MY GOD YOU PEOPLE! WOT IF THE WATCH B4 WGW

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Fist and Faith wrote:
aliantha wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:Hell, ali sent me a letterbomb, fer Chrissakes!!
Did not! :P

I *did* offer to send you my copy of AATE, tho -- is that what you're talking about? ;)
:haha: No, but that's a great one!

And sorry, Sea. I hate to risk offending the woman with the consistently hottest avatars at the Watch. :mrgreen: But them's the breaks. I have a strong opinion about retroactive continuity in the Chrons. It's fine in comic books. That's the nature of the medium. It's not supposed to be here. The Insequent were bad enough. Not just for the retcon, but for the errors their existence created in the previous books. I don't need to actually read the grandmother of all retcons to know what I think of her.

And none of you seem to understand that I'm not reading it out of self-preservation. The first two Chrons are the best thing I've ever read. The wonder they've brought to my life... The joy... The depth of thought... My love and passion for them can hardly be missed. Try a few of my dissections:
The Spoiled Plains
GILDEN-FIRE
The Search
The Defenders of the Land
The Gaddhi's Punishment

If MM comes back, he'll tell us if I'm still the #1 poster of all time in the first two Chrons forum. I couldn't begin to list posts, but here's a few of my threads:
The Vow's flaw
Haruchai/Zen Master
Two *extremely* cool chapters
Music in TCTC

Even tribute threads:
For the Giants
Let's hear if for Mhoram!
Haruchai "showing" emotion

There's no bigger fan anywhere.

And now, I'm devestated. The Final Chrons have broken my heart. I can't begin to tell you how sad it makes me. I've only spoken out about the things about it that bother me; I haven't said how it all hurts me. The only way for me to deal with it is to ignore it. The Final Chrons never happened. Yeah, I read the first two books. But I can't take any more.

However, I'm done criticizing. I've said all I was driven to say. (OK, maybe a quick shot here or there. :lol:) And, of course, I can't go into any detail about AATE. And, believe it or not, I don't want to tear down the Final Chrons. I hope everyone enjoys it a lot more than I have. So, unless I'm addressed, I'll keep it to providing info when needed.
Wow, man. I am truly saddened at this post. And, in many ways, envious of your passion. Mostly because while these are my favorites stories ever, even when reading others these have always been the ones that most touched, but not on the level that you are describing, where I would be devastated.

The only corrolary I can make is when Feist started the destruction of the Kingdom in the Silver Crown and so forth...the destruction and devastation to me did not seem like it could ever end in happiness for the Kingdom and so I stopped reading. But it never ruined my feelings towards the author or the earlier works in the same sense you are describing.

Hopefully at some point it will heal enough for you to restore your previous love for the Chrons.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

No, it's ok. The first two Chrons are still the best thing ever. I have to truly seperate them from the Final, but I manage. :D If I couldn't, I'd be... I don't know. Lost. Broken. All that stuff. But they still mean as much as they did.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

As far as I remember, you either haven't read the Gap Cycle, or you read it but didn't enjoy it, right Fist?

I think The Gap Cycle is the best thing SRD has ever written, and I find that when I read The Last Chronicles with it in mind they are much more enjoyable.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Re: MY GOD YOU PEOPLE! WOT IF THE WATCH B4 WGW

Post by Revan »

Damelon wrote:
jackgiantkiller wrote:Whinge whinge, I don't like vain he so whatever, oh and that cripple giant cud he be more duh..looser, I hate that findal he just like so got me so mad!!! Whys it so sad like it shud be youknow happy.

Wait till we brits read it ul see a proper analysis
Still whinging about your release date? :P
I'm a brit and I got my copy early; so point that tongue elsewhere. :P ;)

tbh, Linden didn't actually bother me in this book; there was just too much of her and too little Covenant for my taste - the actual character was alright... despite my topic title. :huh:
jackgiantkiller
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by jackgiantkiller »

[mod deleted]
How do you hurt someone who has lost everything? give him back somthing broken.

I dont hate death, I hate life!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Fist is a big boy and can take valid criticism as well as dish it out. However, I am not going to allow any personal attacks or insults against Fist or any other Watch member in this forum.

Let's keep it civil.

dlb
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

variol son wrote:As far as I remember, you either haven't read the Gap Cycle, or you read it but didn't enjoy it, right Fist?

I think The Gap Cycle is the best thing SRD has ever written, and I find that when I read The Last Chronicles with it in mind they are much more enjoyable.
This is very true... sometimes when I see the criticisms here, I say to the screen, "What's wrong with you people? He's just doing what he did in the GAP style-wise!"

So yeah, this Last Chronicles is a sort of Chymical Wedding betwixt the style of the Chronicles and the style of the GAP... come to think of it, didn't Linden say something along the lines of "Soon would be good, now would be better?" Isn't that a Nick Succrusoism? Doesn't Roger just seem to be like Nick?

Anyway, it's still awesome 8)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

Orlion wrote:
variol son wrote:As far as I remember, you either haven't read the Gap Cycle, or you read it but didn't enjoy it, right Fist?

This is very true... sometimes when I see the criticisms here, I say to the screen, "What's wrong with you people? He's just doing what he did in the GAP style-wise!"

So yeah, this Last Chronicles is a sort of Chymical Wedding betwixt the style of the Chronicles and the style of the GAP... come to think of it, didn't Linden say something along the lines of "Soon would be good, now would be better?" Isn't that a Nick Succrusoism? Doesn't Roger just seem to be like Nick?

Anyway, it's still awesome 8)
Like Fist I've a special place in my heart for the First and Second Chronicles, and feel disappointed by the Last. I also love the Gap series. But for me, that does not make the Last Chron's any more cohesive or palatable.

Where SRD succeeds in the Gap, to me, he fails in the Last Chron's. Where in the Gap everything happens for a reason and by an infernal internal logic, in the Last Chron's I cannot comprehend the reasoning behind the gazillion new characters and powers. Who stand in contradiction to what has gone before. Where the Gap feels cohesive, the Last Chron's feel contrived.

As I've stated elsewhere, after the Gap and the amazing Prologue of Runes, I had skyhigh expectations. Yet the plotting and characters have utterly failed to grab me so far. I am still waiting for AATE to arrive from Amazon and looking forward to read it, regardless.
jackgiantkiller
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by jackgiantkiller »

I did not intend to personalise or ridicule anyone on the watch Fist, its just joshing and I apologise if it came over that way. im just envious cos you stateside have read and can analyse and I cant yet. I am to weak and curious to not read the comments in this thread, come on tomorrow!
How do you hurt someone who has lost everything? give him back somthing broken.

I dont hate death, I hate life!
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

Hey Fisty:
First - yeah, I haven't been around much RL is kickin' my butt, having an exchange student is both tiring and invigorating (I feel conflicted, like Esmer..)

Second - I felt the same way when I first started reading the 2nd chrons. I could not believe what SRD did to the land & the Lords, but I kept reading & eventually came to enjoy the 2nd ALMOST as much as the first.
That said, I think I understand you retro-continuity comment but in a way, I enjoy going back in time and getting some of the history of the Land & it's peoples. Granted, sometimes it does seem a bit convenient to throw a flashback/time warp in so the current character can do something and have it make sense, but I still enjoy finding out about where certain characters came from & what thier influences were.

I read TCTC mostly because I like fantasy & the way SRD writes it. I'm not a big Sci-Fi book fan, so I don't read very much of it, including the Gap books (started, did not get into).

So, I say to you, Fist and Faith - you should give the last chrons another try. Get past Linden's whining & the time warp issues & have some fun!!

Ahh...it's good to be back...
Earthy
"You're afraid of yourself."

Return to “Against All Things Ending”