Breaking Bad

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Breaking Bad

Post by Ki »

pilot episode happened tonight on AMC at 10pm. it stars the dad from malcolm in the middle. he plays a chemistry teacher who starts to make meth.

interesting role for him and the first episode definitely got my attention. did anyone else catch it?
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

Saw last 10 minutes or so. It was cool
B&
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The end of the last season wasn't so bad, but this season just puts it to shame.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

This show rocks! My favorite scene so far was in the first season, when he's giving Jesse the corny, teachery 'you can do it' pep talk... to get him to help make meth. Hilarious!
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

This season is absolutely amazing... the whole storyline with Hank and all that's happened to him is an awesome sub-plot. The guy playing Hank needs an emmy for this I think. The look on his face when he kicked in Jesse's door and beat the crap out of him was intense! And then the whole shootout in the parking lot with the 2 Columbians... wow!

The first season was great... the second season was a little bit of a let down (at least to me), but it was still good - with some really strong moments. By the end of the season, I wondered if they could keep the story going. This season proves they can.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Yeah it's a great, great show. I just hope it doesn't give others the impression that New Mexico is the meth and crime capital of the world...I'm always running into detours in town for the shootings of either Breaking Bad, In Plain Sight (which is a pretty dam good show in it's own right) or some movie or other. "Tacowood" keeps getting bigger and bigger. :biggrin:
fall far and well Pilots!
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I knew both shows were set in ABQ, didn't know they were both actually shot there. I love In Plain Sight as well - both are great shows.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

DAMN!

I was not expecting that.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
ParanoiA
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ParanoiA »

That's why I love this show. It's my favorite on TV right now, and has been since the pilot. Even 'Lost' couldn't take that spot.

This show has done this for me several times now. Totally shocking me without betraying character motivations. Walt's move last night is consistent with his character, though I never saw it coming.

This season is particularly dark since we have two main characters that were more comical in the first two seasons, now each going through more serious, dramatic arcs.

I have no idea what's going to happen with Hank, but I'm sure I won't see that coming either.

Oh, and Skylar is a bitch. Yeah she's slowly coming around, but she never shoulda left...off with her head.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Breaking Bad

Post by SleeplessOne »

bumped this oldish thread as I have just finished watching all three seasons of Breaking Bad on dvd (devoured the whole lot in about a month).
A couple of friends had been nagging at me to watch it for a while and I accidently caught a repeat of the pilot on tv one night. I was hooked by that first episode and have come to love this show like few others !

The whole premise was great to start with, a middle-aged, nebbish high school chemistry teacher, Walt, is diagnosed with terminal cancer and, after a series of specific circumstances, elects to 'break bad' and start cooking crystal meth in order to provide a nest egg for his soon-to-be fatherless family.

The show's moral and ethical dilemmas twist and deepen with each episode.
The scripts are smart and the acting often amazing (Bryan Cranston won the best actor award in the shows first series, Aaron Paul is equally stellar and the rest of the main players are great too)

Breaking Bad is frequently darkly humorous but I wouldn't call it a comedy by any means, there are many confrontingly bleak scenarios played out in the dangerous underworld Walt immerses himself in.

The show looks amazing, one of the most beautifully photographed things I can recall seeing on tv.

Series creator Vince Gilligan, along with his team of writers, regularly concoct scenes of almost unbearable tension, a hallmark of the show. I've nearly had half a dozen heart attacks while watching this show !

Leaving aside the visceral thrills and dread-filled plot, at it's heart Breaking Bad has a classic mentor/protege dynamic with lead characters Walt and Jesse Pinkman, his brash and troubled young partner in crime.
Any scene with these two characters is gold, and the direction that their increasingly dysfunctional relationship took at the end of season 3 was jaw-droppingly shocking.

Can't wait for one more season !!
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

I echo the sentiment that this show rules. The cinematography alone is stellar. And I agree with the SleeplessOne, that any scene involving Walt and Jesse is gold.

Can't wait for season 4!
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

This series end was a bit of a shocker. I was just commenting to my husband about how much Walt has changed when the ending scene zoomed in. Eek.

And, did anyone notice in episode 10 that Mike was about to kill Jesse before he was shot?
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

-George Steiner
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Breaking Bad

Post by SleeplessOne »

Ananda wrote:This series end was a bit of a shocker. I was just commenting to my husband about how much Walt has changed when the ending scene zoomed in. Eek.

And, did anyone notice in episode 10 that Mike was about to kill Jesse before he was shot?
no he wasn't.

why would the makeshift-ED that Gus had set-up near the Mexican Border have included bags full of Jesse's blood-type, as well as an extensive medical history on hand for the Doctor, if Gus had planned on having Mike off him after the whole poisoning escapade ?
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Well, we broke down and paid $28 dollars for the HD version of S4 on VUDU. Fantastic show! I'm blown away. I think it's even better than Battlestar Galactica or Lost. Every single episode is tight, tense, and moves the story along with a character-driven inevitability that feels like it couldn't have happened any other way in hindsight, but largely unpredictable while you're watching. No filler whatsoever. Just intense drama. This would make an amazing novel.

I didn't realize Ki started this thread until recently. We watched a few episodes in the first season, and then lost track of it.

Syl, funny stuff. :lol:

It did kind of look like Mike was pointing his gun at Jessie, but I think SleeplessOne's argument makes sense. Anyway, if it was intentional, they would follow up on it, make it a plot point. I think Mike was just providing cover, since there were bad guys in several directions.

Can't wait for S5!
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

So.. finally got around to watching S4 finale.
Not bad, not bad at all.
That's understatement speak for 'I can't believe I stopped watching Breaking Bad mid S3!'
(In my defense, having to watch something for work and watching it for pure pleasure are two very different things.)

The ending was brilliant writing and Aaron Paul/Bryan Cranston are getting better, if that's possible.
And holy crap, Walt's turned into one badass mofo!

By the way, (and please don't unwrap the black paper if you haven't seen the finale)...
Spoiler
I LOVE how Gus died. The fixing of the tie with half his face blown off was such a gorgeously macabre touch.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

when we were at the Elohim Fest at the Donaldson meet & greet Breaking Bad was having their cast party there.

having had a few beers i needed to hit the men's room and accidently wandered slightly into their meeting place. some beefy security type guy moved me along gently. the closest i got to seeinbg anyone. :)

never did find the restroom. or see Brian Cranston.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Breaking Bad

Post by Ananda »

SleeplessOne wrote:
Ananda wrote:This series end was a bit of a shocker. I was just commenting to my husband about how much Walt has changed when the ending scene zoomed in. Eek.

no he wasn't.
EDIT: I watched it in slow motion a few times and now I agree with you and Zed. :P I did like the idea, though, but I think you are right.

It was just the camera angle. He did point his gun in Jesse's direction, but appears to be looking to the right of jesse, not at him. I had thought they let it drop because he saved them, plus Mike was in recovery for the next two episodes or just not on camera.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

New season! We couldn't wait. We broke down and purchased the season pass on Microsoft Zune Marketplace, to stream it over our Xbox account. $25 or so (it's purchased with Microsoft points) for the whole season, as it airs.

The first episode was awesome. We're off to a good start. I like how no detail is left out of the writers' consideration. The camera in the lab never occurred to me as a loose end, even though we saw Gus looking at the live feed on his laptop in season 4. As far as becoming the focus of an entire episode, I never would have thought that this detail could have sustained that much drama, but it worked. I'm glad Jessie got to think of the solution, and it seemed to have been successful (though led to another loose end ... the Cayman bank accounts where Gus stashed his cash). The shot in the burned out lab with Hank and Co. in their biohazard suits was surreal, like men on the moon. And Ned was a completely surprise. I can't wait to see where they go next.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yeah, that was a great season premiere. Was cool to see Bobby from Supernatural in the opening scene, and I can't wait to see what that's all about.

It was fun to see Walt go Heisenberg on Saul, and it's always good to have Mike around.
-George Steiner

Return to “TV Shows”