AATE Cover Art (US)

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Atrium
Ramen

Post by Atrium »

Looks exactly like the Harrower to me, like i imagined him. AND with a staff, which would be the Staff of Law, what other staffs are there in circulation these days? The Lords had staffs, and the lillanrill, but none of them seem to be around any more.

Speculating: The Harrower will at some point get his hands on the Staff of Law. Probably after revealing to Linden where Jeremiah is hidden (maybe thats why they have to leave the land by boat). I dont see any ring on his finger, so he might not get the white gold (yet). Can he do his thing with just the Staff? What is his thing anyway? Doesnt sound like the rest of the supernatural creatures in the land are all too happy about it. Neither the bad nor the good ones. Anyone have a guess?
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

I really don't think that is the SoL II. The SoL was pretty much black with some Runes carved into it. Plus where are the metal bands?
It may be an ugly stick that the Harrow weilds to beat Esmer with.

Plus looking at the review that Orion Books gives is rather vague and not really a review at all.
But I guess you get a preconceived notion and when the book is released, it's not what you are expecting.
But the Yanks do like to have pretty pictures put with their books.
(Hope the worm eats the Harrow by mistake and has a reaction to it and falls into a coma.)

Don't my avatar reminds you what the worm is going to do?
Maybe he munching Inflelice?
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Those crazy US covers.. They all look ridiculous and don't capture the spirit of the books whatsoever. I really prefer the UK / Australia ones.. Which is lucky, considering where I live.

Sure it could be the Harrow, but I'm not wanting to rule out Liand or that young Ramen kid.. I expect both those characters to change a bit and go off on their own.. And we all know Liand looks after the staff for Linden sometimes.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

Staff of Law would have bands on top, as well as the previously mentioned Runes and the charred appearance.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Ur Dead wrote:Don't my avatar reminds you what the worm is going to do?
:lol: Now you mention it - ! [By the way, my son *loves* your avatar. Makes him laugh!]
SGuilfoyle1966 wrote:Staff of Law would have bands on top, as well as the previously mentioned Runes and the charred appearance.
I think we discussed (when the FR cover was released) that the pictures on the cover are only representations. On FR it's Gandalf...er...I mean Wildwood ;) and he's holding the Staff of Law only it doesn't have bands on it (if I remember correctly).

I still go with The Harrow
a) because I'm in love with the Harrow and I think the dude on the cover of AATE is HAWT ;)
but more seriously
b) it's the beads that give it away. The garb the dude is wearing on the cover doesn't fit Liand, especially given Liand has black hair, doesn't he...or did I make that up? I really should pay more attention!
Atrium
Ramen

Post by Atrium »

Dont you remember Caerroil Wildwood on the cover of Illearth war? He was holding a whole tree. But as i recall the text described it as a staff.

You cant trust them cover artists :)

So what is the harrow up to? Hazard a guess anyone?
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

LOL!!!!!!!! Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! Hehehehehehehehe!!!!!!
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Romeo wrote:LOL!!!!!!!! Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! Hehehehehehehehe!!!!!!
Translated: You dumbasses don't have a clue.

;)
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Romeo wrote:LOL!!!!!!!! Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! Hehehehehehehehe!!!!!!

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

But hey, I'm just jealous....
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Seareach wrote:
Ur Dead wrote:Don't my avatar reminds you what the worm is going to do?
:lol: Now you mention it - ! [By the way, my son *loves* your avatar. Makes him laugh!]
Hey I love it too. Every time I run into a munching Ur Dead post I have to tear my away from the funny pic. The Worm??? :hairs: I never guessed. Give it a whole new meaning [Munch her baby. Munch her!]

As for the cover, that's not how I'd pictured the Harrow. He looks too serious and his eyes are too normal as people already said.
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Re: AATE Cover Art (US)

Post by Billy G. »

Romeo wrote:Image
Is that the Harrow? :? OK, I owe everyone a Coke. Didn't first check the date on the thread... :roll:

Covenant would have been missing some fingers!
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

I go with that being the Harrow, don't remember any time that we are told his hands were empty, so maybe he had a plain staff to defend against wolves or such like.
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

...dude bears a striking resemblance to the homeless guy spare-changing outside my local 7-11....when he's not shouting at himself... 8O
"Who enters here, do not lose hope / Who leaves; do not rejoice / Who has not been, shall be here yet / Who has been here, shall never forget" Anonymous / discovered scratched into the wall of a cell in the KGB's Lefortovo Prison in Moscow/originally quoted in the book "Alexander Dolguns Story" (by A.Dolgun),describing the ordeals of an American citizen falsely imprisoned by the Soviet Union from 1948 to 1957.
dlevere
The Hackmaster

Post by dlevere »

It's definitely The Harrow.

What's the big deal about this Harrow, anyway? The only thing that he seems to be good at is getting laughed at by Giants and kicking Haruchai asses. :?:

[mod edit - no need for spoiler tags in this forum.]
The Hackmaster
Hacking 101
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Billy G. »

matrixman wrote:Image
Spoiler
God, that's prophetic. :twisted:
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

:lol: No kidding!

And :( I was hoping Matrixman would show up at the Watch again after AATE came out. But so far.... :(

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
coedyfelin
Servant of the Land

Post by coedyfelin »

The character on the US cover is also wearing a harrow around his neck!
In FR part two chapter 4 it says
from his shoulders hung a short dun chlamys secured by a bronze clasp...the clasp resembled a ploughshare
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

dlevere wrote:It's definitely The Harrow.

What's the big deal about this Harrow, anyway? The only thing that he seems to be good at is getting laughed at by Giants and kicking Haruchai asses. :?:
Everyone...it *is* the Harrow. Believe me!!!! :biggrin:

And the big deal about the Harrow: he's HAWT! [I confess I've had a crush on him for quite some time!...even if he is a prat...but I seem to always have the hots for prats! :lol:]
Verement
Servant of the Land

Ha - it makes sense!

Post by Verement »

Just finished reading AATE - at last I can read these forums!
Loved it - but my main point is the UK book cover makes sense!!!
High Lord Mhoram ROCKS! -
But now Mhoram felt the fire which burned against his flesh under his robe. In a rush of exultation, he understood it, grasped its meaning intuitively. As the Stone reached its height over his head, he tore open his robe and grasped Loric's krill.

Its gem blazed like a hot white brazier in his hands. It was charged to overflowing with echoes of wild magic; he could feel its keenness as he gripped its hilt.

It was a weapon strong enough to bear any might.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

I have the US edition which is surprisingly good and wondered if anyone has a good pick of the picture on the first page (it's from the scene on the Hazard I guess). I can't make out the details in this picture.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”