Tears in my eyes..

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

crusader
Servant of the Land

Tears in my eyes..

Post by crusader »

From The Wounded Land, p234

"Covenant saw them. Pale silver as if they were made of moonshine, though the moon had no such light, they stood before him. Caer-Caveral's streaming argence illuminated them as if they had been created out of Forestal-fire.
Covenant's friends."

No matter how many times I read this, and even though I know its coming, this small episode, and their meeting that follows, genuinely brings tears to my eyes. (Jeez - I'm even going dewy-eyed as I'm writing this right now!)

I have no idea why it affects me in such a way. I suppose its like that rare piece of music that reaches in to the very core of oneself and triggers an emotional reaction, or maybe its an assimilation of how I expect my own feelings would affect me were I ever to be in a similar position in this life (I do believe in life after death, BTW). Whatever it is, its a simple, but oh-so powerful piece of literary genius - and I love it!

Anybody else have a 'favourite' such as this?
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Prolly when Elena kisses Covenant in the waters of Glimmermere. Just a very touching, exciting scene. Until you realize it's his daughter.

Elena is how I like my Land women--crazy and empowered. Linden could learn a lot, cause she's, like, weepy and indecisive.
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

The stuff about Linden and Covenant's souls (his mirroring Andelain and the true night, hers sick with Vile darkness) at the climax of White Gold Wielder. Probably others, but that one's stuck with me the most this last half-year.
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

The Wounded Land, Chapter 26 "Coercri":

"Start a fire. A big one".....
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

My thread 'Pitchwife and deep things'
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

There are so many parts in the Chrons that have me 'filling up' I don't know where to begin, but perhaps the bit where Sunder eats Aliantha in TWL, or where in the same book Honinscrave meets the Harauchi in the Sarangrave, or where Brin clasps Covenants arm through the bars - damn it I'm on the verge just thinking about it! :cry: :cry: :oops:
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Lord Foul wrote:Prolly when Elena kisses Covenant in the waters of Glimmermere. Just a very touching, exciting scene. Until you realize it's his daughter.

Elena is how I like my Land women--crazy and empowered. Linden could learn a lot, cause she's, like, weepy and indecisive.
Yeah. I need to revisit some Elena threads.
There are some good ones talking about her character.
She's a total nutjob.
And that's hot.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

peter wrote:There are so many parts in the Chrons that have me 'filling up' I don't know where to begin, but perhaps the bit where Sunder eats Aliantha in TWL, or where in the same book Honinscrave meets the Harauchi in the Sarangrave, or where Brin clasps Covenants arm through the bars - damn it I'm on the verge just thinking about it! :cry: :cry: :oops:

those are all excellent parts of the story.. another of mine are when Covenant gives Caamora to the unhomed. and also when Nassic is calling covenant by his land names, unsure if he is the white gold weilder and says.. "Illender Prover of life??" and TC says "YES" and the end where Vain tells Findail.."you will not die, it is not death.. it is purpoose."

Another great moment was at the end of TC and Noms Battle when TC let him live and the Sandgorgon Bowed to him.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Can I mention portions of the Last Chronicles in this subforum?
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

If you really want to discuss events in the Final Chronicles, you should put it in spoiler tags. But it's better to find a Final Chronicles thread, or start one, when it's practical to do so.

That being said,
Spoiler
I thought the Final C's lacked "tears in my eyes" moments altogether; I'd be curious to see where others found some.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

wayfriend wrote:
That being said,
Spoiler
I thought the Final C's lacked "tears in my eyes" moments altogether; I'd be curious to see where others found some.
Spoiler
Linden being the main character.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Not exactly tears in my eyes, but two moving scenes come to mind:

* Sunder grieving for Hollian in WGW, and especially the scene where he attempts to feed her corpse aliantha;

* the scene with the jheherrin, Foamfollower and Covenant in TPTP.
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

When TC and the Search return to the Land and finally meet up again with Sunder and Hollian and have to admit to them that they have failed, there is an incredibly passionate and moving speech by Sunder to TC, where all sorts of emotions come to the surface: fear, inadequacy, guilt, hope, hopelesseness.... it really is incredibly well done, including the following (thanks to Earthblood for drawing my attention to it):
"When first you persuaded me from my home and duty in Mithil Stonedown," he said thickly, "I demanded of you that you should not betray me. You impelled me on a mad search of the desert sun for my friend Marid, whom you could not save - and you refused me the use of my blood to aid you - and you required of me that I eat aliantha which I knew to be poison - and so I beseeched of you something greater than fidelity. I pleaded of you meaning for my life - and for the death of Nassic my father. And still you were not done, for you wrested Hollian Amith-daughter from her peril in Crystal Stonedown as if it were your desire that I should love her. And when we fell together into the hands of the Clave, you redeemed us from that hold, restored our lives.

And still you were not done. When you had taught us to behold the Clave's evil, you turned your back on that crime, though it cried out for retrubution in the face of all the Land. There you betrayed me, ur-Lord. The meaning of which I was in such need you set aside. In its place, you gave me only a task that surpassed my strength."

But Sunder was still not done. "Therefore," he went on hoarsely, "it is my right that you should hear me. Ur-Lord and Unbeliever, white gold wielder," he said as if he were addressing the hot streaks that stained Covenant's face, "you have betrayed me - and I am glad that you have come. Though you come without hope, you are the one hope that I have known. You have it in your hands to create or deny whatever truth you will, and I desire to serve you. While you remain, I will accept neither despair nor doom. There is neither betrayal nor failure while you endure to me. And if the truth you teach must be lost at last, I will be consoled that my love and I were not asked to bear that loss alone.

"Covenant, hear me," he insisted. "No words suffice. I am glad that you have come."
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

How is it that the same bits do it for all of us; Barnetto's and Blackhawk's and DrPaul's - they're all there for me. How does this kind of magic happen? (I guess Foamfollower would have haqd the right response -"Joy is in the ears that hear".) :lol: :lol: :D
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

wayfriend wrote:That being said,
Spoiler
Really? What about when
Spoiler
Covenant reaches Linden through Anele for the first time?
And your own sig, WF. That's a pretty touching moment (tho not for THOOLAHns, I grant you).

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Horizonscan
Servant of the Land

Post by Horizonscan »

peter wrote:How is it that the same bits do it for all of us; Barnetto's and Blackhawk's and DrPaul's - they're all there for me. How does this kind of magic happen? (I guess Foamfollower would have haqd the right response -"Joy is in the ears that hear".) :lol: :lol: :D
I don't know but they're all on my favourite moments list too. Maybe a particularly fabulous piece of writing just has the same effect on all of us.

I'd like to add another I don't think has been mentioned yet: not precisely a moment but the song quoted right at the end of WGW (Pitchwife's I think; really need to reread here!). That will echo sadly round my head for weeks after reading it. :(
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

There are so many great touching moments. In addition to the ones mentioned I would add:

Brinn's glance down at Covenant as he sacrifices himself to pull ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol off the cliff (victory through defeat)

Linden straightening Pitchwife's spine (his outer stature finally matching his inner strength of spirit)
... nobody I know.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

The two occasions when the poem My heart has rooms that sigh with dust is recited. Chokes me up every time no matter how many times I've read the books.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

I just read "Lord Mhoram's Victory" today, while on break at work. After Mhoram whistles for the Ranyhyn and Drinny comes trotting up to him, half starved and hurting and weak, and then Mhoram rides him into Revelstone, with word of Mhoram on a Ranyhyn spreading like wildfire through the Keep, spreading hope.....That scene evoked some tears from me. I tried hard to hold them in, being at work and all. Damn, that moved me.
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

In WGW, after the confrontation with Gibbon, when Covenant heads for the Banefire.

Someone else will have to look up the exact wording (my ex kept my copies of the 2nd Chrons, and I haven't replaced them yet), but when Findail speaks to Cov and says he will accompany him into the fire, it really gets to me. For so long, we see Findail as someone, if not villainous, then at least antagonistic.

Of course, Linden's pleas during the same scene always moved me as well.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”