Rogue Trader - Registration and Discussion Thread

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

I think the choice is a bit silly, to be honest, but this is one of the new playable Xenos races for the upcoming RT expansion:

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1399
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

Buh. Would be fine if it was just a mod so you could play as an Ork Rogue Trader (Freebooter) with an orkish crew of PCs (weirdboy, mekboy, kommando etc). Orks in RT crews just seems weird. Hopefully they have rules for playing Kroot, as mercs they're much more likely to be in the employ of humans. Ditto abhumans- Ogryns, ratlings etc...not that I ever really dug those...mutations.
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

I agree. It strikes me of mass-appeal.

Even if the RT and his companions were ok with having an Ork amongst them, I don't see a crew from the Imperium buying it for a second. A Rogue Trader openly dealing with one of the Imperium's most constant foes? Rise up and eject him and his green-skin from the airlock!

A kroot would have made so much more sense, but I doubt it will be the number two from the book, as that would make a choice between two savage, war-like aliens. I'll put my money on the second race being Eldar, which is almost sillier than an Ork. What self-respecting Eldar would hang around and help upstart humans for more than the shortest possible time it takes to double-cross them?
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Montresor wrote: What self-respecting Eldar would hang around and help upstart humans for more than the shortest possible time it takes to double-cross them?
The Eldar do it all the time - from Rangers to Seers/Warlocks. It's even recorded that some Inquisitors have Eldar as companions. Additionally, some members of the Imperium have been allowed to live on Craftworlds.

In regards to your double-crossing comment, Eldar are not naturally traitors. They don't double-cross anyone for the sake of it, and will only do that if the foreseeable future deems it necessary. People only think the Eldar stab you in the back because they don't understand that the Seers believe that to do otherwise would jeopardise their race. But that doesn't mean that they do it all the time.

Personally, I think Eldar would make great player characters, if only they are played correctly.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

I'm only exaggerating for comic effect, really. There's some info on Rangers helping humans in the Anathema, actually.

I think Eldar as player characters in the current setting would more likely cheapen their otherness. I'd rather see shorter campaigns designed around every player taking a character from a specific Xenos race. Such as an all Ork, or all Eldar campaign.

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

What would worry me about having Eldar onboard is that they would end up like Elves in other RPGs with every man and his dog wanting to play the same stereotypical style Eldar with little imagination or effort and the other races drop massively in popularity.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Anyway, I'm not going to permit it. This is for two reasons: 1 - it cheapens the setting, in my view; but much more importantly, 2 - one PC would be forced because of a personality trait to kill the Eldar on sight, or die trying. So, to allow an Eldar character, I'd have to get rid of a pre-existing PC. That's not acceptable in my book.

Of course, the second Xenos race could very well turn out to be a Stryxis, Kroot, or something else innocuous enough, so this discussion is purely academic.

Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

Montresor wrote:So, to allow an Eldar character, I'd have to get rid of a pre-existing PC.
Or...the pre-existing P.C spatters the interior of the ship with Eldar viscera, howling triumphantly and holding a head of contorted yet beautiful countenance.
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Dorian wrote:What would worry me about having Eldar onboard is that they would end up like Elves in other RPGs with every man and his dog wanting to play the same stereotypical style Eldar with little imagination or effort and the other races drop massively in popularity.
So one person shouldn't be allowed to play an Eldar because people here would play them stereotypically? I abide by Montresor's comments that he won't allow Eldar etc in his campaign, and believe me I won't allow aliens as pcs in mine (as in, conflict with people playing Imperium humans as well), but I think your statement is too general. I plan to run a xenos campaign eventually, and it's down to how good a player is, not whether others will ruin it.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

No I dont mean on here specifically, I mean in general. Whilst I have no doubt that some people would do a great job of doing them, the masses as a whole would latch on to them the way they latch to elves in other RPGs I think.

Imagine Farseer Drasnil 8O
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Dorian wrote:No I dont mean on here specifically, I mean in general. Whilst I have no doubt that some people would do a great job of doing them, the masses as a whole would latch on to them the way they latch to elves in other RPGs I think.

Imagine Farseer Drasnil 8O
The masses already ruin fantasy, so what's the deal? There should be no playable Eldar because people won't play them right? Kind of like saying there should be no cars because of idiots on the roads.

40K games should provide players with what they want; if that means Rogue Traders, Space Marines, Kroot Shapers, Ork Nobz, etc.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Provided its done in taste and not simply for mass appeal.

I personally think a RPG revolving around Eldar rangers or Harlequins etc would be cool. Where as some random adventure party, ala DnD, full of various different races for the sake of it could easily be stupid and out of sync with the 40k universe.

Ultimately it comes down to the players I guess, but personally I'm still not 100% convinced its a good idea as a whole. I mean, look at the inclusion of Orks. Kroot would've been a far more logical, interesting, varied and justifiable choice. The inclusion of Orks instead reeks of trying to sell more source books.

Actually, in saying that, if a good enough job was done to justify it, a party containing several different races could be interesting in terms of player interaction. Bunch of players get stuck together with a common enemy or some such. Could lead to a fun game.

I dunno, just call me a stick in the mud for the 40K universe and how it has been put together thus far :P
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I mean, look at the inclusion of Orks. Kroot would've been a far more logical, interesting, varied and justifiable choice. The inclusion of Orks instead reeks of trying to sell more source books.
Only, they are not releasing a sourcebook on Orks alone, so it can't be for profit. The book will also contain other xenos, not to mention more careers for humans, new items, etc.

Dorian, I'm coming over to NZ to kick your ass.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

If thats so, I cant wait to finally meet you in person :P

Drinks are on me.
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

And then after the drinking...the beatdown will begin. :biggrin:
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Dorian wrote:If thats so, I cant wait to finally meet you in person :P

Drinks are on me.
Actually, I am tempted to fly over to New Zealand in two months time. See you, Stonemagnet, and Variol Son, as well as do some skiing.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

Ahahaha..."Whimsical tales of the royally f&%$ked."
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Would be more than happy to have you Lore :)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Dorian wrote:Would be more than happy to have you Lore :)
Okay, cool. Will see you in two months.

Return to “Rogue Trader”