an in depth analysis of "From Genesis to Revelation.&qu

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

an in depth analysis of "From Genesis to Revelation.&qu

Post by Lord Zombiac »

Growing up I listened to Rock radio with a bit of trepidation. Many artists made me cringe and turn the radio off, and it wasn't long before I did without it completely and started tuning in to the Rice University radio station ("Treasures of the 60's" was my favorite show, along with some of the punk and experimental stuff they played).
One of the artists I did not like, and still really have no use for, was Phil Collins. I found his music to be garishly sentimental, overproduced, and unimaginatively contemporary. The Genesis songs that I heard on the radio were no exception. I looked at people who suggested Phil Collins could replace John Bonham in a new Led Zeppelin line up (there were rumors of this at the time) as if they were crazy or from Mars.
If there was any artist on the radio I could point to as the antithesis of rock and roll it was Phil Collins. In short, everything I feel about Phil Collins is summed up in the South Park Episode "Timmy 2000."
But people urged me to listen to the early works of Genesis, when Peter Gabriel was the lead singer. I always liked Peter Gabriel and decided to give it a whirl. Still no dice. The music was far better, but made no impression on me.
Then one day I bought the first album "From Genesis to Revelation."
Why, I do not know. I thought I had heard enough to get a good understanding of Genesis. Probably because this seemed, just from the artwork to be a concept album and I have always loved concept albums.
Now at them time I was an avid Bee Gees listener, so my first impression was solidly positive. Peter Gabriel sounded exactly like Robin Gibb! Especially on "the Silent Sun."
There was really too much for me to take in all at once, but I could tell this was an awesome album, and absolutely different from anything I had ever heard from Genesis. It bridged the gap between innocent, sugary sweet British pop and Prog rock wonderfully.
Knowing there was much more to this album than I could comprehend, and after returning to pot and alcohol after ten years of "straitedge" punk sobriety I chose this album to be the accompanying music for my first LSD trip.
This is when the albums grandiose scale and startling originality blew me away. Lyrically, Peter Gabriel had attempted no less than the entire mythic history of the human race, from the amazing celestial birth of man, to a dystopian future when man had achieved, and was tormented by eternal life.
My favorite song right off the bat was "Am I very wrong" whose title alone intrigued me. The arrangement, with lavish use of acoustic guitar and horns was stunning, as were the reverb drenched backing vocals. The concept of the song itself was a microcosm of narrative. In it we see a horrific vision of eternal life from the viewpoint of a lone, bitter person being sung to on his birthday by "the happiness machine."
The refrain builds up at the end into a frenzied coda where Peter Gabriel repeats "they say, never end!" as the backup vocals sing "we hope your life will never end..." Peter sounds more lonely and desperate with each repetition of the final lyric, as it fades away.
Awesome.
Next I loved "the Serpent" with its Delightful guitar riff and otherworldly re-expression of the creation myth, poignantly punctuated by mankind's classic nemesis, the Serpent-- the Bible's first embodiment of Satan, who is the archetype of every fantasy antagonist from Sauron to Lord Foul.
Again Peter Gabriel's passionate voice brims with stark, dramatic emotion as he seductively sings, "Man is wonderful, very wonderful look at him..." and then utters a prophetic spit in the face of damnation: "Beware the future!"
In the glorious instant I could envision every darkness in human mythology. From demons and ghosts, from dystopian science fiction, to Darth Vader, and yes, to Lord Foul.
Temptation, betrayal, and a legacy of suffering were all expressed in a few simple lyrics.
"fireside song" hints of moments of peace and hope that cling to mankind throughout this vast cosmic struggle. It is minimalist and beautiful. In it we hear the spirits of trees and "nature's creatures."
"In the wilderness" becomes more powerful with each listening. It contains lyrics that Peter Gabriel would later revisit in "Games without frontiers." It contains such crystalline imagery as "raindrops falling down on rooftops." The piano riff is an exquisite melody, and the chorus is vibrant and haunting-- "Music! All I hear is music!" and as beautiful as it is this too is offset by one of the tragedies of existence, the futility of an overbearing and alienating work ethic: "as the people run their lives and their lives are run by time."
This is as meaningful and profound as lyrics get. Delightfully melodic and hard to erase from your mind once you've heard them.
Everything about this album is awesome and there is not a single forgettable or superfluous song.
Also, to my own private satisfaction, I read the liner notes and discovered that Phil Collins appeared nowhere on this album!
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Your in-depth analysis has too much Phil Collins hate for me. Is there a point here? Other than you hate Phil, which we get. John Mayhew was the drummer on Genesis' 2nd album Trespass, so you might enjoy that one. Then again, Genesis was moving towards the band they ended up becoming, so you might not. Phil was an amazing drummer, and excellent vocalist. If it weren't for Phil, when Gabriel left, Genesis would have broke up, and you might never have heard of From Genesis To Revelation, much less to it. They only sold 650 copies of it; most people never heard of it until Genesis became huge, and that wasn't until Phil took over. I enjoy the album for what it is, mostly similar to their influences (like the BeeGees), with hints of who Genesis would turn out to be. While it definitely has that '60's psychedelic vibe to it, there's no need to take LSD or any other equally moronic substance to enjoy it.
Last edited by dANdeLION on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

I deliberately avoided the word hate out of respect for those who admire him. Are we not free to like and dislike artists and respectfully disagree?
No, this was just a story of how I adventured out of my normal listening and found something amazing.
I thought it might have some value. Offer some insight into the brilliance of the album.
But what do I know, since I have taken LSD in my lifetime and am therefore a "druggie."
Heaven forbid I actually learned something from the experience like Terrence McKenna.
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Oh, you deliberately avoided the word "hate". How could I have missed that?

Anyway, your analysis was good; I just don't see why I need to know who you hate and what drugs you've taken in order to understand it.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

Just thought I'd add a little context. You know it was a journey of discovery for me.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

You're probably right. I'm having a mother of a toothache and the whole Phil thing has been a crusade of mine for a while. The drug thing's something I've lost family over, so that's another issue. I'm not even a real fan of Phil's solo work; I just think he's a great drummer and fine front man for Genesis (tho Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance do nothing for me). By the way, the final Genesis album Calling All Stations has no Phil on it. I have to say, it stands apart from the middle albums just like From Genesis To Revelations; they make fitting bookends.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

Wonderful! I will happily listen to it! :D
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Without a doubt I much prefer Gabriel Genesis, but I've still always liked Collins' drumming and background vocals. Two of my favorite post-Peter albums are Trick of the Tale and And Then There Were Three...I agree the stuff after is way to commercial and slockish with certain exceptions like Home By the Sea and Tonight, Tonight, Tonight. There were, to me, three events in a row that turned me off to Collins; Follow You, Follow Me was definitely a red flag and ATTWT would have been perfectly fine w/o it. Then his song for the movie Against All Odds, yuk...and finally the grossly overplayed-sledgehammer (sorry Pete, LOL) : In the Air Tonight--aaahhh ye gods I can still hear that dam thing! Duke and abacab were way too cute, and, sorry, Genesis has never really struck me as 'cute".

I did, however love Phil's work in Brand X and some of the percussion innovations he made for both the movie and the play Tarzan should be noted.
fall far and well Pilots!
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I have a love-hate with Phil. [don't think I like a single solo thing he's done...but "Mother?" just stellar...and the rest of that album was decent, too].
He was a FUN showman when he was younger [haven't seen him live since early 80's] which is different than Gabriel who's intense live. [Despite more "popish" stuff on "So," the concert was abso-fing-lutely amazing.
Sledgehammer was overplayed, yes...but also a multi-faceted little ditty].

I think Phil had it in him to do more...some artists have the potential to expand the audience/variety of pop instead of jumping into its pool, and he could have been one .
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Vraith wrote:I have a love-hate with Phil. [don't think I like a single solo thing he's done...but "Mother?" just stellar...and the rest of that album was decent, too]..
Mama, not Mother. Mother was the Police. Both songs kick ass, tho.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

___ wrote:
Vraith wrote:I have a love-hate with Phil. [don't think I like a single solo thing he's done...but "Mother?" just stellar...and the rest of that album was decent, too]..
heh...color me embarassed...[kinda like been mispronouncing Niel Peart's name all my life]
I know he sings mama, but I thought the title was "Mother."
The two songs do have a similarity in frantic tone though, don't they?
Make a nice trio with the Disturbed tune...
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

danlo wrote:Without a doubt I much prefer Gabriel Genesis, but I've still always liked Collins' drumming and background vocals. Two of my favorite post-Peter albums are Trick of the Tale and And Then There Were Three...I agree the stuff after is way to commercial and slockish with certain exceptions like Home By the Sea and Tonight, Tonight, Tonight. There were, to me, three events in a row that turned me off to Collins; Follow You, Follow Me was definitely a red flag and ATTWT would have been perfectly fine w/o it. Then his song for the movie Against All Odds, yuk...and finally the grossly overplayed-sledgehammer (sorry Pete, LOL) : In the Air Tonight--aaahhh ye gods I can still hear that dam thing! Duke and abacab were way too cute, and, sorry, Genesis has never really struck me as 'cute".

I did, however love Phil's work in Brand X and some of the percussion innovations he made for both the movie and the play Tarzan should be noted.
Pretty much agree with all you said... I didn't like most of ATTWT at first but it has grown on me. Trick and Wind & Wuthering are for the most part almost as enjoyable as any Gabriel-era. The events that really turned me off to the PC version of Genesis (hmm, that just made a nice pun), besides FYFM were Misunderstanding (at the show we sang "There must be some Misunderstanding / I thought this was a Genesis show...") and on the '82 tour when they followed Supper's Ready with No Reply. That was just a painful moment.

But there have been songs I've enjoyed on just about all of the later Phil albums... the Duke suite, Lurker, Keep it Dark (possibly inspired by The Chronicles), Home by the Sea (almost definitely), Mama, Land of Confusion, Domino, even a couple on Calling All Stations.

Lord Z, thanks for your interesting take on FGTR. I've never really liked it much but you've inspired me to take a relisten.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Interesting. I agree that it's not necessary to indulge in substances in order to hear and enjoy a music's power (but that's me). I love early Genesis, everything from their arrangement, lyrics, time signatures .. all of it. even the early sappy stuff had something extra that just doesn't exist today. And, say what you will about post-Gabriel Phil Collins, the man could drum! excellent drummer.
The funny thing is, I also have "Genesis to Revelations" and listened to it many times, but, man, I was upset (with myself?) that except for some interesting lyrics, the album did not hold my attention. It seemed to me to be the 'genesis' of the great things that would come (and did).

Enjoyed your personal analysis LZ.
:)
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Getting back to From Genesis To Revelation, I was wondering if you guys got the 2 disk version. It has 21 tracks, plus an interview at the end. My copy is from 2000, and I know I've seen a newer version out, but I don't know if it has everything mine does (or more).
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Let me first say that this is not aimed at you LZ, its a disagreement in taste and I am aiming more at the faceless millions than at any individual.

"I hate Phil Collins" has become the correct thing to say; taking the position of disliking the guy is as middle of the road as you can get. But in the scheme of things he's a juggernaut; I accept that as well as his good stuff he's done some some really ordinary stuff, his output of both good an bad makes me liken him a bit to McCartney who just churns stuff out, great and horrible alike, with little in the way of a quality control button, at least not since Lennon died.

Whilst overall I like the majority of Collin’s stuff, I do think he lost his counterpoint after Gabriel left and has gone where the whim and the fawning record companies have led him, happy to release whatever has come to mind or whatever fancy he’s wanted to indulge. Sting was the same for a while (imo) and I reckon Bono's only saving grace is the Edge, keeping the worst parts of his pseud-ery in check.

But it’s got to be hard to keep perspective when everyone around you is saying what they think you want to hear and all you want is someone to say "y'know Phil, I think this one is crap". However it’s hardly suprising that there were few willing to tell him his big horn sound and his first two solo albums were crap, because just about every western household on the planet had purchased copies! His albums were a smash and the Genesis “brand” took off with albums and tours sold out. Now he’s everybody pet hate and you’re not cool unless you hate Phil Collins.

In a strange and ironic way he’s become the “Duchess”

I have no problem with people liking or disliking any performer, but most of the music world cried out his praises for keeping Genesis going after Gabriel and most of the world audience heaped praise on his solo work and his shows, complete with all manner of top performers who were happy to share a stage with him. The world of entertainment is a fickle place tho’ and the same people who sang his praises and elevated everything he did to such exalted heights are the very same people who have castigated the man to the point where he’s given it away. He’s not the first either, ask Springsteen.

I’ve always seen Phil Collins to be an honest, hard working performer: mucho energy, sweat and real love has gone into just about whatever he's done. He's worked hard as a performer: I saw Genesis a good few times and I never saw him give less than 100% and value for money. I can’t recall him bad mouthing other artists even when they have given him heaps, or cancelling gigs because he has to go to re-hab or is too off his face to turn up to work and do his job. Perhaps if he'd been lazy, a real bastard or killed himself off through his own stupidity he'd be adornig every 16 years olds T-shirts.

I think the biggest problem has been that he’s done too much; he's been too successful. He’s on the radio, MTV, in the elevator, supermarket, at the video shop and even on the videos! I like strawberries but not 5 pounds at one time….too much makes you sick. I reckon that before too long the mainstream will start to shy away and then after a while everyone will miss 'Can't hurry Love' and Sussudio' and his stuff will become popular again albeit as nostalgia.

I think I'm going to buck the trend and will be really, really trendy and be the first one to say “Me?........I like Phil Collins”.
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I like Phil Collins a whole lot. Maybe the best pop music out there. Very pleasant, good melodies, yadda yadda. (The Roof is Leaking is not so pop-ish, and is the song that got me interested in him in the first place.) I'm not rabid about him, but I think he's great.

Peter Gabriel is among the greatest ever. All over the map. Complex. Brilliant. I am rabid about him. Genesis with him is very good stuff, but his solo work is as good as it gets.

Vraith wrote:
___ wrote:
heh...color me embarassed...[kinda like been mispronouncing Niel Peart's name all my life]
How about John Lennon's? :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Fist and Faith wrote:I like Phil Collins a whole lot. Maybe the best pop music out there. Very pleasant, good melodies, yadda yadda. (The Roof is Leaking is not so pop-ish, and is the song that got me interested in him in the first place.) I'm not rabid about him, but I think he's great.

Peter Gabriel is among the greatest ever. All over the map. Complex. Brilliant. I am rabid about him. Genesis with him is very good stuff, but his solo work is as good as it gets.

Vraith wrote:
___ wrote: Mama, not Mother. Mother was the Police. Both songs kick ass, tho.
How about John Lennon's? :D
Hmmm...and wasn't there a Danzig one? And Floyd, [And L.L. Cool Jay, Aerosmith, Queen, the Stones sort of...not one-word titles].
Could form a cover band and do all songs about mama.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Right? Mother performs Mother, Mother, Mother, Mother, and Mother!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
dANdeLION
Lord

Free to good home

Post by dANdeLION »

I bought a Genesis cd a few weeks back, titled And The Word Was..... Turns out it's a repackage of the From Genesis To Revelation 2 cd release, Though it only has 17 tracks, and the songs are in a different order.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Return to “Vespers”