remember it.
It's not a helmet, but a traditional East Baltic cloth cap called patalakki, which once again suffers from the lack of a proper English counterpart. You can blame those blasted associations of mine for the itch to give him one. :lol: Some examples:

I recall that only his jerkin and leggings (medieval hose?) were mentioned, so the rest could be anything from an undershirt to clunky boots someone the size of Covenant might take a nap in. If they don't mind the odor of Giantish sock juice.
shadowbinding shoe wrote:Covenant seems wrong, though. A bit too chiseled and well groomed for our Covenant.
He's still in progress. This is like the fourth version and I never seem to get him right. On the other hand, if I draw him too moth-eaten, I'll likely get half the Watch after me with pitchforks and sharks with lasers attached to their heads. :P IMHO, his face requires a certain kind of chiseled look to reflect the bitter stubbornness within. For some reason I also can never portray him with a scruffy mustache upon his upper lip; it just appears...weird. I've personally started warming up to this version here, but that of course ought to be ten years older.
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Zorm wrote:I recall that only his jerkin and leggings (medieval hose?) were mentioned, so the rest could be anything from an undershirt to clunky boots someone the size of Covenant might take a nap in. If they don't mind the odor of Giantish sock juice.
Mmhmm... Just draw him with no shirt and those rippling giantish muscles. Leave off the sock juice though!
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Ananda wrote:
Zorm wrote:I recall that only his jerkin and leggings (medieval hose?) were mentioned, so the rest could be anything from an undershirt to clunky boots someone the size of Covenant might take a nap in. If they don't mind the odor of Giantish sock juice.
Mmhmm... Just draw him with no shirt and those rippling giantish muscles. Leave off the sock juice though!
Y'know, I've been kind of spoiling to sketch that Hotash Slay scene where no scrap of clothing mars that sculpted masculinity. :P :P Don't know what the rules are on this board for (tasteful) nudity, though. In Deviantart, for instance, one has to hide anything sans garments under a mature content warning. Which seems kinda excessive from the point of view of an European, but apparently they have some sort of laws for that. As if kids over here didn't see their parents and other relatives naked all the time when they go to the sauna together. :shrug:
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

That sounds like a worthy drawing. And, oh no! Naked people! How terrible! :lol:
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And as fast as they can

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”