AATE First Impressions

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

So I started my re-read last night (one chapter at a time this time), and I must say, chapter 1 is amazing! It's everything I ever loved about the first six Covenant books.

Hopefully things get better for the rest of the book second time around.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

OK, they could have called her simply The Bane (as the book does in places) or maybe, to emphasize her loss of name, the Unnamed.
hue of fuzzpaws
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by hue of fuzzpaws »

Well, it is a long time since I have read a book from cover to cover (even though it is an ebook). Once again Mr Donaldson has wrung out tears from me (caused by a certain chapter in Part Two)
"Let's not fight. I don't like fighting" Frostheart Grueburn
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

Madadeva wrote:Yeah - someone pointed out in another post. HP Lovecraft
That was 'She who must be obeyed' but near enough :)
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Aleksandr wrote:OK, they could have called her simply The Bane (as the book does in places) or maybe, to emphasize her loss of name, the Unnamed.
The thing is...though her whole title is a little awkward...the title is a warning. The "Must Not" is important.
The power of names [and not naming], both for good and evil is pretty much as old as writing itself...and very very commonly the invocation of names is:
1) An act of Evil [in itself, or for evil purposes...even naming something Good in the wrong circumstances is Evil]
2) An act of summoning or freeing that brings the thing to you, or turns it loose, or awakens it...but it only calls the thing, doesn't necessarily control it.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Vraith wrote:
Aleksandr wrote:OK, they could have called her simply The Bane (as the book does in places) or maybe, to emphasize her loss of name, the Unnamed.
The thing is...though her whole title is a little awkward...the title is a warning. The "Must Not" is important.
The power of names [and not naming], both for good and evil is pretty much as old as writing itself...and very very commonly the invocation of names is:
1) An act of Evil [in itself, or for evil purposes...even naming something Good in the wrong circumstances is Evil]
2) An act of summoning or freeing that brings the thing to you, or turns it loose, or awakens it...but it only calls the thing, doesn't necessarily control it.
I agree... Names and the knowledge and use there of are very important in this series (keep in mind the Insequent). It's a matter of identity, and whatever the Bane is now, what she would be with her proper identification is something the Elohim really don't want.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
blingdomepiece
Servant of the Land

Post by blingdomepiece »

native wrote:
Madadeva wrote:Yeah - someone pointed out in another post. HP Lovecraft
That was 'She who must be obeyed' but near enough :)
I'll post this again:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastur
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

that would give a whole new meaning to the title Lord Foul's Bane...

Who knows, SWMNBN might even be the means of LF's undoing in the end.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

I didn't like her name either, really. I mean, the whole "you can't know her true name" thing works, and maybe some people could have referred to it occasionally, but there could have surely been another euphemistic name for her that SRD could have used in the narrative.

But I do like the idea of her as a bane, and Elena being sacrificed just to keep them alive a little longer was just really depressing to me (in a good way).
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

While Donaldson has a tendency to focus on classical references rather than pop (see his many explanations of how the use of a Ring predates Tolkien; yet every time you mention a magic ring, people think of LotR), his choice of name for Her was rather unfortunate. Maybe in a few years it won't be as bad, but right now every time I read that phrase I had flashes of HP :(
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
alanm
Ramen

Re: AATE First Impressions

Post by alanm »

dlbpharmd wrote:I'm only 2/3 through the book, and I'm already stunned at the lack of imagination on the part of SRD. "She Who Must Not Be Named?" Why does SRD need MORE villains? He's had Lord Foul, a GOD who has been an awesome antagonist through 2 Chronicles. He's had 3 Ravers, who were responsible for the murder of trees and genocide of the Unhomed. He had ur-viles and Cavewights. He had the Illearth Stone and that great creation of fantasy literature known as the Sunbane. Now we get Mrs. Voldemort? Are you kidding me?

More to come. Disappointed so far. :evil:
totally agree. This book is in a sorry state. It is awful to read but I will plough through it just so that I can say it has been read.

What was SRD thinking when he wrote it?

Return to “Against All Things Ending”