THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, CHAPTER 1

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

kastenessen
Giantfriend

THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER, CHAPTER 1

Post by kastenessen »

Ok, here we go. The dissection of THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS BROTHER...but first a short introduction. It was written between the first and the second chronicles and done so under the pseudonym of Reed Stephens, then it was published in 1980. Only now, after all these years are they being published under his own name... In the omnibus introduction SRD states that he writes these mysteries as he calls them simply because he needs to take himself down to earth after writing the big epic. In this case the first chrons. It follows very closely the life of Mick Axbrewder during a couple of days and it explores his relation to Ginny Fistoulari, his boss and former partner , his alcoholism and his tribulations because he killed his brother by mistake...no, here we go!

CHAPTER ONE

We meet Brew(not even his enemies calls him Mick!) siting in a bar, the Hegira, contemplating life and the existing moment. We come to understand he has been drinking fo a couple of days. He is in a state of mind that looking into a glass of amber-coloured alcohol promises paradise, a paradise only alcoholics can fathom and is rarely encounterd even by such a person. It is night. This peaceful and quiet moment is destroyed when Ginny enters the bar. Everything stops. This is a bar she never enters and not in this fashion. No definitely not this way. She destroys his moment of bliss coming looking for him. The moment Brew takes the glass to his mouth to drink she stops his hand and gets his attention. She tells him that his niece is missing, Alathea, his dead brothers daughter. Brew's mind goes kind of blank and they leave the bar.

Well, this is in short what happens, it doesn't look much, but the chapter is short, very short, only six pages. And the place where everything is happening is inside Brew's head. It is written totally from his POV, and we are there, in his mind, sharing his thoughts, following his line of thinking, his description of the surroundings, the bar, it's people, the light. All this creates an atmosphere that is very noirish , a great opening chapter to this whole series. Look here...this begins the book...
I was sitting at the bar of the Hegira when Ginny came in. The barkeep, an ancient sad-eyed patriarch named José, hasd just poured me another drink, and I was having one of those rare moments any serious drunk can tell you about. Apiece of real quiet. José's cheeks bristled because he didn't shave very often, and his apron was dingy because it didn't get washed very often, and his fingernails had littele crescents of grime under them. The glass he poured for me wasn't all that clean. But the stuff he poured was golden-amber and beautiful, like distilled sunlight, and it made the whole place soothing as sleep-which drunks now how to value because they don't get much of it.
It made the dull old fly-brown santos against the wall behind the bootles look like saints knew what they were doing and it made the drinkers at the tables look peaceful and happy. It made the men playing pool in the back of the room look like they were moving in slow-motion, flowing through the air as if it were syrup. It made José look wise and patient behind his stubble and his groggy eyes. It was one of those rare moments when everything is in the right place, and there's a soft gold light shining on it, and you feel like you're being healed. It never lasts-but you always think it will, if you just stay where you are and don't stop drinking.
This is the bliss of alcohol. So seductive, and in comes Ginny and destroys it all...

As I said, not much happen but in Brew's mind. But what this do is give charachter. We follow Brew's meandering thoughts on how and why he drinks, when Ginny enters we are given her history and her looks and we understand that he is attracted to her but dare not do anything about it (yet). In digressions he tells us about Puerta del Sol, the city where this story takes place how it looks, where the rich and poor lives and so on. In between things that are happening a lot is told to us...
I had the right to be surprised. For one thing, she had no bussiness walking into the Hegira like that-especially at night. The Hegira is down in the old part of puerta del Sol, on Eighth Street between Oak and Maple. Cities are like that : The old parts-where the descendants and countrymen of the founders live-have street names like"Eight" and "Oak". The rich suburbs-half of them built in the last ten years-have flashier names like "Tenochtitlán" and "Montezuma". And in the old part of town women don't go into bars at all. When the chicano and Mestizo and Indian women want their men to come out, they stand on the sidewalk and send in their children.
It is as noir it can get, some would certainly call it hardboiled, I do...
"Good damn it, Brew"-she had one of those voices thatcan do anything, melt in your mouth or tear the skin off your bones-"you're going to come with me or I'll swear to God I'll let you have it right here." At the moment she sounded like a pistol being whipped. She didn't shout-she didn't have to. When she used that tone on me, there was no question about which one of us was in charge.
I think I'll stop here. I could go on quoting paragraph after paragraph but hope I have left material to continue the discussion from...

kasten
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Kasten, you do justice to a truly rich opening chapter. SRD "sees" and conveys everything Brew sees, feels, and thinks, making an atmosphere so complete that we are surrounded by it. We even understand it, because SRD describes it so unflinchingly. I think it's amazing how thoroughly SRD lays the groundwork for the series in these few pages, simply by telling us Brew's view of his present surroundings and expectations.

When Ginny comes in, breaking all the rules and ignoring the danger, we learn a great deal about her between the lines, too. To continue a quote from where Kasten stopped:
So much for my being mad. I've never been able to be mad at her at the same time she was mad at me.
This balance is one of the things that intrigues me about Brew's relationship with Ginny. It shores up their relationship during the hard times, during this period when Brew isn't strong enough to stand on his own feet.

It's easy to see why Brew admires Ginny so much. What we don't yet see is why Brew hates himself so much. Or the circumstances that made his frightened sister-in-law hate him so much. That comes in the next chapter.

I'm copying this over from another thread:
I wrote:A nurse I know on-line read this recently. She used to be supervisor of a substance abuse clinic. She ... said Brew was "realistic and believable." She felt like she got extra understanding from seeing through Brew's eyes. She cared so much about him that she was "proud of him" when he kept turning down drinks.
Brew is already a character to care about, in just 6 pages.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The early chapters, especially the first, are to be enjoyed. We get to see Brew down in it. I especially like the way the color of the (Scotch?) gives its color to the whole room in that scene. I almost feel like I'm looking out at the bar from inside the bottle.

Honestly, I felt a little upset with Ginny from the start by disrupting that peace.

Great job, Kasten.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Caer Sylvanus wrote: I especially like the way the color of the (Scotch?) gives its color to the whole room in that scene. I almost feel like I'm looking out at the bar from inside the bottle.
Yes, "amber-glow" shines through the whole chapter. If you don't read carefully you might get the impression that it's day...

kasten
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Just bought MWKHB and read Chapter 1. I have to agree with Variol Farseer who, before he saw Andelian (in the NM Jemez Mts.), at Elohimfest remarked, "...the second I set foot in Albuquerque I knew I'd found Puerta del Sol.". Indeed, the Hegira is exactly like the El Madrid-one of the seediest bars in town-under Lead (not Tin 8) ) street's bridge that spans the railroad yard on it's way to into downtown and then to oldtown. It's also the type of bar that women never enter and slightly an eyebrow is raised if someone gets shot at. Ginny's a tough babe and Mick's a big dude! Amber glows like that can come from Jack Daniels too... :wink:
fall far and well Pilots!
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Way cool, Danlo! This is even more authenticity than we thought! Please, give us more! :)

Kasten, remember what I said about the amber glow? I wouldn't know myself, but it sure sounded like the voice of experience to me.
Syl wrote:I almost feel like I'm looking out at the bar from inside the bottle.
This is so well put, Syl.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Yeah! That was some cool info Danlo. I concur with Dragonlily: give us more! It's always nice to find connections to the "real world". I wonder if there's a "society" similar to the one we read about in TMWKHB in Albuquerque for instance?

(My first post in two months, feels good to be back...)

kasten
Expansion is meaningless without restriction; restriction is useless without expansion. But put them together and you get, well, a balloon.-SRD

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”