Pantheon - The Third Age - Game Thread

Moderator: Xar

Dagon
Giantfriend

Post by Dagon »

"The red tide spreads, and you have no idea how your Leviathan is faring against the monstrous Worm."

My connection with my own prophet has been shattered. If anyone has recieved any further information concering the Leviathan's welfare please inform me.

Strange days are upon us Brothers, it seems all manners of trouble are creeping up on us.

"The seafloor near New Merlyss has cracked open, erupting with white-hot magma. Temperatures rise quickly and the water around the newly formed volcano quickly becomes searingly hot; even the folk in New Merlyss feel the temperature increase and begin to evacuate the city in order to avoid casualties when the volcano's magma reaches it. Rumor has it that the volcano is now the home of an entity of fire and light which is inimical to creatures of the water realms, and which will stop at nothing to destroy your underwater civilization."

Again, if anyone has any lore or knowledge of this entity, please contact me.
“I am you; you are ME. You are the waves; I am the ocean. Know this and be free, be divine.”
-Sri Sathya Sai Baba
The Numen
Giantfriend

Post by The Numen »

The Numen stand ready to accept any donations of power to be used to seek information. Unless a more urgent issue is decided, We intend to spend Our power this turn in seeking further information about the Midnight Army. As God of Undeath, We feel it is Our place to manage this one of the many problems facing Eiran. The first step towards that is devining a method of breaking their immunities.
Nothing rhymes with orange!
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

Well... *sigh* I was going to say the following:
I want to remind all of the words of The Just One, the Lord-General Admar Tellem Mekros:
"This is a time of darkness. We, the Lords of Eiran, have long laboured against this, but the destiny of the world is in the hands of its gods, as it has always been. We shall save all the mortals we can, and bring them into the embrace of the Allfather, as the Custodian wills; yet, the destiny of Eiran itself shall be decided by the immortals. Already the threads holding reality together begin to fray, and it saddens me that this time, there was no need of a World Breaker when the gods could break the world themselves. Heed my words. Unless the gods gather and save this world, Eiran will be soon gone, and all you will have to decide will be the manner of its departure. Even worlds must die, in the end, but whether they leave nothing behind or if instead their death throes are but the seeds of new worlds, that is the final task of the gods. So I tell you this: see beyond the world as it is now, seek those whose fate already is in motion. Others have been touched by the Allfather, empowered with the task to end or save the world: one has come back from the Beyond, another one has shrouded herself in mystery. Confer with them, if you would save Eiran - or if you would give it the dignity it deserves in death."
The Lords of Eiran have a plan for saving Eiran's mortals. Simjen has a plan. I have a plan. One other said something to me that makes me think there is yet another plan.

This is my current line of thought...

1) We should put some of our power into the various plans to save Eiran's inhabitants.

2) We should put some power into examining the problems that we cannot currently do anything about, but that will likely destroy the world or its inhabitants within the next season or two. The trouble in the Shylan Desert is in this category. Also, if Koel has not already learned enough to stop it, the Time Reaver.

3) We should put some power into taking care of the things that can possibly be fixed now. The Maw's Icewall; the Midnight Armies; the Leviathan and Worm battle; and, if Koel has learned enough, the Time Reaver.

Comments on that general plan?
Unfortunately, things are even worse than all that. Dagon just told us about a crack under the Sea. I am aware of another such crack. One of you told me about this last season:
Some of your followers have learned that a crack has appeared in the earth half a day east of the city; blinding white light is pouring out of the crack in the earth, and unearthly sounds can be heard there.
Of course, any of you could be aware of even more problems.

I don't know how much we can possibly handle. Is it even remotely possible to save Eiran? Or is exodus the only way to save our followers?
Anaya
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Anaya »

The Numen wrote:The Numen stand ready to accept any donations of power to be used to seek information. Unless a more urgent issue is decided, We intend to spend Our power this turn in seeking further information about the Midnight Army. As God of Undeath, We feel it is Our place to manage this one of the many problems facing Eiran. The first step towards that is devining a method of breaking their immunities.
What madness is this? The deity of Undeath seeks the power of his brethren that he may 'better understand' the great army that has arisen in Virelle. An army of undead, no less.

One day, I'm sure, one of the zombie gods will come up with a new plan. In the meantime, at least I have something to keep me amused.
When you reach a crossroad
Fate is the path you choose to walk
And Fate is the path down which you are thrust
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

If I may, Anaya...

As I said, it seems Second Age Undeath is far different from Third Age Undeath, making it largely immune to that domain. Unzen had difficulties with Undead things that originated in the Second Age, and the Midnight Armies seem somehow/somewhat outside of The Numen's scope. But, if The Numen is still our best chance of doing anything about them, more information is going to be needed.
Anaya
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Anaya »

Zephyr wrote:But, if The Numen is still our best chance of doing anything about them, more information is going to be needed.
Now that sounds vaguely familiar. Or should I say, familial?
Bhakti and Jove wrote:But, if Argothoth is still our best chance of doing anything about Nor Yekith, more power is going to be needed.
Not word for word, perhaps, but I think that sums up their excuses.

I only hope you remember, Verdant Lord, all of the events that lead to the banishment of divinity at the end of the Second Age.
When you reach a crossroad
Fate is the path you choose to walk
And Fate is the path down which you are thrust
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

You are back, Grey one. What fates do you see? What advice do you have to share?

Or perhaps you have heard of the Decadent one and have Desires to tend to! :biggrin:
Arcadia
Bloodguard

Post by Arcadia »

Perhaps we should enlist the Lords for their assistance. We may find that we cannot succeed without them.

Does one of you have a relationship with a Lord of Eiran who may rally the others to our cause?
Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. There is no fear in love; for perfect love cast out fear.
Simjen
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Simjen »

I do, but I doubt it would be that simple. For one, which cause? For another, the Lords of Eiran, as they're called, created their own purpose at the end of the second age. If they see it in their own best interest, I would be incredibly surprised if they were not already doing it. What could we reveal to them that they do not already see? I am certain they have a better understanding of what is happening on Eiran than we do.
Said she, "What I get I get out of the fire,
So prithee, strike home and redouble the blow."
The Numen
Giantfriend

Post by The Numen »

Anaya wrote:What madness is this? The deity of Undeath seeks the power of his brethren that he may 'better understand' the great army that has arisen in Virelle. An army of undead, no less.

One day, I'm sure, one of the zombie gods will come up with a new plan. In the meantime, at least I have something to keep me amused.
Welcome back, Mother. In addition to what Zephyr has already pointed out, We would simply like to clarify that Our offer was to use the offered power of others to research whatever Knowledge these other deities wanted researched.

We then made a seperate point, in the interest of full disclosure, that We intend to spend Our own power to research the nature of these older undead, because they seem to be different from Our flavor of Undeath from Our own.

Please accept Our apologies for not having paused longer between the two ideas, so it would be clearer that they were only tangentially related. And We invite you to join our discussion on saving the world we all inhabit, instead of quietly sniping from the sidelines.
O-gon-cho
The Gap Into Spam
Location: And closing of the eyes - true vision, The Light within became...Within the Light

Post by O-gon-cho »

Dagon wrote:"The seafloor near New Merlyss has cracked open, erupting with white-hot magma. Temperatures rise quickly and the water around the newly formed volcano quickly becomes searingly hot; even the folk in New Merlyss feel the temperature increase and begin to evacuate the city in order to avoid casualties when the volcano's magma reaches it. Rumor has it that the volcano is now the home of an entity of fire and light which is inimical to creatures of the water realms, and which will stop at nothing to destroy your underwater civilization."

Again, if anyone has any lore or knowledge of this entity, please contact me.
Could this be related to the desecration of my temple walls, saying "I HAVE RETURNED?" My domain of Light has not perceived any of these cracks, other than what others have shared with me. Could the deity of Sun and Fire have somehow also returned? I can think of nothing more inimical to sealife and Light is a more focused aspect of the Sun.

Merely a guess; but the method of communication seems familiar...

Welcome back, Grey Lady. Did your priests ever receive a parcel from the battle against the Ash Lich before the Midnight Armies arose? I pray things may be learned from such if you did...
uKulwa
Giantfriend

Post by uKulwa »

Simjen wrote:I have agreed to face the World Breaker and his allies (either in name or intent). I will not make the same mistake I did the last time, though, and will require an oath before the Allfather that you will support me in this confrontation. I do not ask for more divine strength than you see fit to lend, but I must go against the World Breaker as a representative of all the gods.
When that day comes brother, you shall have my oath. And all my might shall support your cause.

O-Gon-Cho, no your people's attacks on mine have nothing to do with the breach. But they shall learn the folly of attacking me without cause, for it has been long and long since I have moved against them, and now my forebearance is at an end.
All Things Begin and End in Strife.
------------------------------------
Msasi Haogopi Mwiba.

The Hunter Does Not Fear Thorns
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

Anaya, you and I have not had terribly much contact. But when we have, all has gone well. However, you also spoke out against me from the beginning, or at least against my father. If this is a hint of the reason, I hope you will continue. I have always wanted to know, and have even asked you.

And to explain to those who do not know... In the Second Age, Nor Yekith was extremely powerful. In one season, he utterly mutated half of an entire continent. Utterly. In a single season. Immensely powerful! None could guess what he had under his cloaking Star of Yekith, but all knew what it would do to the world once he released it. And it was certain that he was going to release it. He actually said he intended to force his vision onto the entire world. (In addition, he wanted my father's domain of Nature, in order to make it all easier. He demanded that my father sacrifice himself so that Nor Yekith could take Nature, or Nor Yekith would have me - then an infant - killed.)

While all this was going on, Argothoth was posing as Nor Yekith's ally. They had a plan. Argothoth was gathering the power to raise ALL of Eiran's dead! A staggering feat, for sure! Nor Yekith thought that Argothoth would then take this immense army, join with him, and take the world.

In reality, of course, Argothoth was my father's ally all along, as he had been my father's father's ally in the First Age. When the extremely powerful spell of Undeath was done, he was going to march his army against Nor Yekith.

Meanwhile, Argothoth had raised a powerful follower of his to godhood. But this god betrayed him, and told Nor Yekith about the true plan. Nor Yekith then fled Eiran, before the war started.
Arcadia
Bloodguard

Post by Arcadia »

Simjen wrote:
Once my people are safe, I have agreed to face the World Breaker and his allies (either in name or intent). I will not make the same mistake I did the last time, though, and will require an oath before the Allfather that you will support me in this confrontation. I do not ask for more divine strength than you see fit to lend, but I must go against the World Breaker as a representative of all the gods.
Why can't we all face the World Breaker? Why should one god shoulder the entire responsibility?? We are many and our combined strength and numbers should count for something. The World Breaker will not be alone. Is it fair for our brother Simjen to stand alone - even if he is imbued with our power?

Does not the Pantheon represent an army of power? Together, I would think we make a considerable force.

Perhaps we could persuade the All-Father to join us and defeat the World Breaker once and for all.
Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. There is no fear in love; for perfect love cast out fear.
Simjen
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Simjen »

That would be nice, but unless things have changed, it just doesn't work that way. Not even Antovar, my loyal hound, could join me in battle. Even artifacts at my disposal were only useful to draw additional power, having none of their intended effect.

This is largely why I have come to the conclusion that I need to go before the Kidney Stone (I will not say his name aloud, but those that know it may understand) with the gods' authority more than their power. My strength at the time was greater than the combined strength of most courts, his more than that of today's strongest court. While the battle was close, I was still overwhelmed. I do not imagine any scenario short of every god of the pantheon giving me their divine strength, a possibility I consider slim considering the response so far to my proposals, that does not lead to a similar situation.

Despite this, I believe I can defeat him, perhaps even alone. However, I think it better for Eiran and especially its gods if I have greater support.

uKulwa, I thank you for your commitment. You are truly an example to us all.

One other thing, perhaps only tangentially related, that I think I should mention: Some may remember and others may have heard of the Day of Fire, when a meteor rained destruction down upon Magiddo. I have reports of one claiming to prophesize this event's return, but on a world-wide scale. I have no reason to accept this report, but I do not have any to doubt it, either. Keep a cautious eye to the skies, my brothers.

The time for exodus draws near. If any choose to join my people, I need to know now. Unless you can get your followers to Magiddo quickly, you will want to start them off as soon as possible. And remember that if I am to house more than a handful, I need star metal. I should have enough for my own purposes, but no more.
The Numen
Giantfriend

Post by The Numen »

Simjen, The Numen will give you what power We have, when you prepare to fight. If We may help you in other ways before then, you are invited to ask.
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

Arcadia wrote:...Perhaps we could persuade the All-Father to join us and defeat the World Breaker once and for all.
Ask the AllFather?!! It was he that released this bane on us! And in that release, and the cracking of the Ice Walls, may have given him access to powers to overwhelm all of us combined. Why would you seek aid from one who would do that to his own creation?!

I have seen myself that Omega cannot be stopped. But perhaps ... perhaps it can be delayed. There is one plan that might work ...
Simjen
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Simjen »

Thank you, Numen. Though when the time comes, remember I will need your authority more than your power. No mere blessing, it is not something I expect to be given lightly.

Perhaps you can help determine if or when this new Day of Fire will occur? Besides avoiding a great amount of tragedy and suffering, the star metal gained from such a catastrophe would be invaluable. I can put forward a measure of my divine strength toward it.
The Numen
Giantfriend

Post by The Numen »

If you are fighting on Our behalf, We see no reason not to authorize you to do so, Simjen. Our Authority will likewise be granted.

And, We would be pleased to gather this information for you.
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

I'm not sure what you have in mind, Simjen, or what exactly you're asking for. However, when the time comes, ask for whatever you need from me, and it will be yours.

As for star metal... Everyone... Honestly, does anyone think they can make something better out of it than Simjen can??? His own followers will be fine. He's offering to see to yours as well. Unless you'd rather keep the trinkets you've been using so far. :lol:

Return to “Pantheon”