Tears in my eyes..

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Damn...almost all of those listed, and more [there's a cluster of them just in the section of Ghaddi/Kemper/Sandgorgons]
Best I can do and keep it short is: Very first one that got me..."one word story" scene with Foamfollower.
One that made me say "This
Spoiler
fucker
Donaldson got me AGAIN," second chronicles, TC meets the Giants for the first time...I can't even think about that one without it happening all over again.
Thing is, there're a few "moments" like this in the "Gap" series, too...I expect it in good fantasy, really took me by surprise in SF.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

One scene which nobody has mentioned yet is the aftermath of the burning of Soaring Woodhelven and the subsequent battle. Perhaps this is because, as well as being moving, the scene also included arguably Covenant's most gratuitously insufferable behaviour of the entire Chronicles. After almost thirty years since my first reading of the First Chronicles, and after eventually being able to "get" why, given his leper's and Unbeliever's perspective, Covenant responds the way he does to the people of the Land and their predicament, I still feel like Covenant would have driven me to break my own Oath of Peace had I been present at the scene.
soft one
Ramen

Post by soft one »

wayfriend wrote:That being said,
Spoiler
I thought the Final C's lacked "tears in my eyes" moments altogether; I'd be curious to see where others found some.
The closest I've found in TFC was --
Spoiler
When Stave sides with Linden and gets the crap beaten out of him for it.
That being said, there are WAY more tear-producing moments in any one of the previous 6 books than there are in both books of TFC combined.
Covenant turned in time to see a short figure detach itself from the burning mud, step queasily onto the hard ground.

The figure was scarcely taller than the skest, and shaped like them, a misborn child without eyes or any other features. But it was made of mud. Flames flickered over it as it climbed from the fire, then died away, leaving a dull brown creature like a sculpture poorly wrought in clay. Reddish pockets embedded in its form glowed dully.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Vraith wrote:"one word story" scene with Foamfollower.
My God! Yes - I had forgotten about the one word story. Possiblt the first 'tear jerker' in the series. (Unless of course someone can come up with an earlier one?)
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

soft one wrote:
wayfriend wrote:That being said,
Spoiler
I thought the Final C's lacked "tears in my eyes" moments altogether; I'd be curious to see where others found some.
The closest I've found in TFC was --
Spoiler
When Stave sides with Linden and gets the crap beaten out of him for it.
That being said, there are WAY more tear-producing moments in any one of the previous 6 books than there are in both books of TFC combined.
Yea, I agree with this...but I think it's related to the necessities of the story as a whole [all the Chronicles as one unit, and the complexity of ending it all coherently, yet adding new ideas/material, while still staying true to the previous books]. I'll be surprised, and disappointed, if we don't see more of them in the next two books...a few hints/actions have me a little wound up.
There are three in Last Chron. that I recall entering this territory for me:
Spoiler
Stave's judgement that Linden feared so much...think that's the same one already mentioned.
Linden healing the troops in the past...though that one scared me, too...hinted at the absolutes in her character.
Linden slapping TC. I think everyone pissed off by it has missed the point, and the cause.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
wayfriend wrote:
That being said,
Spoiler
Spoiler
Linden being the main character.
Amazing how I totally agree with HLT here...
:wink:
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

rusmeister wrote:
High Lord Tolkien wrote:
wayfriend wrote:
That being said,
Spoiler
Spoiler
Linden being the main character.
Amazing how I totally agree with HLT here...
:wink:
We found our common ground! :beer:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
jackgiantkiller
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by jackgiantkiller »

Got to be when Bannor leaves TC for the last time, also when in the 2nd chron when the hurichi leave, TC says they would serve him and they reply'have we not' bohoo
Herem
Stonedownor

Post by Herem »

Where to start? This passage from WGW always gets the tears going:
When he looked up again, he was smiling with love - a smile which belonged to her and no one else. Tears streaked his face as he went to the door and closed it, shutting out the consequences of wild magic and venom. Then from the doorway he said thickly, "I wish I could've believed you were going to say that. I would've told Cail to bring us some blankets."

But the safe gutrock of Revelstone enclosed them with solace, and they did not need blankets.
"I desire to be understood"
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

.....Cont'd

"..... making do instead with clingor face mask, half a mug of sunflower oil and a cucumber borrowed from the kitchen."

(Strike out from the original ms with note in Lesters handwriting "What the F....! Donaldson - get your hairy arse down to my office right this minute you useless piece of .......").

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

LFB: - when Covenant realises Lena didn't go home after he'd raped her - she spent the night alone in her shame and isolation in order for him to get away to Revelstone - that was the first major sacrifice anyone made for TC (and before the 'one word story'.)
- Also the Unfettered One's attach of the Ur-Viles with all the animals
- The slaughter at Soaring Woodhelvin, the 'warping' of Pietten and Llaura.
TIE: - The Ranyhyn who was so badly wounded in the Sarangrave on the trek to Seareach that the others chose to end his suffering.
-the slaughter of the Giants
But I suppose what gets me the most in the 1st Chrons (when I think about it) is how badly Trell and Atiaran, Lena and Elena suffer..

I am going to begin the 2nd Chrons in a month (hopefully) but the first thing that comes to mind when I think about what touches me from it the most are Hamako and then Mistweave. There are many more and I am looking forward to reliving them.

As for the Final Chrons, there are several passages which do move me that I won't go into, but from what I understand the plot is far more complex than the previous Chrons, and by the end I expect us to have many more of those moments. They just require a bigger build-up.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
hpty603
Woodhelvennin

Post by hpty603 »

I haven't seen the scene from ToT in The Ghaddi's Punishment where Hergrom is, against all odds, beating the Sand Gorgon and then it slams him into the wall
There was nothing Hergrom could do. He was caught between the Sandgorgon and the hard stone. Tremors like hints of an earthquake shuddered throughout the wall.
The beast stepped out of Hergrom's grasp, and he slumped to the ground. His chest had been crushed. For a moment, he continued to breath in a wheeze of blood and pain, torturing his ruptured lungs, his pierced heart. As white and featureless as fate, the Sandgorgon regarded him as if wondering where to place the next blow.
Then a spasm brought dark red fluid gushing from his mouth. Linden saw the thews of his life snap. He lay still.
The finality of "He lay still." always choked me up

Linden should have quailed. His certainty was as bitter as the touch of a Raver: it should have defeated her. But it did not. How often had she heard Lord Foul or his servants prophesy destruction, attempting to impose despair? And how often had Thomas Covenant shown her that it was possible to stand upright under the weight of utter hopelessness?
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Good call. The death of any harauchi is always a shattering event - you somehow cannot believe it could happen.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Borillar
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Borillar »

The end of the fight between Covenant and Elena at the end of PTP really got to me, when Triock's last words are to try to forgive Covenant. Wow.
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

Seriously, reading the Covenant novels is like taking a drug like ecstasy, only it makes you sad in the surreal, acceptable way that X makes you happy. Something like that, anyway.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”