TC and family

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Shadowslance
Servant of the Land

TC and family

Post by Shadowslance »

Okay I've seen a few posts now about people complaining about things that have taken place in the book. The most recent one was how TC handles his wife and his son.

First his son:
TC has just spent how many years as the guardian of the arch of time? He's recently made human, encounters his son, and has bearly a thing to say to him. Can't say that I am surprised. As the arch of time he was privy to everything that has happened. He knows what has gone before and is aware of what his son has done and is doing (even if he is having problems with memory since being reincarnated as human). TC gave his life in defense of the land and his son is attempting to destroy it. I wouldn't have much to say to my son given the same situation. The reason I say this is that you can tell whether someone is repentent for their actions and therefore open to changing their ways. Roger impersonated TC for the purposes of trying to destroy the world in FR. That's hardly someone who is open for the possibility to change and be redeemed.

His wife:
While TC does have a great deal of devotion to Joan, deliverance and redemption are two different things. While he may (haven't read AATE yet still waiting for my copy) have had the opportunity and option to not kill Joan, look at what Joan was bring forced to do with the power that was given to her. She's broken but not in the same way that TC was broken when he came to the land the first time. Her damage is one that can't be fixed with hurtloam and spending time with giants telling stories. As long as Joan, who had been being held captive in the land and tortured causing the casures lived she is a threat. Even if somehow she was restored she was damaged and by killing her he set her free from the pain that she was causing and suffering.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”