Final Fantasy XIII

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Final Fantasy XIII

Post by Queeaqueg »

I only got this game at weekend and played the first mission n i dont have a scooby whats going on soo much going on in such small space lol graphics are awesome though.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Beorn's expressed interest in this, so I'm looking forward to y'all's reviews.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I haven't played a FF game since 8, and that came out in... what, 2000?

From what I can tell, all the new ones just went emo & lame... let me know if this is better, I have fond memories of the early ones.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

I agree with what someone said about FFXIII in the Dragon Age thread, the game is a mess. The beauty of Final Fantasy 7 and 10 was that the story was easy to follow and it was good plus the battle system n that was easy and the characters progressed well.
Final Fantasy 13 has made the story somewhat chaotic and annoying to follow to the point where you don't care what happens next. The system is a weird mix of Sphere grid n don't know lol but its not fun.
Very disappointed in this game but big title follow-ons such as MGS4 and Res Evil 5 were good but this.... not a fan :(

Maybe its time they ditched the FF series while its still strong
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Queeaqueg wrote:The beauty of Final Fantasy 7 ... was that the story was easy to follow
Really? Final Fantasy 7? I played through it three times and I still had to look up a plot synopsis.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

CovenantJr wrote:
Queeaqueg wrote:The beauty of Final Fantasy 7 ... was that the story was easy to follow
Really? Final Fantasy 7? I played through it three times and I still had to look up a plot synopsis.
Same.
FF8 was my favorite, but that's a whole other can of worms.

What sort of special powers does 13 have?
I hated the quickening...too easy to destroy everything...
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

balon! wrote: FF8 was my favorite, but that's a whole other can of worms.
I thought the first disc of 8 was great (ends with your first encounter with the Witch); especially the lead up to the boss fight had some great moments in it.

Unfortunately, the rest of the game blew chunks.

3 (6) is still my favorite, for the tongue-in-cheek humour :)

"Do you think a little thing like the end of the world could stop me?" :) :) :)
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Rigel wrote:
balon! wrote: FF8 was my favorite, but that's a whole other can of worms.
I thought the first disc of 8 was great (ends with your first encounter with the Witch); especially the lead up to the boss fight had some great moments in it.

Unfortunately, the rest of the game blew chunks.

3 (6) is still my favorite, for the tongue-in-cheek humour :)

"Do you think a little thing like the end of the world could stop me?" :) :) :)
Hmm. I thought discs 2-3 were ok as far as story goes. Admittedly the squall/rinoa romance was pretty boring, but (disc 3 spoilers)
Spoiler
seeing laguna as the president of Esthar was totally badass.
One thing I liked about FF8 is that it had a lot of sidequests that didn't give very good rewards, but had a fair amount of backstory/world info/etc. The best of these that comes to mind is the FH sidequest involving the master fisherman, which is unfortunately almost certain to be missed without a walkthrough (I missed it my first time through). Here we discover that the pacifist mayor dobe was originally an engineer (maybe the lead engineer?) in the construction of esthar. The game has some of the best city designs in the FF series IMO, which is significant (if true) when compared to FFs VII-XII (and I assume XIII as well though I haven't played it).

But ya, all the above being said, VI is my favorite.

EDIT-Thanks covjr
Last edited by Holsety on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

You might want to sort out that spoiler tag...
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Queeaqueg wrote:
The beauty of Final Fantasy 7 ... was that the story was easy to follow

Deeper parts you need to look up like origins of Jevona and teh Ancients but mostly the game is easy enough to understand. At least the beginning it simple unlike FFXIII where nothing makes much sense.

FF8 was good but the junctioning system was really annoying and you found yourself using the GFs all teh time.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Queeaqueg wrote:
Queeaqueg wrote:
The beauty of Final Fantasy 7 ... was that the story was easy to follow

Seriously? By the time you get to Timber, I'd say trying to do damage by summoning GF is a huge waste of time (unless the enemies are so weak that normal attacks will kill them anyway). The limit system is easy to abuse in this game since it doesn't require any guage build up, only for the character to have low HP.

The only time I'd ever suggest GF spamming is against Ifrit, elnoyle (tho double + magic is much quicker), X-ATM20, and the 4 enemies you fight as a boss battle with quistis in the training center. (name escapes me) Past that point, normal attacks are usually going to be doing a lot more damage, especially if you nab weapon upgrades occasionally.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Haven't played XIII, but Lightning sure does have a set of legs on her. That is all.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Lord Foul wrote:Haven't played XIII, but Lightning sure does have a set of legs on her. That is all.
Duly noted.

OM-Dejavu-G, it's just like this conversation I had a few days ago!
(I'm Severian)
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Misato does have some long legs. Japanese anime and video games seems to have a fixation with that, as far as heroines go (plus skin-tight short shorts).

But I digress; back on topic: Lightning has some nice knees, too! And her skin color was well-researched. It's just the right tone of "dripping sex". No wonder it's so prominent on the box art.

Ahem... Right. I'll get a PS3 one day and contribute to this thread legitimately.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Holsety wrote:Seriously? By the time you get to Timber, I'd say trying to do damage by summoning GF is a huge waste of time (unless the enemies are so weak that normal attacks will kill them anyway).
True, but the first time I played it I kept spamming GFs because I hadn't figured out how to use the Junction system well.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

CovenantJr wrote:
Holsety wrote:Seriously? By the time you get to Timber, I'd say trying to do damage by summoning GF is a huge waste of time (unless the enemies are so weak that normal attacks will kill them anyway).
True, but the first time I played it I kept spamming GFs because I hadn't figured out how to use the Junction system well.
That's legit. I didn't spam GF much (in fact I didn't even GF spam X-ATM because I didn't know you could kill it) but a lot of people did.

The only thing is, I don't get why people had trouble with the junction system even though they seem to do well with a lot of other systems that IMO are more complex. Maybe it's because the game never really talks about junctioning to stats outside of tutorials while GFs are a kind of central plot point (so you feel like they're a much more major part of the game).
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Lord Foul wrote:Misato does have some long legs. Japanese anime and video games seems to have a fixation with that, as far as heroines go (plus skin-tight short shorts).
My only real problem is that anime fans seem to not go for the leggy types, or even the older (and more attractive!) types. I know this is proof of nothing solid, but if you google "asuka langley" you get 214,000 results and if you google "rei ayanami" you get 324,000 while "misato katsuragi" gets you 43,000. (disparity between first names only is even wider, rei obviously has a hugely larger pool since it's so much more generic.) And I've found that the asuka and rei fans are always at each others throats.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Lord Foul wrote:Misato does have some long legs. Japanese anime and video games seems to have a fixation with that
I seem to have a fixation with long legs, too ;)

Re: Junctioning in VIII. I never had a problem using it; my major beef with it was that it discouraged you from using Magic, since using your supply of magic meant your junctioned stats would now be lower.

In fact, I think I beat the game without ever using magic once after I learned how it works.
kanes_son
Servant of the Land

Post by kanes_son »

After Final Fantasy 7, FF8 was too easy! I did enjoy the quests for the missing GF's though and although I've played it through a few times, there are still side quests I need to do.

8 is my second favourite after 10, 7 is third
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I loved VII and X, and really enjoyed XII (although apparently many didn't), but the one I re-play most often is IX.

Gooooooooooo Vivi! :D
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.

Return to “PC & Console Games”