Obscure 60s-70s-ish bands

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

Captain Beyond, H. P. Lovecraft, Hot Tuna, Pentagram, Uriah Heep and Blue Cheer all rule.

I would add Leaf Hound, Flower Travellin Band, The Human Instinct (GREAT New Zealand band) and Budgie. I don't think Hawkwind count as obscure, but hardly anyone I know seems to have heard of them...

My mate has a blog which deals specifically with this subject, where he collects mixes of his favourite obscure 60's and 70's bands (mostly in the heavy rock/psych vein) and makes them available for download. He also hosts others mixes...so its a veritable treasure trove. Anyone interested in this stuff would do well to check it out at:

aftersabbath.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to the bottom for the first one.
The Day after the Sabbath I

01. Captain Beyond - Mesmerization Eclipse - 1972
02. Carmen Maki & Blues Creation - Understand - 1970
03. Jerusalem - Primitive Man - 1972
04. Sir Lord Baltimore - Helium Head - 1970
05. Tear Gas - Woman For Sale - 1971
06. UFO - Prince Kajuku - 1971
07. Bloodrock - Melvin Laid An Egg - 1970
08. Ancient Grease - Women And Children First - 1970
09. Iota - Love Come Wicked - 1969
10. Night Sun - Living With The Dying - 1972
11. Bang - Humble - 1972
12. Buffalo - Sunrise - 1973
13. Leaf Hound - Freelance Fiend - 1971
14. Jericho - Kill Me With Your Love - 1972
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Wow! I didn't know UFO dated that far back--that was even before Michael Schenker joined the band in '73. I assumed that a certain portion of Scorpions fans and fans in general knew of Schenker-era UFO, which is why I didn't consider it obscure-but pre-Michael is definitely obsurce!

Hawkwind is pretty much unknown in the US--probably not to many fantasy fans as they provided the musical interludes for the famous read-by Zelazny-himself audiobook Chronicles of Amber series.
fall far and well Pilots!
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

Yea Hawkwind are the tits.

Here's a pre-Schenker vid of UFO playing Prince Kajuku:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WokOMz3ua4U&feature=related

Leaf Hound - Growers of Mushroom - 1970:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7LYkZggSe4

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I'm pretty sure, not positive, I saw UFO warm-up band for Rush in 70's. Sure I saw them with someone.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

That's a cool vid--unfortunately Bolton can't hold a candle to Schenker-the Schenker version is a one hundred times better...
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

The United States of America
www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0cuX0WSdhg
West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZAzUBwVj5E&p=6 ... 1&index=38
Strawberry Alarm Clock
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZAzUBwVj5E&p=6 ... 1&index=38
The Magic Mushrooms
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDHIBIKCghQ
Quintessence
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DiCJyFpmk4
Do Love count as obscure?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yVBMUXr4xo
The Horslips (as someone else has mentioned :biggrin: )
www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5oNd6RziDo
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

(You have the same West Coast link under SAC)

The Strawberry Alarm Clock is very well known in the US, I think Incense and Peppermints has been played to death and beyond! :P
Last edited by danlo on Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

danlo wrote:(You have the same West Coast link under SAC)

The Strawberry Alarm Clock is very well know in the US, I think Incense and Peppermints has been played to death and beyond! :P
You are right, kinda. That song is well known [over-known?] But it's like only knowing "The Wall" and thinking you know anything at all about Pink Floyd.
Or, better analogy, knowing the Power Station/Palmer version of "Bang a Gong (Get it On)" and thinking you know T. Rex, and what bang a gong means.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

oops sorry about the link but it was only for that over-player (!) song anyway. That does surprise me though!

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I know, I'll listen to more SAC. It's sad the way some artists are only known for one song. It's weird in fact-if it wasn't for overall popularity and body of work this would be what Janis Joplin, Neil Young and Jimi Hendrix would be remembered for (their only top ten hits): Me and Bobbie McGee (written by Kris Kristofferson), Heart of Gold and Purple Haze...

Phases a longevity of a band too..for instance there's a huge difference between Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac and Bob Welch FM and an even bigger one with Peter Green FM (If it wasn't for Green Manalishi nobody [at least in the states] would have any idea he ever existed) .
Last edited by danlo on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

This is pretty cool: www.roadburn.com/2010/09/heavy-70s-lege ... tival-2011
Heavy 70s Legends Incredible Hog To Reunite For Roadburn Festival 2011

Roadburn is very proud to present the first performance by heavy 70s legends Incredible Hog in over 35 years. Incredible Hog will appear at the Midi Theatre on Friday, April 15th 2011 as part of the Roadburn Festival. Sunn O)))‘s curated event will be held on the same day at the 013 venue.

Pairing prog, proto hard rock and meaningful lyrics with the very soul of metallic drivin’ acid blues, the London-based trio released their debut album Volume 1 in mid ’73. Despite the buzz surrounding their debut and critical acclaim, commercial success proved out of reach. Apparently, Volume 1 was too ahead of its time to catch on with a larger audience. This, along with record label apathy, forced the band to fold before the year was over.
Streaming mp3s on site.

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Vraith wrote:I'm pretty sure, not positive, I saw UFO warm-up band for Rush in 70's. Sure I saw them with someone.
Probably the Farewell to Kings tour, between September and November 1977.

www.test4echo.net/rush_tour_dates.htm
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
utopia123
Servant of the Land

Post by utopia123 »

danlo wrote: if you play Hello It's Me those same people will immediately say, "Todd Rundgren" having no clue that the Nazz originally released it.
I stumbled across this post, while trying to find a copy of the song where Todd is doing a sound check before the opening rift. The condescension of calling people clueless, from a person who is clueless, forced me to join this site JUST to respond:

The reason these people say Todd Rundgren is because they actually do have a clue. Rundgren wrote the song AND was the lead guitarist of Nazz when they recorded (along with Carson Van Osten, Thom Mooney and Robert "Stewkey" Antoni).

The album, NAZZ, was released in 1967 and track #4 is listed as ""Hello It's Me" (Rundgren) – 3:57

You might want to get YOUR facts straight before looking down your nose at people...

This post (and correct facts) was provided by someone who actually was around in the 60's and doesn't think woodstock is snoopy's best friend.
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

utopia123 wrote: I stumbled across this post, while trying to find a copy of the song where Todd is doing a sound check before the opening rift.
RIFF :P.

I don't think anyone was doing any nose-looking-downing. But thanks for the corrections. Rock n' roll history is a serious business.

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

You completely misunderstood me guy.

That was exactly my point utopia--I KNOW Rundgren was the songwriter and the lead guitarist of the Nazz I know he wrote Hello It's Me, and I'm not looking down my nose at anyone. All I was saying is that Todd is SO well known for doing that song ON HIS OWN (as opposed to people who follow 'oldies' IDing Open My Eyes as THE NAZZ) that even when people hear the original done by THE NAZZ (with Rundgren) they don't identify it as THE NAZZ simply Todd Rundgren AS the solo artist that he has been ever since THE NAZZ broke up, yes it was originally released as by the GROUP THE NAZZ. (Before anyone knew who Rundgren was). THAT was my point.

I was around in the '60 too and YOU might want to look at my Rundgren thread, before you start jumping down people's throats.
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

New comp added to that site for those interested. Proto-doom (Sabbathy) stuff mainly.

aftersabbath.blogspot.com/2010/10/doom-that-time-forgot-vol-5.html

Track listing:
01. Angel - Tower (1975)
02. Freedom - Dusty Track (1970)
...03. Help - Oh My (1971)
04. Wicked Lady - Wicked Lady (1972)
05. Rare Bird - Hammerhead (1970)
06. Askan - Take these Chains (1972)
07. Yesterday & Today - Struck Down (1977)
08. Funkadelic - Super Stupid (1971)
09. Peacepipe - The Sun Won't Shine Forever (1968)
10. Blues Creation - Demon and Eleven Children (1971)
12. Icecross - Jesus Freaks (1973)
13. Tractor - All Ends Up (1972)
Chur.

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

The Hawkwind/Fantasy thing was very real but mainly involved Michael Moorcock. Both loosely collaberated with Rodney Matthews (a sort of upmarket Roger Dean) who produced a series of posters which adorned countless college dorm walls; The Ice Ship, Tanelorn etc.

Here's a quote from Wiki on the relationship and Moorcock's input to Hawkwind and elsewhere.........
Moorcock collaborated with the British rock band Hawkwind on many occasions: The Hawkwind track "The Black Corridor", for example, included verbatim quotes from Moorcock's novel of the same name, and he worked with the band on their album Warrior on the Edge of Time. Moorcock also penned the lyrics to "Sonic Attack", a Sci-Fi send-up of the public information broadcast, that was part of Hawkwind's Space Ritual set. Hawkwind's album The Chronicle of the Black Sword was largely based on the Elric novels. Moorcock appeared on stage with the band occasionally during the Black Sword tour. His contributions were removed from the original release of the Live Chronicles album, recorded on this tour, due to legal reasons, but has subsequently appeared on some double CD versions. He can also be seen performing on the DVD version of Chronicle of the Black Sword.

Moorcock also collaborated with former Hawkwind frontman and resident poet, Robert Calvert (who gave the chilling declamation of "Sonic Attack"), on Calvert's albums Lucky Leif and the Longships and Hype.
......also:
Moorcock has his own music project, which records under the name Michael Moorcock & The Deep Fix. The first album New Worlds Fair was released in 1975. The album included a number of Hawkwind regulars in the credits. A second version of the album Roller Coaster Holiday was issued in 2004. In 2008, The Entropy Tango & Gloriana Demo Sessions was released. These were sessions for planned albums based on two of his novels: Glorianna and The Entropy Tango. The albums were never completed. (The Deep Fix was the title story of an obscure collection of short stories by James Colvin published in the 1960s. The Deep Fix was also the fictional band fronted by Moorcock's character Jerry Cornelius.)

Moorcock wrote the lyrics to three album tracks by the American band Blue Öyster Cult: "Black Blade", referring to the sword Stormbringer in the Elric books, "Veteran of the Psychic Wars" showing us Elric's emotions at a critical point of his story (this song may also refer to the "Warriors at the Edge of Time," which figure heavily in Moorcock's novels about John Daker; at one point his novel The Dragon in the Sword they call themselves the "veterans of a thousand psychic wars"), and "The Great Sun Jester", about his friend, the poet Bill Butler, who died of a drug overdose. Moorcock has performed live with BÖC (in 1987 at the Atlanta, GA Dragon Con Convention) and Hawkwind.

Moorcock appeared on five tracks on the Spirits Burning CD Alien Injection, released in 2008. He is credited with singing lead vocals and playing guitar and mandolin. The performances used on the CD were from the The Entropy Tango & Gloriana Demo Sessions.
On another note, I'm amazed that nobody has chosen to make Elric into a big budget feature film, the character is a source for so many traits of anti-heroes and especially the emo/vampire genre.
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Stone Magnet wrote:Captain Beyond, H. P. Lovecraft, Hot Tuna, Pentagram, Uriah Heep and Blue Cheer all rule.

I would add Leaf Hound, Flower Travellin Band, The Human Instinct (GREAT New Zealand band) and Budgie. I don't think Hawkwind count as obscure, but hardly anyone I know seems to have heard of them...
Had forgotten about Budgie!

Never heard of Pentagram but I'm sure there was a band called Pentangle.
Do Caravan count as obscure? ?
Don't know, but I remember them and has anyone mentioned Camel?
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

finn wrote: Had forgotten about Budgie!

Never heard of Pentagram but I'm sure there was a band called Pentangle.
Budgie are freakin awesome.

Pentagram started in '71 but didn't really release an album until 1985...so if you're a child of the 70's I'm not surprised you haven't heard of them. If you like Sabbath and Uriah Heep in a very dirty blender you might dig em.

Sign of the Wolf: www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXck-YAMvfY

The Dead Weather (Jack White from the White Stripes other band) also did a cover of "Forever my Queen". It's actually not too bad, apart from the chick vocals :P. I prefer the original of course but hey: www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI_cYuoZayA

They also do a great cover of Captain Beyond's "Dancing Madly Backwards (on a Sea of Air)" on the latest comp my mates put together, along with a bunch of great 70's obscurities...

aftersabbath.blogspot.com/2010/10/day-after-sabbath-29-hard-rock-heaven.html
Welcome to Volume 29 of TDATS. Blodwyn Pig kick off with a frantic track, they were founded by guitarist–vocalist–songwriter Mick Abrahams, after he left Jethro Tull in 1968 due to a falling-out with Tull leader Ian Anderson. Fraction include an intense vocal performance reminiscent of Jim Morrison. Stonehouse were a UK band that only recorded one album 'Stonehouse Creek', they show an english take on southern hard rock. The Stampeders are a wild card here, they were a canadian country band that pulled out all the stops for just one song, and here it is. Good rats had some success in the US, cutting their teeth in Long Island’s thriving club scene, along with other notable names such as Twisted Sister. Jodo enter with their big, direct no-nonsense bluesy grooves that get straight to the point and drill you into submission. Legs Diamond sound like an American take on Deep Purple, featuring driving keys from Michael Prince. A brilliant cover, by a brilliant band, of a brilliant song from another brilliant band, that is all I can say about track 12. And to the end...a bit of fun with a re-appearance of Blodwyn Pig to see us off into hard rock heaven.

01. Blodwyn Pig - Worry (1970)
02. Fresh Blueberry Pancake - Clown On A Rope (1970)
03. Fraction - Come Out Of Her (1971)
04. Humble Pie - Four Day Creep (1971)
05. Doc Rockit - Circle of Stone (1979)
06. Stonehouse - Cheater / Topaz (1971)
07. The Stampeders - Wild Eyes (1974)
08. Good Rats - Phil Fleish (1974)
09. Jodo - I'm Still Trying (1971)
10. Legs Diamond - Come With Me (1977)
11. Dark - R.C. 8 (1972)
12. Pentagram - Dancing Madly Backwards (On A Sea Of Air) (1999)
13. Blodwyn Pig - Long Bomb Blues (1970)

Return to “Vespers”