I'm not alone!

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

na-Mhoram's Grim
Servant of the Land

I'm not alone!

Post by na-Mhoram's Grim »

I work at a car wash (it pays the bills while in college, plus my father owns it) and today I was detailing a car when I noticed that the guy who's car I was working on was reading AATE! While this may not seem like a big deal, I mean the book was released today I'm sure thousands of people are reading it, but it was the first time I came across someone reading any Thomas Covenant. I can't even get my friends into the series, so when I saw this guy I was elated. We talked for a bit (he promptly informed me he had been a fan since before I was born) about the series and our love for it.

Just thought I would share this story because it made my day. Anyone else have an out of the blue run in with a fellow fan?

Plus people more knowledgable than I am, feel free to move this to somewhere more appropriate. The Grim has been known to wander into unwonted places.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

This is as good a place as any :D

I remember talking to a guy that could speak seven languages, play various musical instruments, and was overall a true Renaissance man. For some reason, I asked him if he had read the Chronicles, and he replied by pulling out a white gold wedding ring he wore on a chain around his neck.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

I hope I can get my daughter to read this stuff. I have been on a wondrous journey of re-discovery. I had at one time thought that TC could not have possibly been as good as I remembered it being: I was an impressionable youth. To my astonishment I find it is even better than I remembered it and probably influenced my own writing more than I realized.
The new series is just the icing on the cake. I'm re-reading the whole series right now so that it will be fresh in my mind when I begin the new stuff.
And to think SRD lives a mere three hours away and probably comes to my village to enjoy the natural beauty, just as many in Texas and New Mexico do. Hell I've probably looked strait into that man's eyes without even knowing who he was.
*sigh*
Here I am a gushing fan!
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

:) One time, I could have sworn that I saw him at an Arby's here in Ohio... but such an event seemed very unlikely to me. I pointed him out to a friend that was with me and told him to pick a fight with him. If my friend got his ass kicked, there was a good chance it was Donaldson. He refused... selfish punk :P

To conclude the story, I showed my friend a picture of Donaldson, and he said that the mystery Arby's man did indeed look like him...

Ah, life's mysteries...
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Re: I'm not alone!

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

na-Mhoram's Grim wrote:I work at a car wash (it pays the bills while in college, plus my father owns it) and today I was detailing a car when I noticed that the guy who's car I was working on was reading AATE!
This is more like a "sightings" thread. When I scanned this message I thought for a minute you said his license plate had AATE on it. That would have been memorable. That would have implied - no, screamed - "major SRD fan."

But spotting someone reading a book that is #125 on Amazon overall, at #1 and #2 in two other categories, is not surprising.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Man I'm going to get into trouble for this one. I'm not a Stephen Donaldson fan - I'm a Thomas Covenant fan. Frankly sometimes the guy comes across as a bit of an asshole to me. BUT (thats a big but in case you didn't get it) I don't think much of Piccaso, or Wagner, or Joyce as people either - but their works have enriched the world we live in beyond comprehension. Donaldson has done this for me.

(Quick Picasso story that I love. He was in Paris during the war and a german officer pointed to a replica of his anti-war painting 'Guernica' that they were standing in front of. "Did you do this." the officer asked contemptuously, for the Nazis hated all forms of modern art. "No," Piccaso replied, "You did.")
Last edited by peter on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

What a great story! That is one of my favorite Picasso pieces!
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Wheelwash Whitecap
Stonedownor

I'm not alone

Post by Wheelwash Whitecap »

I saw a car at Walmart in Louisiana one time with a I Love Kevins Watch bumpersticker on it once.

:) It was one of the reasons I found Kevins Watch on the net. :)
Life is just a candle
And a dream must give it flame.
Fountain Of Lamneth

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”