Favorite dramas

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Favorite dramas

Post by Fist and Faith »

Northern Exposure
Kung Fu (TOS)
Columbo
Picket Fences
West Wing
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Buffy is a drama, I'd venture to say. It has elements of comedy, but it also has very deep characters that make you want to watch the show for months to see how each one progresses.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I was considering various other threads. Sci-fi, horror, adventure... Not sure just how to classify things, so wasn't sure where to put Buffy. Of course, one of my all-time favs. :) People might also expect to find Kung Fu in an adventure thread. Of course, it's really about taoism (but what isn't? :mrgreen:), so how about a tv-philosophy thread? :LOLS:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

edit
Last edited by matrixman on Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Here's some of mine, but not all I'm sure

Touched by an Angel
The West Wing
ER
Law and Order
Judging Amy
CSI
CSI: Cold Case
Highway to Heaven
Little House on the Priarie
Star Trek: TNG
Star Trek: DS9
Star Trek: Voyager

There's more, but those are the ones off the top of my head. :D
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Hmm, Star Trek: Voyager was a show that I had prematurely dismissed--Star Trek just wasn't a happening thing for me anymore. But lately I've been catching Voyager episodes in syndication, and they've all been quite good. And the interaction between Capt. Janeway and her crew actually seemed more natural to me than what I often saw on Star Trek: TNG. It figures, I start liking a show after it's been cancelled. :?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

MM, that's exactly what happened to me. A couple years ago, I started watching the reruns at midnight, and ended up liking it a lot more than when it was originally on. As I've said in the past, 7 became my favorite character. Her role and perspective were unique, and I think she did a fantastic job acting. I particularly love two scenes.
-When a Borg is grown using the Doctor's holo-emitter. The scene at the end where the Borg let's himself die so the Collective will not return for him, and 7 tries to talk him out of it. "Please, you are hurting me" is such an incredible moment!!
-When the Doctor learns that his memory has been deleted, and finds out that he saved Harry over that woman that we never knew, just because he happens to know Harry better, and he goes a little crazy with the morality of that choice. So they delete the memory again, and 7 objects, thinking that he should be allowed to work through it. She confronts Janeway in a great scene, not letting up, telling Janeway that she's wrong! *gasp* No other character would have given it to Janeway quite the same way.

The So happy that she was so much more than a hot body with paint instead of clothes. (Although I was pleased that she was a hot body with paint instead of clothes!:))
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Matrixman wrote:Greatest American Hero -- good-hearted superhero spoof. William Katt was perfect in the role.
There's a series I would love to get on tape. I don't believe it has ever rerun, since the time I got my first VCR! :(

You didn't mention Max Headroom, MM. I set my personal TV-watching record when they reran all sixteen of the Max Headroom episodes in a row. Took some wild imaginations to put that show together. "Pretty simple, really." :)

Beauty And the Beast. Inspired casting, wonderful sense of humanity. Another series I would love to own all of. Linda Hamilton was my favorite actress for a long time.

I agree about Northern Exposure, another one with great imagination and outstanding characterization.

I do have every episode of La Femme Nikita. Peta Wilson and Roy DuPuis, what a pair. :faint:
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

edit
Last edited by matrixman on Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Unless the X-files is considered a drama, I don't know if I have one. Of course if all of the Star Treks are dramas I suppose I have a few to pick from. I just don't watch television to experience everyday life when I get so much of it......every day. :-) Television had better alow me to escape or make me laugh or I'm reaching for the remote.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I thought (think) Max Headroom is funny as hell. The rivalry between Matt Frewer and Max, Max's "standup" comedy, kid-whiz Bryce's singlemindedness, the aged punker with his pants that would walk away if he didn't nail them down at night...

I loved the whole look, IMO as harmonious for its type as it is possible to get.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

By drama, I don't mean Soap Opera. And even that isn't everyday life for most people. (I sure don't get that much sex, or kidnapped by aliens or guerillas that frequently.) The great dramas explore aspects of humanity. My favorite, Northern Exposure, is very philosophical. The characters each have their own way of making you understand their view on things. It gets close to being a fantasy show at times too, which is always fun. :D

Picket Fences is more down-to-earth. It's largely a law show, made by David Kelly (I think he did Ally McBeal, The Practice, and at least another law show), but a lot of it takes place in the family too. It did a fantastic job of exploring lots of serious, but common issues. Like doctor-assisted suicide and prejudice.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

edit
Last edited by matrixman on Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

haha get this .. my favourite telly-drama is and was

the adventures of Horacio Hornblower .. BBC teledrama .. and it was brilliant!!

has the book and knows ;) :P
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Oh! Columbo was so cool! I really liked that show... and watch it whenever I can!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

mmm .. methinks i am the only one on this thread who knows what a teledrama is ;)

lol :P
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Yeah... I was going to mention that it's not a drama... but it was in a list some where and I thought I'd get me opinion down...

Return to “TV Shows”