Worm food?

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

QuantumMechanic
Servant of the Land

Worm food?

Post by QuantumMechanic »

So the book ends with the sun failing to rise and the stars winking out.

Can we take this to mean that the Worm has already devoured all the Elohim (and if so, thank the Creator for that! :)) since it is moving on to other things? Or are the sun and stars linked to the Elohim? I'd tend to think not, given the Elohim's description as "earthpower incarnate."
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

There is a link between stars and Elohim, in the creation stories. [though it requires aspects of 2, maybe 3, different stories being connected, if I'm remembering correctly.] And before it came to rest, the Worm ate stars.
It certainly seems to imply that all, or most of the Elohim are gone [some may be in Jerry's bone box...but that's still uncertain, wasn't explicit.] and the Worm has turned towards the Land. Like the sun, the Isles [one tree and Elemesnedene] are to the east.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

The Elohim are the 'appetizers' - the Earthblood is the 'main course' :biggrin:
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

The Worm is supposed to exist physically on the Earth. It's been seen in TOT. If so, and was still sleeping in the direction of where the Isle of the One Tree once was, then I'd say Vraith has a pretty good point about why the sun is not rising.

I also recall that when the Worm was disturbed in TOT, stars filled the chamber in the Isle. I believe that's what took part of Vain's arm, and ultimately what Seadreamer died to put an end to.

The Worm is related to the stars somehow, whether or not he physically devours them.
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

It hasnt eaten all the Elohim; because Kassy is still around.

Unless Kassy is too spicy for the weak tongued Worm to eat? Someone get this giant creature of death and destruction a glass of milk - he can't take his hot sauce.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Heh. Maybe Kassy would make the Worm gassy....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

The concept of a flatulent Worm lends itself to whole new lines of speculation about SRD's intentions.

Lurch may find that tantalizing...but I do not believe it for a second.

edit: Ali, I just noticed the rhyme you did. Let us all hope DPJ is not reading the AATE threads!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

OMG, apocalyptic Worm flatulence...

I think I'm gonna hurl!

:throwup:
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

--Jean Gebser
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

maybe thats how Foul finally gets finished - he catches a full blow gaseous bomb from the Worm's behind - he gets blown out the cosmos. i wander if kassy speaks in a Mexican voice.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I don't think the stars and even the sun are "disappearing".
Wasn't it mentioned that there is a massive haze coming in from the West that was blocking the stars and then the sun?
I thought it indicated the destruction caused to the Earth by the Worm.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:I don't think the stars and even the sun are "disappearing".
Wasn't it mentioned that there is a massive haze coming in from the West that was blocking the stars and then the sun?
I thought it indicated the destruction caused to the Earth by the Worm.
I believe (somewhat conjectural, but I thought about this while I was reading the book) that the "haze" was not physical, not dust or anything like that. The "haze" was simply the blue color leeching out of the sky because the sunlight that goes into creating the sky's color was diminishing.

The sun is, in any cosmos, simply another star, and in this case, Worm food.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
The sun is, in any cosmos, simply another star, and in this case, Worm food.
Woah, is it possible that the Worm is somehow consuming sunlight, and thereby the sun?

8O
--Saltheart Foamfollower

--Jean Gebser
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

If the Worm has already consumed the sun, then it's pretty darned close to the Earth. Why would a being that's homing in on Earthblood start with the sun, and then work out to the stars? I begin to think the disappearance of the sun is due to something else.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
wryberg1
Servant of the Land

Post by wryberg1 »

I think all of the Elohim are in the Bone Construct. I believe they will be freed at the end of the last dark. I think they will end up being protected in the construct from the worm and will be freed after covenant saves the Land.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Since SWMNBN is now awake, I wonder if Kevins dirt is now increased to a point where it blocks part of the sun and the light from stars.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

wryberg1 wrote:I think all of the Elohim are in the Bone Construct. I believe they will be freed at the end of the last dark. I think they will end up being protected in the construct from the worm and will be freed after covenant saves the Land.
I think the Elohim...at least some of them..will be saved...but if I read another post correctly, SRD said the Elohim aren't trapped yet. [ in Columbus conversation].
I'm pretty sure you're right Ali...the Worm isn't eating sun/stars yet, but have only weak speculations on why/how Worm and sun/star things are connected right this moment in the book. [pretty similar to HLT's].

But that is a very interesting idea SB, that SHE's wakefulness increased the scope of the Dirt...not sure I buy it, but definitely hmmmm worthy.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
QuantumMechanic
Servant of the Land

Post by QuantumMechanic »

wryberg1 wrote:I think all of the Elohim are in the Bone Construct.
But the bone construct disintegrated while Jeremiah's mind was freed. So there is no more bone construct.
madship
Servant of the Land

The Elohim are the stars

Post by madship »

I thought I remembered in the original description of The Worm, that it gorged on the cosmos leaving individual stars in the sky. That the stars were music and that each Elohim was a representation of the each stars song.

It would follow that as an Elohim is eaten a star disappears.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Re: The Elohim are the stars

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

madship wrote:I thought I remembered in the original description of The Worm, that it gorged on the cosmos leaving individual stars in the sky. That the stars were music and that each Elohim was a representation of the each stars song.

Hmmm, that makes sense. A lot of sense. :)
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Re: The Elohim are the stars

Post by Rigel »

madship wrote:I thought I remembered in the original description of The Worm, that it gorged on the cosmos leaving individual stars in the sky. That the stars were music and that each Elohim was a representation of the each stars song.

I love it... you've just given me an excuse to re-read the 2nd chrons :)
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information

Return to “Against All Things Ending”