Rogue Trader - Registration and Discussion Thread

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Excellent interaction on the bridge, guys.

I can't help but think of this scene:

The Bounty
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I have to say, I'm very much enjoying the game. It was a shame there has not much Praetus has been able to do; as I love roleplaying drama, the game is becoming more interesting.

Now, on to the deathworld!
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Had you had net access I would have intentionally geared the situation to allow more input from Praetus. It's no problem, you made some of the more fundamental decisions, such as punching through the thinnest section of the storm's heart.

I tend to place hooks for characters without telling them 'do this, do that', as I think that's the way RP should be. There have been a few which players have missed, but that doesn't bother me either. I like to run stories which intertwine, so missed opportunities and player actions always have repercussions.
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

NPC list updated. Let me know if I have missed any. I think I have.

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Great posts, everyone! Garrius is rather annoyed.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

To say he's pissed off is an understatement. Praetus is so close to getting first hand experience of a warp storm its not funny :P

I'm loving this exchange. Its doing good for setting the characters places in the minds of the crew me thinks.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Also I fear I have been watching too much Generation Kill, cause Garrius is acting more and more like Godfather from the show. He even directly quoted him.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Dorian wrote:Also I fear I have been watching too much Generation Kill, cause Garrius is acting more and more like Godfather from the show. He even directly quoted him.
Haha. That's cool. I quoted From Beyond via Du Preste.

The exchange has been excellent, and really fun to follow.

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Im really gutted I have to work tonight. I would much rather sit here posting all night
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Question

On board, what would the primary defense be against a psycher? Im just deciding whats the best way to respond to the wych problem.

Part of me thinks that arms and a priest would no doubt be dispatched, perhaps with another psycher like a high rank astropath. Im tempted to send garrius, but im unsure if that really fits in all honesty
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

If it helps, Zarkov is in the mood for a purge, and it was his intention to go down to the lower decks and cleanse the wych ever since the news was broken. It was his intention to bring Drak Kung and a large detachment of armsmen, as well as members of the Ecclesiarchy. His intention would have been made clear in a post had Du Preste not begun to argue and set him on the wrong foot (the moment is currently not right). As far as I know the ship only has one Astropath trancendent, Sterr, but there must be a few other psykers?
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Dorian wrote:Question

On board, what would the primary defense be against a psycher? Im just deciding whats the best way to respond to the wych problem.

Part of me thinks that arms and a priest would no doubt be dispatched, perhaps with another psycher like a high rank astropath. Im tempted to send garrius, but im unsure if that really fits in all honesty
The primary defence against a Psyker is zeal!

Anyway, other Psykers would be very beneficial. Sending Praetus would be a good idea, as he has the ability to use his third eye as a rather powerful weapon, psychically.

Otherwise, armsmen and strong leadership would be the best response. Sending Drak-Kung would be best, but it would also be very prudent to send either Garrius or Zarkov, to lend a strong Command bonus (with Garrius being the best option there, pragmatically). Members of the Ecclesiarchy would also be good backup, as they are usually more mentally stalwart than most.

Keep in mind that people on the bridge and elsewhere fill 'essential' functions, and you can only deplete a certain number without suffering penalties to operations. This is why the game is best setup for the PCs to be the main response to problems like these. Certainly, you could throw a few hundred armsmen at a problem and solve it relatively easily, but that would mean there would be a few hundred armsmen missing from other duties, like security and damage-control.
Stone Magnet wrote:If it helps, Zarkov is in the mood for a purge, and it was his intention to go down to the lower decks and cleanse the wych ever since the news was broken. It was his intention to bring Drak Kung and a large detachment of armsmen, as well as members of the Ecclesiarchy. His intention would have been made clear in a post had Du Preste not begun to argue and set him on the wrong foot (the moment is currently not right). As far as I know the ship only has one Astropath trancendent, Sterr, but there must be a few other psykers?
Zarkov would be a good choice to head down to find the wych if Garrius doesn't wish to go himself (keep in mind that Zarkov is currently steering the vessel and would need to get another helmsman to relieve him).

Also, Sterr is the head Atsropath. He has a number of other Astropaths with him to form a small choir, I just haven't felt the pressing need to detail them as yet.

There is also the option of requesting the aid of the Alid-Yuril Consortium. See their NPC details - they also have their own Astropath. Personally, I'd rather go in with a Navigator, if the aim is to purge rogue psykers.

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

apologies to all for my absence.....i've had very spotty internet access recently. I'm figuring a rationale for IC right now...
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Drak-Kung wrote:apologies to all for my absence.....i've had very spotty internet access recently. I'm figuring a rationale for IC right now...
You could easily explain it as Drak-Kung not being able to do much, owing to the storm. He couldn't very well lead teams of men in the depths of the ship while the tempest was throwing evryone about.

Although it would probably be best to wait for Garrius's orders before heading off on your own to fight a Psyker and their companions.

Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

Good to have you back. Ok, so Drak-Kung is now heading from the bridge to the lower decks, just to clear that up?

EDIT...just saw Montresor's post^. I agree. The Lord-Captain now has internet access (though far from speedy) so should be able to enlighten us in due course...
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

I'd say ordinarily there would be nothing wrong with Drak-Kung shooting off to solve problems without waiting for anyone's say-so; he is the head of security, after all. In this case, though, as Garrius would be obviously about to respond, it would be usual form for characters to wait for that. But, since I don't want to slow anyone down, we could always assume that he heads off when Garrius makes a decision.

And, yeah, it's great to have you back.

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Garrius has decided. Montresor, Make it so.

Picard for the win
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

It is done.

I'll leave the update off for another day, just to give players time to respond, should they want to. Drak-Kung's general tactical plan would be best.

Otherwise, tomorrow night, I'll work under the assumption that everyone proceeds to where they think the wych & co are.

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

OK, I'll be making some assumptions in my post...if they are incorrect, lemme know so I can fix it.

*huge grin* this is going to be so FUN!
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Drak-Kung wrote:OK, I'll be making some assumptions in my post...if they are incorrect, lemme know so I can fix it.

*huge grin* this is going to be so FUN!
Good, that's exactly what I needed :)

I'll reply to all posts tonight and we'll let the fun begin.

Return to “Rogue Trader”