The Most Romantic Film Scene Ever!

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

For pure hormone therapy I have to add the pottery scene from Ghost.........
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

danlo wrote:
Tulizar wrote: Thanks for the warning. I certainly wouldn't want my kids reading anything that says Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.

Hey, I thought it was a great soliloquy from a MOVIE and a great romantic scene (as asked for), this isn't my political view nor should it have anything to do with politics. It's something penned by a scriptwritter, for pete's sake, not Think Tank material. (if you were being funny it didn't read that way, sorry)
Danlo I love Bull Durham and you're right, it's a great quote from an awesome movie!! Costner and Sarandon at their best.

Sorry, guess my joke fell flat. You playfully warned kids not to read the quote b/c of the cock and pussy line. I thought I was having a little fun by ignoring the obvious thing you didn't want kids to read. (Guess I should've gone for the Sontag reference instead of Oswald, huh? ;) )

Seriously, no political jabs intended.
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:Wow! Nobody mentioned the boom box scene ala John Cusack, Ione Skye from "Say Anything"?????
One of my favorites. Good one!
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

lorin wrote:
Elfgirl wrote:Sorry, gotta say it - Jack & Rose in the "I'm flying" bit in Titanic...schmuffy to the n'th degree (and come on, who didn't wanna try it for real???)
I've tried over and over to get to the tip (bow?) of the cruise ship.....no way to get to it. Hell, some of these new ships don't even have a tip/bow. just big floating boxes.
LOL!!! Yup!!

That's probably why that scene is so romantic - cos it came from a long-dead romantic era and elegance in design...romance today isn't as easy cos it's all about economy and speed rather than elegance :(

"an elegant ship, for a more civilised age"...(misquoting "Star Wars")
ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Usivius wrote:many parts of "Notting Hill" .. I especailly like the part after she has given him the painting and he is summerizing the event with his friends at the defunct restaurant ... the look on their faces and his as he realizes he's fu--ed up is great...
Absolutely. I really like that movie, and never expected to.

For me, it's from the Fisher King - one of those movies I just love that seemed to have passed most people by. Parry is walking Lydia home and they stop in front of her apartment.

Lydia: You don't have to say that.
Parry: I never say anything I have to.
Lydia: No, I mean you don't have to say nice things to me. It's old-fashioned, considering what we're about to do.
Parry: What are we about to do?
Lydia: You're walking me home. I think you're a little attracted to me. And you'll probably want to come upstairs for some coffee.
Parry: I don't drink coffee.
Lydia: Then we'll probably have a drink. And talk and get to know each other a little better, get comfortable. And then you'll...You'll sleep over.
And in the morning, you'll awake and you'll be distant. And you won't be able to stay for breakfast. Maybe just a cup of coffee.
Parry: I don't drink coffee.
Lydia: And then...we'll exchange phone numbers. And you'll leave...and never call. And I'll go to work and I'll feel so good...for the first hour, and then...ever so slowly, I'll turn into a piece of dirt. I don't know why I'm putting myself through this. It was really nice to meet you. Good night.
Parry: Good night.
Excuse me! Wait, just...Sorry. Wait one minute. Excuse me. Please wait.
Lydia: I'm not feeling very well.
Parry: Well, no wonder. We just met, made love and broke up, all in the space of seconds. And I don't remember the first kiss, which is the best part.
Lydia: It was very special to meet you.
Parry: It was for me too, but I think it's time you should shut up now. Shut up. Please? I'm not coming up to your apartment. That was never my intention.
Lydia: You don't want to.
Parry: Oh, no, I want to. I have a hard-on for you the size of Florida. But I don't want just one night. I have a confession I have to make to you.
Lydia: You're married? You're divorced? You have a disease?
Parry: No, please stop. I'm in love with you. And not just from tonight. I've known you for a long time. I know that you come out from work
and fight your way out that door. You get pushed back in, and then
you come back out. I walk with you to lunch. It's a good day if you stop and get that romance novel at that store. I know on Wednesdays,
you go to that dim sum parlour. And I know that you get a jawbreaker
before you go back into work. And I know you hate your job and you don't have many friends. Sometimes you feel uncoordinated, and you don't feel as wonderful as everybody else. Feeling as alone and separate as you feel you are... I love you. I love you. I think you're the greatest thing since spice racks. I'd be knocked out if I could just have that first kiss. And I won't be distant. I'll come back in the morning. I'll call you, if you'll let me. But I still don't drink coffee.
Lydia: You're real...aren't you?

-------
It's a little stalker-esque, but it plays well in the movie. I love it.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Wow! I'd forgotten that one Cagliostro. That wonderful bit where he mahes a little sculpture from a champagne bottle top, hands it to her and says "You can find some beautiful things in trash if you look hard enough." Possibly from the same bit of the film as you quoted I think.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

It's a scene soon before it. Damn I love that movie. Why has it never made a special edition like the rest of Gilliam's films? I'm holding out for Blu-Ray.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

The Fisher King is a wonderful movie, and that is a great scene.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

whoa.. kudos on the Fisher King reference. That scene mentioned was such a kwerky (sp) mix of smaltzy romance and base comedy. Loved it.
And let's not forget from the same movie, near the end, when Jeff Bridges returns to the video store and make Mercedes do all the talking ... Love that scene too!
Great choice Cagliostro....
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Tam and I caught this scene from FotR last night and thought it was pretty frickin' hot!

Arwen: Do you remember when we first met?
Aragorn: I thought I had strayed into a dream.
Arwen: Long years have passed....you did not wear the troubles you carry now...do you remember what I told you?
Aragorn: You said you'd bind yourself to me - forsaking the immortal life of your people.
Arwen: And to that I hold! I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the Ages of this world alone....I choose a mortal life. (and while saying this she gives him the Evenstar necklace)
Aragorn: You cannot give me this!
Arwen: It is mine to give to whom I will....like my heart.
fall far and well Pilots!
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

The "As Time Goes By" scene on the under-renovation floor of the hotel in What's Up, Doc? Barbra Streisand (presumably nude under the painting dropcloth on the piano) seducing Ryan O'Neil...

"Who's Eunice?"
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw

Return to “Flicks”