DVDs and YOU!

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Death Sentence with kevin bacon - a lot better than expected.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Just grabbed the first three Alien movies (they were in a pack). I don't care for the third, but the first two are excellent :)
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Chrysalis
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Chrysalis »

Just picked up the second live stand up dvd by Michael McIntyre. Very amusing.

Here is a clip of his Royal Variety Performance:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4xxqVzlSeE

In the Christmas theme and talking about a 'man draw'...
"-People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes."
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I just purchased District 9 and Henry V (Branagh) on dvd.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

CovenantJr wrote:Pale Rider. Next: The Outlaw Josey Wales.
God I love those two movies.......
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Henry V-killer!
fall far and well Pilots!
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

So I got Godfather II from Netflix a few days ago, and finally got around to watching it last night.

Having really enjoyed the scope & feel of the first movie, I expected something similar in the second. While the scheming was there, though, it didn't really have the same feel (understandable; a large part of the movie takes place in Nevada and Cuba, rather than in NYC, so of course it's going to feel a bit different).

Even so, I felt the ending lacked the emotional punch of the first one. After all, one of the best moments in the first film was that point after Michael has his brother-in-law killed, and his lieutenants are reporting to him, and you hear him called "Don Corleone" for the first time.

Vito taking Sonny on his knee, and saying "Your father loves you, Sonny, very much," was thematically a similar scene, it was lacking something that I can't put my finger on...

...then I realized that there was a whole second disc, and that I hadn't actually finished the movie yet!

I'll watch the rest of it tonight :)
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

OK, I just finished the second half, and it was much better than the first. Though I still didn't like it as much as the first movie.

Somehow, it seems to lose the majesty of the first film, and replace it with tragedy. Still a very powerful film, though.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Tragic, it certainly is. I don't know if spoilers are necessary (being an old film and all but just in case), but I can't think of anything more tragic than
Spoiler
killing your own brother
- especially in the circumstances.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Picked up Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition on blu-ray for $20. Regular price: $45.
Happy happy happy!

:banana: <-- close encounter of the banana kind
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Awesome. Where did you get it for $20?

I have a wonderful memory of staying at a campground opening weekend near the base of the Devil's Tower, and they had an outside movie of...you guessed it. It was cool to watch the movie and be able to look over and see the real thing. But I'm a dork for the movie.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Now that is a seriously awesome story, Cag. 8) That makes you part of a very select club, indeed.
Needless to say, wish I'd been there.

I got the movie at Best Buy. (It was the only copy left, too.)
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Just picked up Surrogates. I hadn't seen it in the theater (like many people according to the box office numbers). Better than I had expected. Not fantastic but decent.

Going to get Zombieland sometime this week.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Re: DVDs and YOU!

Post by Blackhawk »

Lord Foul wrote:Just wondering what DVDs you guys watch . . .

Oh yeah, someone in my family, as a graduation present, bought me The Godfather DVD box set. I still haven't gotten around to watching it, because I don't care for shoot-'em-up pictures.
I have a DVD collection going on 1400 dvds.. so many in fact that i have to start putting them into DVD wallets rather than keeping them in the original Case. Im only keeping my favorites and the classics in their cases.

the Godfather is one of my favorite sets well. excluding part 3 even though i still enjoyed it.

I also of course have the Alien Box set, Star Wars colletion,Terminator, Robocop, the Rocky collection and also the First blood set. every old school disney cartoon, snow white, cinderella,etc..one of my favorites as a kid Robin Hood. The Matrix collection, I could go on and on but those are the first to come to mind.

Its been 10 - 12 years of collecting dvds or more.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

That's a fairly stupefying number of DVDs, Blackhawk. 8O

I've put mine in binders. I'm not very sentimental about DVD cases, but I am about ones for CD's.

Over the years I have only been a sporadic buyer, so I never accumulated a great number. Now is a great time to get DVDs, as many are dirt cheap, but I've basically given up DVDs in favor of blu-ray. Curse you, blu-ray, for making me fork out more money!

If and when I re-acquire all my favorites on blu-ray, much of my DVD collection will be worthless to me. (Here again, I'm not sentimental about DVDs yet I am about CDs - I'm not letting go of my CDs unless I absolutely have to.) Off the top of my head, the only DVD set that will remain truly valuable to me is Carl Sagan's Cosmos TV series. I just don't see it being reissued on blu-ray any time soon, if ever. There would almost be no point. I love the Matrix box set, the original Star Wars trilogy set, and the LOTR set(s). But again, once those films arrive on blu-ray (I already have the Matrix), I'll have no use for the DVDs.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

matrixman wrote:That's a fairly stupefying number of DVDs, Blackhawk. 8O

I've put mine in binders. I'm not very sentimental about DVD cases, but I am about ones for CD's.

Over the years I have only been a sporadic buyer, so I never accumulated a great number. Now is a great time to get DVDs, as many are dirt cheap, but I've basically given up DVDs in favor of blu-ray. Curse you, blu-ray, for making me fork out more money!

If and when I re-acquire all my favorites on blu-ray, much of my DVD collection will be worthless to me. (Here again, I'm not sentimental about DVDs yet I am about CDs - I'm not letting go of my CDs unless I absolutely have to.) Off the top of my head, the only DVD set that will remain truly valuable to me is Carl Sagan's Cosmos TV series. I just don't see it being reissued on blu-ray any time soon, if ever. There would almost be no point. I love the Matrix box set, the original Star Wars trilogy set, and the LOTR set(s). But again, once those films arrive on blu-ray (I already have the Matrix), I'll have no use for the DVDs.
yeah..DVD is fading out for bluray, i was bumbed at first but then i got a DVD upconverter.. I think bluray players do the same thing but it upconverted my dvds 1080p and they look better than Ever!! though still not bluray quality. I will only upgrade the favorites of my collection to bluray once i get a bluray player. for now im happy with the upconverter.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Well, in that regard it sucks for me, because I have an early generation HDTV that doesn't have HDMI. It has only component video, which supports 1080i, so I can enjoy blu-ray, but doesn't support up-conversion, so I can't watch my DVDs even in "fake" high def. But, hey, it's not the end of the world. I just watch my DVDs less than I used to, heh. Even on old school analog component video, high def movies look fabulous.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

matrixman wrote:Well, in that regard it sucks for me, because I have an early generation HDTV that doesn't have HDMI. It has only component video, which supports 1080i, so I can enjoy blu-ray, but doesn't support up-conversion, so I can't watch my DVDs even in "fake" high def. But, hey, it's not the end of the world. I just watch my DVDs less than I used to, heh. Even on old school analog component video, high def movies look fabulous.
I have an older cable box that doesnt support HDMI so all my HD showtime hbo etc are through component and it looks great, I think the only thing is that during hi speed and scenes and with alot of Fire it pixelates a bit. When i first viewed my DVDs on my new LCD I was less than pleased, the color was great, but they actually looked better on my Tube Television until the upconverter... My Wife is insisting that i get a PS3 for my BDay so we can have bluray as well as a nice gaming console but I really dont play my PS2 anymore due to my new computer plays both new PC and MAC Video games, so other than the bluray i think that would be a waste of money..might as well get a bluray player for much less money, but i cant argue with my wife if she insists ;)
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I wouldn't argue either! :wink:

The PS3 was certainly costly when it first came out. I opted for a standalone blu-ray player because, like you, I hadn't been much of a console gamer and so couldn't justify the expense of a PS3 just to watch movies. But the PS3 has dropped a lot in price, hasn't it? I've seen the new slimmer model advertised for $300 here - still not cheap, but now competitive with medium high-end blu-ray decks, while still delivering possibly the best high def picture of any machine out there - at least according to reviews I've read. I'm guessing you'd have to spend much, much more to get better blu-ray quality than from a PS3, and then the improvement would be subtle at best.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

matrixman wrote:I wouldn't argue either! :wink:

The PS3 was certainly costly when it first came out. I opted for a standalone blu-ray player because, like you, I hadn't been much of a console gamer and so couldn't justify the expense of a PS3 just to watch movies. But the PS3 has dropped a lot in price, hasn't it? I've seen the new slimmer model advertised for $300 here - still not cheap, but now competitive with medium high-end blu-ray decks, while still delivering possibly the best high def picture of any machine out there - at least according to reviews I've read. I'm guessing you'd have to spend much, much more to get better blu-ray quality than from a PS3, and then the improvement would be subtle at best.
good Point... Im hoping for PS3 to drop even further in price once bluray gets a better foothold. I think most Bluray players have upconversion too. at least thats what i heard, I love the feature on my DVD upconvert that lets me plug a usb flash drive into it and play almost everything but HD mkv files so far. when i rented a movie I converted it to Xvid to see how it worked and I can get the same quality Xvid movie at about 1gb compared to an 8gb dual layer dvd, I told my wife soon we wont even be watching movies from a disk but a flash drive, and I didnt think that day would be here so soon. I have a flash drive that is 1/4 inch wide by 1 inch long and about 2mm thick, only cost 10.99 for 4gb... and i can fit 4 of my converted high quality movies on it.. alot of effort for my computer as far as conversion goes, it takes about 20 minutes, but the cost of Flash drives now is less than a bluray movie, and blueray due to it requiring a machine with moving parts that can and do quite often break from constant motion of course means no moving parts equals alot longer life for most machines. pretty much like cd players became dinosaurs when the Mp3 players with no moving parts took over. when i was listening to my Audio books through CDs I went through literally at least 3 CD players a year from my moving around alot and with my new ..well old now mp3 player im still on my first one after almost 3 years.

Return to “Flicks”