New Dr Who

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I found Cold Blood to be rushed, although very well done. The story honestly could have been a three parter, just to capture the spirit of dealing with the ancient species.

Again, I am not sure about the Silurian design. From their behaviour, they came across as more reptilian. However, they look too human.

Murrin, I agree the season is a retcon. Which isn't a bad thing.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Welp, this week's episode (the Van Gogh one) was very good, I have nothing to criticise. They need to use more writers of Curtis' caliber.
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

Why can I close my eyes and see Micheal Palin delivering a lot of the Doctors dialogue? Not all the time, but on occasion Matt Smith seems to slip into a Python-esque Micheal Palin impersonation. Over the last four or so episodes I kept thinking that The Doctor's speech and mannerisms reminded me of someone and tonight it hit me.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Sunbaneglasses wrote:Why can I close my eyes and see Micheal Palin delivering a lot of the Doctors dialogue? Not all the time, but on occasion Matt Smith seems to slip into a Python-esque Micheal Palin impersonation. Over the last four or so episodes I kept thinking that The Doctor's speech and mannerisms reminded me of someone and tonight it hit me.
Better than the Tenth Doctor quoting Kylie Minogue. ;)
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

Taking cues from Micheal Palin is not necessarily a bad thing as long as he does not turn the character into Doctor Gumby.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Murrin wrote:Welp, this week's episode (the Van Gogh one) was very good, I have nothing to criticise. They need to use more writers of Curtis' caliber.
Totally agree. My favourite episode so far.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
kanes_son
Servant of the Land

Post by kanes_son »

Stonemaybe wrote:
Murrin wrote:Welp, this week's episode (the Van Gogh one) was very good, I have nothing to criticise. They need to use more writers of Curtis' caliber.
Totally agree. My favourite episode so far.
As usual with Dr Who, any misgivings I had about writers, actors or the whole going back in time meeting historical figures (with the exception of Tooth and Claw) was unfounded. I normally find Curtis a bit mawkish but this was wonderful and as usual I cried :oops:

That said, I am not looking forward to James Corden next week, he just annoys the heck out of me, but I thought Catherine Tate was going to be awful and she ended up being my favourite assistant.

I don't remember much of the old Who, I probably started watching at the age of 4 with Tom Baker but my memory is shot.

Think Matt Smith is a bloody excellent Doctor, such a refreshing change from Tennant's endless gurning
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

kanes_son wrote:Think Matt Smith is a bloody excellent Doctor, such a refreshing change from Tennant's endless gurning
You sir, are grand. Nice to know someone who feels the same way about Tennant's doctor.

Welcome to the watch, by the way.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

This weeks was another decent standalone episode, though I do wonder
Spoiler
how there could have been a TARDIS there, when the Doctor's is the last remaining.
Looks like next week is a meta-story episode, with the opening of the Pandorica and the return of River Song. The preview was half filled with clips from all the times the crack was encountered in earlier episodes, and a line stood out to me: The Doctor said it came from moments of time that should never have touched being forced together. I'm now wondering if, because the crack appears everywhere the 11th Doctor visits, it is his travels through time themselves that connect the moments that the crack runs through.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I still have yet to see any of the rebooted series of the Doctor. But, from what I know of the canon from the original series, and from what little I have read here and pieced together from it, that theory carries the most weight with me, Murrin.

The Doctor and companions are always outsiders to the natural flow of the situations they wind up in. Who knows (yes, pun intended) what repercussions their involvement brings outside of what has been depicted via what we are allowed to see?
kanes_son
Servant of the Land

Post by kanes_son »

Murrin wrote:This weeks was another decent standalone episode, though I do wonder
Spoiler
how there could have been a TARDIS there, when the Doctor's is the last remaining.
Looks like next week is a meta-story episode, with the opening of the Pandorica and the return of River Song. The preview was half filled with clips from all the times the crack was encountered in earlier episodes, and a line stood out to me: The Doctor said it came from moments of time that should never have touched being forced together. I'm now wondering if, because the crack appears everywhere the 11th Doctor visits, it is his travels through time themselves that connect the moments that the crack runs through.
I wondered that as well, and something else struck me (I need to confirm with my fellow nerdy Whovian
Spoiler
When the doctor looked at his watch, it was the one with the gold strap and the last time he wore this was when he went back to Amy in F&S. When Amy had her eyes closed.
If you go back and watch the episode again, you'll understand. Any excuse, eh?

Of course I also think this will lead to the return of

Spoiler
Rory
Yeah, I'm a bit nerdy :biggrin:
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Spoiler
The actor who plays Rory was seen on set for the finale. I hope he returns, as I really like the character.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

My guess is it's the tardis causing the problems. That scene where the doc reached into the crack and pulled out a charred part of the sign....
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

So.
Spoiler
Part 1 of the finale, and the universe just exploded. Wonder how they'll go on from there, heh.
And I was wrong:
Spoiler
I didn't think the Pandorica would be empty, I thought the Doctor would already be inside it.
Horizonscan
Servant of the Land

Post by Horizonscan »

Murrin wrote: And I was wrong:
Spoiler
I didn't think the Pandorica would be empty, I thought the Doctor would already be inside it.
I thought that too. Liked the twist though; I didn't see it coming. Loved all of the new series so far. Hope they have a fitting series ending. :D
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Spoiler
I watched the Pandorica Opens yesterday and found it very enjoyable, although flawed. The Cyberman opening his head to reveal the shrivelled head inside was great, as was its attempts to 'upgrade' Amy. The twist was brilliant, and the ending incredible.

However, there are problems with Rory being an Auton - namely, if Rory was erased from history how come he was in a photo with Amy? And further, how did he recall his death if there were no one around to scan his memories. I accept that, as the Silurians were part of the alliance, they could have - but their base was being fumigated at the time so no one would have had the chance. And Rory was quickly erased after being shot by Rastak.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Spoiler
Yeah, the idea we are supposed to accept - that a Rory with all his memories and personality who believed he was the real thing was constructed, possibly accidentally in the process of creating the Romans, from Amy's residual memories in her bedroom - doesn't really make any sense.

I think it'd be interesting, though, if the Doctor's comment about Amy's life not making sense was more than just the absence of Rory making it not fit. I don't think the writers are going to make Amy into something like that given they did the opposite (everything else was a fake based on Amy) in the twist.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

See any likenesses?
Life is a waste of time