Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
Krinn
Stonedownor

Post by Krinn »

Menolly wrote:...grumble...
I do try to mix them up a bit...
I'm gonna have to call shenanigans on that one.
Follower of Azver, friend to all in Twinsriver, and person who can get stuff done.
Nyx
Ramen

Post by Nyx »

Autarch, so, within reason are we allowed to unilaterally invent depth and flavor to the city? Could I write stuff discussing the patrons of some shanty bar on the waterfront? Could Menolly start describing the lives of one of the outlying villages? Assume we don't do anything earthshattering as far as city-wide plot, are we okay to just write / post without clearing it by you?

Also, in line with that... since Acropolis kind of assumes that there were no gods before us, there's a whole religious facet to this culture that's missing. We can't refer to the pre-existing holy days and festivals and whatnot, nor the epic stories of this or that from back in the age of myths (perhaps we ARE in the age of myths).

In fact, I'm a little interested in what a purely athiestic society would look like, if it encountered deities before having hit some kind of age of reason. People's lives would be filled with their work, maybe with leisure activities or hobbies, but at this technology level, so much of their time would be spent on food gathering that there wouldn't be much time for anything else. They'd also not get to SAVE a whole lot... retirement would be about the same as death.

I can't imagine that would be a very colorful life worthy of recounting. Though, from the other point of view... now that they do have deities, it opens up a whole new range of options for cultural and artistic growth.
To seek the breast of darkness and be suckled by the night.
Virelai
Ramen

Post by Virelai »

Nyx wrote:Though, from the other point of view... now that they do have deities, it opens up a whole new range of options for cultural and artistic growth.
Image :biggrin: Image :biggrin: Image

I'm working on it. ;)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Autarch, so, within reason are we allowed to unilaterally invent depth and flavor to the city? Could I write stuff discussing the patrons of some shanty bar on the waterfront? Could Menolly start describing the lives of one of the outlying villages? Assume we don't do anything earthshattering as far as city-wide plot, are we okay to just write / post without clearing it by you?
Yep. The only downside is that unless it eventually makes it into the regular turn submission mechanics, it's not... as real, I guess?... as the stuff you submit. And while I read everything and have a pretty good eye for that kind of thing, I can't be held responsible for continuity errors (though I have no problems editing if something is pointed out to me).
Also, in line with that... since Acropolis kind of assumes that there were no gods before us, there's a whole religious facet to this culture that's missing.
It does? Or do I just not presume to lay it out for you? That's only one of the questions that I'm surprised nobody has asked me (I think). Not that I'd give any answers.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Nyx
Ramen

Post by Nyx »

Perhaps I just assumed. So, regardless of if any previous gods ACTUALLY exist(ed), are there histories or legends of gods in or around Acropolis? I guess the fact that demigods and heros could have divine ancestry sort of implies previous generations of divinity.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Results are out. Let me know if there are any problems. Deadline will be midnight of May 2 (two full weekends to work on it), supporting stories to be posted on May 3.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Nyx wrote:... are there histories or legends of gods in or around Acropolis?
Are there? I don't have any. Well, maybe one... ;)
-George Steiner
Nyx
Ramen

Post by Nyx »

Syl wrote:
Nyx wrote:... are there histories or legends of gods in or around Acropolis?
Are there? I don't have any. Well, maybe one... ;)
Fine. I'll make it a statement instead of a question: "I will write some fluffy backstory for Acropolis, that involves some kind of previous theology. If you wish me not to do this, I would appreciate it if you said so before I spent the time to write it."
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

That's fine. Just remember, your version may be only that. Another god could tell a completely different story, and neither would be more correct than the other.

Hmm. Let's make it official. Check the contest thread in a minute.
-George Steiner
Virelai
Ramen

Post by Virelai »

All I'll say regarding my results, and the Tales thread is...

*wince*

I have my work cut out for me.
But at least the History thread won't be deleted each turn anymore.
I am glad something beneficial resulted from my efforts this turn...
Cryak
Giantfriend

Post by Cryak »

woohoo!
:biggrin:
From a single Acorn, a mighty Oak
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

*doing a double take*

I read Virelai's results.
Including the last line.
It...still didn't register until I looked at the stats...
VIRELAI
Domain: Music
Lesser Domain: Writing
Really?
Ooo, the possibilities for a deity of the Muses...
I just wish I was better qualified to represent it!!
Between this and Xar's insistence on stories in my turns...

*off to read the rules again regarding playing more than one domain*

Thank you Autarch!!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I had one of those 500 server errors, which prevents a new post from showing on the main Index for the Watch, as I posted Virelai's latest tale. I just wanted to point out it was posted, in case any are interested...
Virelai
Ramen

Post by Virelai »

I can't recall if quoting directly from our results in the Forum is considered forbidden non-literal posting or not. If so, I have no problem with the post being edited, Autarch.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

At any rate, I'm glad something seems to have come out of the Sunset Sermons.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*soft smile*
tis truly an awesome idea, IMO.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I will allow quotes from results, but just do it with the simple quote tags (otherwise, the grammar is wrong, and I just can't allow that).

Everything else, including gestures, bows, etc, should be done in a way that would make sense if you were reading it in a book. No *emote*s. If you include both dialogue and description, use quotation marks to set off your dialogue.
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Syl wrote:I will allow quotes from results, but just do it with the simple quote tags (otherwise, the grammar is wrong, and I just can't allow that).

Everything else, including gestures, bows, etc, should be done in a way that would make sense if you were reading it in a book. No *emote*s. If you include both dialogue and description, use quotation marks to set off your dialogue.
Thank you.
I will try to remember that.

Now, to back up a bit...
Syl wrote:
Nyx wrote:
Syl wrote:Posts that serve no purpose other than advancing the same interests you are pursuing in your submission do not count. Elaborating upon them would. Adding depth and nuance to the blank canvas that is the Acropolis, a city waiting to be filled by your words, would count. Sharing thoughts and ideas, giving other players ideas to work off of, giving rise to even more of your own - that would count.
Yep. The only downside is that unless it eventually makes it into the regular turn submission mechanics, it's not... as real, I guess?... as the stuff you submit. And while I read everything and have a pretty good eye for that kind of thing, I can't be held responsible for continuity errors (though I have no problems editing if something is pointed out to me).
Also, in line with that... since Acropolis kind of assumes that there were no gods before us, there's a whole religious facet to this culture that's missing.
It does? Or do I just not presume to lay it out for you? That's only one of the questions that I'm surprised nobody has asked me (I think). Not that I'd give any answers.
*wheels turning*

OK, so while what I am considering doing would probably be seen as pursuing what I am already doing in submission, and hence won't count, I am considering going Purgatory and having a pretty much public storyline/turn going. I have basically clamped down on doing anything like this since cho's casting of the Song in Pantheon, but what the heck.

Yes, I'm going to be totally open to all sorts of interference.
But perhaps it will help spur more interaction and activity here...
...now to try to really organize my thoughts.

mmm...
Perhaps a separate thread along the line of Erd's stories in Aesir, so as not to interrupt the normal flow of the game and risk anyone elses ire.
...particularly The Autarch's...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

As you all put your heads together to form a plan of action (just to make it clear, the barbarian horde should be considered beyond your direct control without using DSP), I should let you know that many of you have pieces to what can be considered a puzzle. I have also just buried another piece somewhere in the game. If my reference is picked up and your response matches it, I will likely reward those that participate.

Other ways of dealing with the problem, however, are just as likely to succeed.
-George Steiner

Return to “Acropolis 1.0”